Looks like Donte Whitner cut by Browns

i know we missed on other players in that draft, but i am not blaming whitner for where he was drafted. he has performed better than 98% of those who were drafted or were undfa that year.

98%? Math isn't your thing, is it? :lol:

Whitner had some good years......none in Buffalo where he couldn't beat out a UDFA converted WR in George Wilson.

His selection was the epitome of a cart-before-horse decision.......he didn't emerge until he was playing behind the best front 7 in football and when one of them missed the SB he was targeted and abused.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner had some good years......none in Buffalo where he couldn't beat out a UDFA converted WR in George Wilson.

His selection was the epitome of a cart-before-horse decision.......he didn't emerge until he was playing behind the best front 7 in football and when one of them missed the SB he was targeted and abused.

how many other players from the 2006 draft have made multiple pro bowls.

To be fair, he had a great season the subsequent year. Really.

The pro bowls he saw were almost entirely the result of being the toady behind the top front 7 in the NFL in SF.

His rep soon dissipated in Cleveland. Undersized, not good in coverage.

By your standard he's been a better player than Kyle Williams.......which simply is not the case.

The pick was a case of taking a low floor player at a non-premium position when the team lacked front line talent at key positions. Poor drafting by the team and he's an assh*le to boot.

Edited by #BADOL

To be fair, he had a great season the subsequent year. Really.

Like I said......the key to Whitner was that he was playing behind the best front 7 in the NFL.

He was so "great" that they let him walk in favor of Antoine Bethea in 2014 and Bethea then played considerably BETTER behind a still very effective but lesser front 7.

The pro bowls he saw were almost entirely the result of being the toady behind the top front 7 in the NFL in SF.

His rep soon dissipated in Cleveland. Undersized, not good in coverage.

By your standard he's been a better player than Kyle Williams.......which simply is not the case.

The pick was a case of taking a low floor player at a non-premium position when the team lacked front line talent at key positions. Poor drafting by the team and he's an assh*le to boot.

by my standard, he is equal to kyle williams. probably about 400 players entered the league in 2006. of those, how many have made to just 2 pro bowls?

45 players from that draft made the pro bowl. reggie bush - he never did.

that was a very talented draft. but i do not know off of the top of my head how many made it to multiple pro bowls. donte made 3.

There is a difference between a bad pick and a "whiff" or a "bust." Whitner and CJ Spiller were not whiffs or busts they were talented guys who have had some good seasons in the NFL.

But they were bad picks. They were bad picks by the Buffalo Bills for exactly the reason Badol has explained. They were top 10 picks at non premium positions without being the rare special physical specimins to justify such investment on a team that had questions at Quarterback, tackle, receiver and corner.

Whitner's career has had its ups and downs but juat because he has had some pro-bowl years does not mean the Bills' decision in 2006 was justified.

Other than Whitner? There are 30 from that Draft who have made more than one Pro Bowl.

Andrew Whitworth 2

Antoine Bethea 3

Antonio Cromartie 4

Brandon Marshall 6

D'Brickashaw Ferguson 3

Davin Joseph 2

DeMeco Ryans 2

Devin Hester 3

Donte Whitner 3

Elvis Dumervil 4

Greg Jennings 2

Haloti Ngata 5

Jahri Evans 6

John Kuhn 3

Jonathan Joseph 2

Kyle Williams 4

Leon Washington 2

Marcus McNeill 2

Mario Williams 4

Maurice Jones-Drew 3

Miles Austin 2

Montell Owens 2

Nick Mangold 7

Owen Daniels 2

Richie Incognito 2

Roman Harper 2

Stephen Gostkowski 4

Tamba Hali 5

Tim Jennings 2

Vernon Davis 2

Vince Young 2

There is a difference between a bad pick and a "whiff" or a "bust." Whitner and CJ Spiller were not whiffs or busts they were talented guys who have had some good seasons in the NFL.

But they were bad picks. They were bad picks by the Buffalo Bills for exactly the reason Badol has explained. They were top 10 picks at non premium positions without being the rare special physical specimins to justify such investment on a team that had questions at Quarterback, tackle, receiver and corner.

Whitner's career has had its ups and downs but juat because he has had some pro-bowl years does not mean the Bills' decision in 2006 was justified.

GB - I can accept that edit from my original post. Well said.

Whitner never lived up to where he was drafted, but he has still been better than safeties in the league. I think there is probably too much baggage between Whitner and Buffalo but we do need more safeties. Having said that, I think he's out of our price range anyway.

The Whitner pick was epically bad on so many levels. Marv Levy screwed up royally. If you really wanted to pick a player here, then Haloti Ngata was by far the BPA. But in the context of that draft, the Bills missed a huge opportunity to trade down and grab a boatload of picks. Leinart was still on the board, and there were a lot of teams that wanted to move up to grab him. In those days before the rookie wage cap, the Bills probably could have picked up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd in that draft, and maybe a 1st and 2nd in next year's draft. Instead, we got Whitner, a middling safety. Whitner was a worse pick than Mike Williams, who at least was the consensus pick, even though every GM in the NFL was wrong on Williams.

by my standard, he is equal to kyle williams. probably about 400 players entered the league in 2006. of those, how many have made to just 2 pro bowls?

45 players from that draft made the pro bowl. reggie bush - he never did.

that was a very talented draft. but i do not know off of the top of my head how many made it to multiple pro bowls. donte made 3.

Whitner mostly sucked.

Whitner mostly sucked.

It was cool when the bills and him were getting torched and he would tackle people in the end zone though. That was fun

Other than Whitner? There are 30 from that Draft who have made more than one Pro Bowl.

Andrew Whitworth 2

Antoine Bethea 3

Antonio Cromartie 4

Brandon Marshall 6

D'Brickashaw Ferguson 3

Davin Joseph 2

DeMeco Ryans 2

Devin Hester 3

Donte Whitner 3

Elvis Dumervil 4

Greg Jennings 2

Haloti Ngata 5

Jahri Evans 6

John Kuhn 3

Jonathan Joseph 2

Kyle Williams 4

Leon Washington 2

Marcus McNeill 2

Mario Williams 4

Maurice Jones-Drew 3

Miles Austin 2

Montell Owens 2

Nick Mangold 7

Owen Daniels 2

Richie Incognito 2

Roman Harper 2

Stephen Gostkowski 4

Tamba Hali 5

Tim Jennings 2

Vernon Davis 2

Vince Young 2

10 of them have made more than 3 pro bowls. 5 have made 3.

so 13 of the likely 400 players to enter the league that attained the status whitner did.

I agree with this.

I always thought him being drafted so high was a case of drafting for position instead of BPA. It was my belief at the time that the Bills had targeted Michael Huff and when he went with the 7th pick to Oakland the Bills just went with their #2 choice at safety.

10 of them have made more than 3 pro bowls. 5 have made 3.

so 13 of the likely 400 players to enter the league that attained the status whitner did.

As has been said.......there are many more factors when determining how successful a player has been.

Ruben Brown made 9 pro bowls and was a 4 time all pro..........more decorated than many HOF's.......and yet he really isn't in consideration for that honor because of the value of his position and the understanding that many of those pro bowls were based on factors other than his game.

But at least Brown did what he did without needing the best players around him to do so.

Whitner also plays a devalued position.......and had he gone to Cleveland directly after Buffalo he makes zero pro bowls because his success in SF was the direct result of being behind a great front 7...........if that wasn't clear to the eye before he cost his team the SB then it should have become clear when Antoine Bethea.......a sixth rounder from that same draft........was able to replace him and play much better in 2014.

Whitner is certainly one of the top 100 players to come out in 2006 but his "accolades" mean little to me because he's never been more than a complementary player. I mean has he been better than a guy like Vernon Davis because he's made more pro bowls? Not hardly. Give me difference makers any day over toadies that need to be surrounded with All Pros to stand out. Whitner is going to finish his career averaging around 1 interception and 1 FF per season. :thumbdown:

I get what you're saying, but where the Bills are concerned specifically does it really matter?

The Bills needed a DT desperately and passed on an absolute monster...And he was not a sleeper, unknown monster...He was a Pac 10 Defensive Player Of The Year/Consensus 1st Team All American monster...We all know who they should have Drafted instead of Whitner...I was literally jumping up and down in my LR chanting Ngata!!! Ngata!!! Ngata!!!

Then I had a heart attack when the pick was announced...

I could care less about any other prospect in that draft not named Ngata...That should have been the pick...End of story... B-)

I realize that's not Whitner's fault though...

Edited by KOKBILLS

Yes, they were luxury picks by a team that didn't have the luxury of making them. I don't know why pros can't understand this.