RIP Eugene Parker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Bills' LB Eugene Marve and also a Bills' LB Irvin Parker. I believe you're combining the two names

Eugene "Magic Marker" Parker - he wrote his number down in that and not pencil, that's for sure.

As a fan he could make you crazy, because he didn't work for us. He worked damn hard for his clients and you have to respect that. More importantly, his family and friends just lost a loved one. RIP

He may have been a pain in negotiations with teams to get his clients the best deal, but I never heard anything truly bad about him. He wasn't Drew Rosenhaus.......

That doesn't exactly instill confidence. I can just image his eulogy "As a member of the esteemed NFL agent profession, he is not to be remembered as a man of strong moral compass...but he was no Drew Rosenhaus"

That doesn't exactly instill confidence. I can just image his eulogy "As a member of the esteemed NFL agent profession, he is not to be remembered as a man of strong moral compass...but he was no Drew Rosenhaus"

LOL

Built his business from the ground up and put his clients first. In an industry where integrity can be found wanting, he is universally respected by those who he had to negotiate against. I think that says it all. RIP.

Come on. Let's not go that far. He put himself first and his clients benefited as a result. Not to say this is unique to Parker, as most agents do the same. Can you honestly say his treatment of the Byrd situation was best for the player? He may have earned a fatter paycheck, but his career has definitely gone downhill. Money made should not be the major criteria for a successful career.

Lot of haters toward Parker over his career. All that tells me is he was really damn good at what he did. We only knew of him professionally and knew very little outside of that. Sounds like a very successful business man and hopefully just as successful outside of work. 60 is too young. I hope his family can find peace in time.

Come on. Let's not go that far. He put himself first and his clients benefited as a result. Not to say this is unique to Parker, as most agents do the same. Can you honestly say his treatment of the Byrd situation was best for the player? He may have earned a fatter paycheck, but his career has definitely gone downhill. Money made should not be the major criteria for a successful career.

Agents do what their players want. If money is important, their agents get the most they can.

This is what I think. He definitely didn't leave a dime on the table - as has been said many times up above.............And, I don't think that's a good thing.

Having players gain their leverage that he talked about by reporting but holding out in their own ways - that is horrible for the sport, wasn't good for Byrd (seems like Peters was able to turn the switch back on once he got what he wanted), and unethical in my opinion.

This is what I think. He definitely didn't leave a dime on the table - as has been said many times up above.............And, I don't think that's a good thing.

Having players gain their leverage that he talked about by reporting but holding out in their own ways - that is horrible for the sport, wasn't good for Byrd (seems like Peters was able to turn the switch back on once he got what he wanted), and unethical in my opinion.

You think byrds career would be substantially better had he resigned in buff for 7.5m per?

Agents do what their players want. If money is important, their agents get the most they can.

No they don't. Players want to play football. That's why they have an agent. The problem is this:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/04/jairus_byrd_eugene_parker_was.html

Eugene was a "father figure" to Byrd. And this probably occurs with a lot of these athletes who grew up with an absent father. These agents know exactly what to say to manipulate their clients weaknesses in order to get what they want. The agent is going to convince their client "not the underestimate the value of their time and skills" and not to accept one dime less. Because at the end of the day, they're not the ones who now have to uproot their family. They're not the ones who suddenly need to learn a new system and make new friends. They couldn't care less.

You think byrds career would be substantially better had he resigned in buff for 7.5m per?

Likely. But, it's not so black and white. What about signing with a different team instead of the one who offered him the most money? Now he's stuck in a quagmire. A defense so bad it rewrote the history books.

What about this question: would Byrds career been substantially better if not for Parker instilling in him the idea that feigning injury could be an effective bargaining tool? These are very impressionable young men, especially when advice is coming from a "father figure". But, once a player crosses that line, he's done as a competitor. There's no undoing that.

Edited by Saint Doug