Who would surprise you as the Bills 1st round pick?

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better way to title this. I don't mean some guy projected to go in the 7th or undrafted. I am talking about a guy like Darby last year. Not many people were talking about him but it made sense. Obviously Rankins, Nkemdiche, Spence, Butler, Ragland, and Lee are names that we see a lot of. Who is a guy that they either take at 19 (or up or back) that would really surprise you?

For me I am thinking William Jackson III. I have yet to see his name linked to the Bills but if they don't think that they will get Gilmore extended it makes sense. You can either trade Gilmore or use his cap space elsewhere next year. I don't see it as likely but the point of the thread is an unlikely 1st rounder.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better way to title this. I don't mean some guy projected to go in the 7th or undrafted. I am talking about a guy like Darby last year. Not many people were talking about him but it made sense. Obviously Rankins, Nkemdiche, Spence, Butler, Ragland, and Lee are names that we see a lot of. Who is a guy that they either take at 19 (or up or back) that would really surprise you?

For me I am thinking William Jackson III. I have yet to see his name linked to the Bills but if they don't think that they will get Gilmore extended it makes sense. You can either trade Gilmore or use his cap space elsewhere next year. I don't see it as likely but the point of the thread is an unlikely 1st rounder.

Good topic.

As a surprise, I'll go with Karl Joseph. Nobody's talking about him, but he's a guy that many teams are going to look at in the 20-35 range if he checks out medically. He also fits the mold of the hammer-style safety that Rex LOVES.

I might also throw a mauling OLmen like Germain Ifedi in there if we really want to talk shockers.

I'll tell you who won't surprise me: Kevin Dodd. I'm starting to think that he's a very serious consideration at 19. He's got great size, enough speed, and he can play all the way from 9-tech down to the 3-tech on passing downs--fitting odd or even fronts.

It might be surprising, but I think we are taking Paxton Lynch.

Please, no.

I think Joseph is a good shout from Bandit. I have a solid 1st round grade on him. Josh Doctson would be the other surprise that could, in a way, make sense.

I think the second round is where we are more likely to see a surprise if, again, a player at a non-need position falls. There's just too great a chance of players at need positions being top BPAs at 19.

A Quarterback in the 2nd round maybe?

@TyDunne

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch dined with the #Bills last night, as ESPN first reported. Team needs D but has made it clear it's thinking QB, too.

Given Glenn / Gilmore / Tyrod's contract situations, I'm worried we might find ourselves in a Denver situation with what happened with Jackson/Miller/Brock. I think Whaley will want to have his back covered if Tyrod is the guy he can't tag and gets blown away with an offer.

It might be surprising, but I think we are taking Paxton Lynch.

nah, smokescreen IMO. They want someone to trade up for him, IMO. They did the same thing with Bryce Petty last year, trying to seem all interested in him. Jmo of course. Then again I'm not a fan of any of these QBs really in the 1st round.

Given Glenn / Gilmore / Tyrod's contract situations, I'm worried we might find ourselves in a Denver situation with what happened with Jackson/Miller/Brock. I think Whaley will want to have his back covered if Tyrod is the guy he can't tag and gets blown away with an offer.

@billsupdates

2016 NFL Draft rumors: #Bills' OC Greg Roman met with Memphis QB Paxton Lynch http://ow.ly/10m9yN

I would be surprised if ANY offensive player were selected in the first round. REX has his defensive reputation on the line, and he will force Whaley to get him some guns in the first few rounds. Would not surprise me if we didn't see an O player until the 4th round. More screwed up results from a setup where the head coach reports to the owner and can go around the GM to the boss when he wants to. So, Terry can make the pick.......no hope imho for a best player available selection. Rex will force a draft of whoever he thinks can help save his D reputation the most. If the Wr from ol Miss is there, he should be the pick....but, that can never happen with the management structure.

Edited by bigK14094

nah, smokescreen IMO. They want someone to trade up for him, IMO. They did the same thing with Bryce Petty last year, trying to seem all interested in him. Jmo of course. Then again I'm not a fan of any of these QBs really in the 1st round.

This

Please, no.

I think Joseph is a good shout from Bandit. I have a solid 1st round grade on him. Josh Doctson would be the other surprise that could, in a way, make sense.

This too! Big ,leaper and explosive

Edited by The Thurmanator

I would be surprised if ANY offensive player were selected in the first round. REX has his reputation on the line, and he will force Whaley to get him some guns in the first few rounds. Would not surprise me if we didn't see an O player until the 4th round. More screwed up results from a setup where the head coach reports to the owner and can go around the GM to the boss when he wants to. So, Terry can make the pick.......no hope imho for a best player available selection. Rex will force a draft of whoever he thinks can help save his D reputation the most. If the Wr from ol Miss is there, he should be the pick....but, that can never happen with the management structure.

You do know that many NFL teams do it this way, right? Off the top of my head:

Buffalo

NE

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Houston

KC

Seattle

LA

SF

Arizona

Dallas

That's more than 1/3 of the league.

You do know that many NFL teams do it this way, right? Off the top of my head:

Buffalo

NE

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Houston

KC

Seattle

LA

SF

Arizona

Dallas

That's more than 1/3 of the league.

There was a list on here not that long ago (within the last year). It was roughly 1/2. Both teams that I worked for were structured that way and it wasn't an issue. In fact, I think the opposite. It kept them more accountable.

If I owned a team I would do the same thing. It is hard to hold the GM accountable when he can point the finger at his direct report (the coach) first. In the Bills case I believe Rex to be a much bigger issue than Whaley but the point remains. What if it was the other way around? Whaley could have Rex fall on the sword 1st before ownership held the GM responsible.

QB - is the most important "long" term need. the position is unsettled.

NT - is the most important "short" term need. we don't have one on the roster.

OLB would make the biggest short term impact.

OL strengthening the right side of the OL is most important for offense.