3-29: Rex on NFL Network - "WE HAVE TO FINISH BETTER"

How do you know that this team will have less talented players?

What if the bills draft a talented player to replace Mario?

What if the bill draft a talented linebacker to replace Bradham

Everyone else returns intact.

Keep in mind......those two players didnt exactly light it up in last years scheme. Suppose they find better scheme fits in the draft and execution is better?

Its not like we let players go that blew it up in last years defense.

I know the narrative is that Mario is terrible now but he is arguably a top 3 talented DE in all of football. He was a 2nd all pro player 2 years ago and had double digits sacks in every season as a Bill before Rex.

The % the Bills draft a more talented DE than Mario is like 1%.

Also John, every player except Manny Lawson regressed in the defense. Let's not pretend like it was just Mario and Nigel.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the narrative is that Mario is terrible now but he is arguably a top 3 talented DE in all of football. He was a 2nd all pro player 2 years ago and had double digits sacks in every season as a Bill before Rex.

The % the Bills draft a more talented DE than Mario is like 1%.

Also John, every player except Manny Lawson regressed in the defense. Let's not pretend like it was just Mario and Nigel.

In year 1 Biscuit

Do we really want a player that gives a half ass effort starting for us?

There is a possibility that while the player that is replacing Mario may not be as talented....but because he gives 100 percent and plays his position correctly actually gives us better play. It is not ALL about the physical talent. You actually have to execute as well?

I have said this before.....when a guy like Alex Carrington comes in and gives you the exact same production as Mario Williams.....what does that say about Mario?

Edit....I fully expect mario to be good for the fins......for about a year

Edited by John from Hemet

Everyone is mad at Rex and his 8-8 team. People forget things weren't supposed to go this way. Who knew our scumbag coach would opt out and essentially put us back into a somewhat rebuilding mode. We were a whole game better under Marrone with a bull **** win in NE to finish the season. Figure we would have won against jax this year if we had Tyrod under center, and the win/loss record is identical. Yet we cry as if we should be in the playoffs, something we haven't done in almost 2 decades. Which brings me to another point. Kyle orton retired...how many games did ppl think we were gonna win with EJ, or whichever bum they brought in to "compete." At least w Rex we might actually have a franchise qb. W rex we have some real coaches who want to be here, not giddy college coaches who are playing catch with Blake Bortles now. The O-line is shored up and we have an identity on offense. The defense wasn't the same, communication lacked, and players didn't seem to understand the scheme. Remove team leaders in Kyle Williams, and Aaron Williams, plus a cancerous bitchy winer crying "but our last scheme worked" in Mario Williams, and you have guys not buying in. Add a year of familiarality, the return of injured leaders (also good players), addition by subtraction with the departure of Mario, additional coaches who know the scheme inside and out. I love the Ed Reed signing, and hopefully a couple of key draft picks and I totally expect this defense to get better. If it doesn't...then we'll idk.

I could not unnerstand a word of what you wrote

:nana:

This is a very good post. I hate the way we analyze everything coaches say. It means little. I didn't care if Jauron was the most boring human being if we won.

But when you run your mouth constantly and don't back it up, it just looks dumb and gets tiring. Especially after last season. I want Rex to just coach and hold players accountable. He is too concerned with winning press conferences and being buddies with the players.

you really still think he is running his mouth?

I have been watching most of his interviews and i just don't see that.

He came out of the gate all bluster for sure. But i just am not feeling he is that same guy in front of the Mic anymore

He is who he is and they weren't winners or losers last year at 8-8.

This is why i think folks are just carrying around years of baggage.

One year in all new staff.

8-8

I respect your perspective John. I used to be called a homer (like wanting your favorite team to do good is a bad thing). It is a lot more fun to be excited about the next season.

But there is zero way we are better going into this season than we were last season. We had a top 3 D and a 2nd team all pro DE going into last year. TT showed glimpses but everyone seems to think it is a guarantee that he will improve next year. I've seen enough Qbs regress once the league gets more tape on them.

I hope you are right. And football is the sport where chemistry can trump overall talent. But we are in a worse spot than we were at this point last year. But I love your Spirit John. I was that way until the last 2 years. :(

I love foregone conclusions. Close all the doors and windows Mildred. I like the smell of mildew.

I am kidding you Brother but wow.

I don't even get arguing so strongly for the negative. From anyone. I also realize there is a chance this is the last year for Rex.

Let it roll, we can watch or not watch. And those that do year after year, secretly hold out hope.

This year's defense will have less-talented players, but the scheme will stay the same. I don't know how that's going to equate to being better.

This team got markedly worse from 2014 - 2015. That's inexcusable and indefensible.

Why will the team have less talented players Gug? Have not even hit the draft yet.

O you mean Mario. well then...

Ass-clown in charge.

you mean pegula ?

Everyone is mad at Rex and his 8-8 team. People forget things weren't supposed to go this way. Who knew our scumbag coach would opt out and essentially put us back into a somewhat rebuilding mode. We were a whole game better under Marrone with a bull **** win in NE to finish the season. Figure we would have won against jax this year if we had Tyrod under center, and the win/loss record is identical. Yet we cry as if we should be in the playoffs, something we haven't done in almost 2 decades. Which brings me to another point. Kyle orton retired...how many games did ppl think we were gonna win with EJ, or whichever bum they brought in to "compete." At least w Rex we might actually have a franchise qb. W rex we have some real coaches who want to be here, not giddy college coaches who are playing catch with Blake Bortles now. The O-line is shored up and we have an identity on offense. The defense wasn't the same, communication lacked, and players didn't seem to understand the scheme. Remove team leaders in Kyle Williams, and Aaron Williams, plus a cancerous bitchy winer crying "but our last scheme worked" in Mario Williams, and you have guys not buying in. Add a year of familiarality, the return of injured leaders (also good players), addition by subtraction with the departure of Mario, additional coaches who know the scheme inside and out. I love the Ed Reed signing, and hopefully a couple of key draft picks and I totally expect this defense to get better. If it doesn't...then we'll idk.

I appreciate this post. :beer::thumbsup: It is very rational with none of the boohoo but we should have been good. 16 years and counting and he was here for 1 of them. Somehow this team was supposed to be amazing and was terrible. Even though it was a new coach, new system, and way more injuries. This terrible team was exactly 1 game worse than the amazing team.

Did you and others really think that yet another coaching change in Buffalo was going to go without bumps and issues? Rex is to be faulted for assuming his scheme would simply work with the talent on the roster. It was his fault for mixing systems. However, he did bring in a very good OC, TT would likely not be in Buffalo if he was not and the Bills improved in the balk half of the season.

The bottom line in the NFL is that you have to have a very solid QB to win. There are sometimes exceptions, Broncos last year being one of them, but they are rare and usually short lived successes. Our division features perhaps the most cheating but also the most competitive QB to play the game. The Bills have an uphill climb.

Rex is hardly the sole reason for blame.

Another good post. I have to admit the pissing and moaning around here has really soiled what is probably the best place for Bills talk for me.

I'm sorry but 8-8 is losing. We had to beat Kellen Moore and a terrible Cowboys team and Fitz (who some think is awful) to even get to 8-8.

I'll turn the page but last year sucked as much as it could possibly suck.

The year before with "one of the best defenses you have ever seen" as you put it they finished exactly 1 game better. If the 2014 team didn't get to play the jv pats* squad they would have finished with the same record. If TT plays in London or the refs don't make one of the worst PI calls they finish with the same record. You can play this game every year. Bottom line is the team was 1 game worse. Rex didn't ruin anything he just didn't deliver on the (ridiculous) expectations everyone had this last year.

Last year was such a buzzkill. How can you be optimistic this year after last year?

For many reasons...

1. I'm a Bills fan. This is not even close to the worst product they have trotted out onto the field.

2. Rex's history of top 10 defenses makes me think he will get it corrected on the defensive end.

3. Sammy and TT. I can't wait to see if TT has improved and what that means for Sammy

4. 16 Sundays out of the year I get to watch my favorite team play my favorite sport. I am always optimistic when I wake up Sunday morning.

5. I enjoy Rex and his bluster way more than Marrone, Jauron, Gailey, Mularkey, or Williams personality.

6. The divisional record. 4-2 tells me they are likely the second best team in the division. They swept the Jets and Fins which was very enjoyable and got beat by the Pats* (what else is new)

7. The RB combo of Karlos and Shady. With the entire line being back for the first time in about 20 years I am excited to watch them pound the rock

8. Whatever rookie they pick I will enjoy watching and hoping he turns into a stud. Whaley has a pretty good track record since taking over and I can't wait to see what we end up with

Last year was the first time that I stopped taking the Bills so seriously and it was fantastic. Losses didn't bother me as much and wins were great. It is a sport for entertainment purposes. As much as I hoped, nothing I do on my end effects the outcome of the game. So I enjoy getting together with my friends on Sunday and watching the game. There is much more for me to list but it really boils down to I am always optimistic because the other choice is to be one of the many people on here that piss and moan constantly. If it makes me ignorant or a homer I don't really care. Every single Sunday I wake up during football season I hope and expect a Bills win.

I'm sorry but 8-8 is losing. We had to beat Kellen Moore and a terrible Cowboys team and Fitz (who some think is awful) to even get to 8-8.

I'll turn the page but last year sucked as much as it could possibly suck.

Considering everyones expectations. From OBD to the fans, and of course Ryan's big mouth, The win now mantra, etc.

last year absolutely sucked. if Ryan isn't coaching for his job this year somethng is very wrong.

This team was not in need of a "rex" rebuild on the defensive side. rex was clueless from game management

To using players he had. A 2014 top 5 defense, to nothing. 8-8 is the definition of a average team. A plateau the team

Only recently reached.

Except for those thinking the Ryan's can pull a deep run playoff team this season. 2016 could be frustrating.

Thinking that a huge draft success is where OBD are pinning their hopes is scary.

I appreciate this post. :beer::thumbsup: It is very rational with none of the boohoo but we should have been good. 16 years and counting and he was here for 1 of them. Somehow this team was supposed to be amazing and was terrible. Even though it was a new coach, new system, and way more injuries. This terrible team was exactly 1 game worse than the amazing team.

Another good post. I have to admit the pissing and moaning around here has really soiled what is probably the best place for Bills talk for me.

The year before with "one of the best defenses you have ever seen" as you put it they finished exactly 1 game better. If the 2014 team didn't get to play the jv pats* squad they would have finished with the same record. If TT plays in London or the refs don't make one of the worst PI calls they finish with the same record. You can play this game every year. Bottom line is the team was 1 game worse. Rex didn't ruin anything he just didn't deliver on the (ridiculous) expectations everyone had this last year.

For many reasons...

1. I'm a Bills fan. This is not even close to the worst product they have trotted out onto the field.

2. Rex's history of top 10 defenses makes me think he will get it corrected on the defensive end.

3. Sammy and TT. I can't wait to see if TT has improved and what that means for Sammy

4. 16 Sundays out of the year I get to watch my favorite team play my favorite sport. I am always optimistic when I wake up Sunday morning.

5. I enjoy Rex and his bluster way more than Marrone, Jauron, Gailey, Mularkey, or Williams personality.

6. The divisional record. 4-2 tells me they are likely the second best team in the division. They swept the Jets and Fins which was very enjoyable and got beat by the Pats* (what else is new)

7. The RB combo of Karlos and Shady. With the entire line being back for the first time in about 20 years I am excited to watch them pound the rock

8. Whatever rookie they pick I will enjoy watching and hoping he turns into a stud. Whaley has a pretty good track record since taking over and I can't wait to see what we end up with

Last year was the first time that I stopped taking the Bills so seriously and it was fantastic. Losses didn't bother me as much and wins were great. It is a sport for entertainment purposes. As much as I hoped, nothing I do on my end effects the outcome of the game. So I enjoy getting together with my friends on Sunday and watching the game. There is much more for me to list but it really boils down to I am always optimistic because the other choice is to be one of the many people on here that piss and moan constantly. If it makes me ignorant or a homer I don't really care. Every single Sunday I wake up during football season I hope and expect a Bills win.

Thank you for the considerate post.

We need a 2 minute offense.

We need the defense to get off the field after 3rd and long plays.

We need a consistent kicking game.

We need to play level headed, mot giving up stupid penalties.

We need to finish better, yes.

Boy we need alot!

But you are pretty spot on, in regard the areas to focus

Excellent! Cheers.

The negative Nancys here serve a purpose, though. Without them, all us Polliannas would get bored on this board.

This year's defense will have less-talented players, but the scheme will stay the same. I don't know how that's going to equate to being better.

This team got markedly worse from 2014 - 2015. That's inexcusable and indefensible.

Backend of the defense is the same - Mario was the wrong fit so good bye.

What makes you think that they will not add in the draft?

Look, I get it that you do not like Rex but the reality is that TT holds the keys to the season. He improved his play in the second half of the season and he has the potential to take another step forward.

Backend of the defense is the same - Mario was the wrong fit so good bye.

What makes you think that they will not add in the draft?

Look, I get it that you do not like Rex but the reality is that TT holds the keys to the season. He improved his play in the second half of the season and he has the potential to take another step forward.

I saw a lot of defensive players confused about what they were doing on the field last year......in fact the last game of the year against the jets was the best they looked all season I thought.

I am wondering just how bad the communication was out there

In year 1 Biscuit

Do we really want a player that gives a half ass effort starting for us?

There is a possibility that while the player that is replacing Mario may not be as talented....but because he gives 100 percent and plays his position correctly actually gives us better play. It is not ALL about the physical talent. You actually have to execute as well?

I have said this before.....when a guy like Alex Carrington comes in and gives you the exact same production as Mario Williams.....what does that say about Mario?

Edit....I fully expect mario to be good for the fins......for about a year

Many people, including players, say that Mario dogged it on the field. If that was the case then why was he kept on the field? Mario's lackadaisical attitude and performances were inexcusable. Just as inexcusable, if not more egregious, was Ryan's passive response to the delinquent player.

If a high end talent is deliberately playing at a third rate level then it is as an indictment on the HC's ability to lead the team he is coaching. You are not losing much production by replacing a malingering player with a less talented but more earnest player.

Would you prefer a coach who actually thinks he's mediocre and says so? If you don't have confidence in this league, you're never gonna win.

I would prefer a coach who does not talk ****, and does not stay assinine things before a game such as:

In his Monday news conference in Western New York, Ryan was asked what the Patriots do that enables their "no-name running backs" to thrive. The questioner didn't mention Dion Lewis by name, but referenced "the kid last week" who had "done nothing in the league" and "all of a sudden he's a star."

Ryan's response could be viewed as bulletin-board material in New England.

"It's the kid that's playing quarterback. That'll make it a lot easier to be a running back," he said. "So what, are you gonna play them in eight-man spacing? I don't think so. So that's what makes them -- I don't care, put anybody back there. You can do good there. All right?

"Nah, I mean they're decent backs in their own right. But I don't think we're gonna focus on that kid. I can't even tell you that kid's name. But you're gonna focus on the guy throwing the ball, I'll tell you that much."

After the last 5 seasons, you mean. He hasn't backed **** up in a very long time.

Yep!

Thanks for your contribution, Rex

You mean thanks for the continuity? Or Rex should appreciate the continuity? Or Rex wants the continental breakfast?

Shhhh, don't pee in the kool-aid! Nobody here wants to read the truth. All they want is unicorns and rainbows only to wonder what went wrong again this year in December.

Nobody here? Seriously? This board is full of miserable doom and gloomers whining about their terrible coach, Wrecks Lyan, who "literally castrated" our modern day version 86 Bears of a 2014 defense(someone actually wrote that). There is absolutely no way the D could improve in a complex system by having a full off season to study it. NONE PERIOD. Oh no, we're ruined, we lost 2015 absolute worst investment in the NFL to the dolphins, DOOMED! The head coach hired his twin brother? Nepotism!, FAT NEPOTISM!!! Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN?!?!?!?! Seems like there's more strychnine than kool aid in the punch bowl these days.

Would you prefer a coach who actually thinks he's mediocre and says so? If you don't have confidence in this league, you're never gonna win.

I know this year was disappointing, but I'm having a hard time understanding all of the hatred towards Rex. I really don't get the "buffoon" label. I thought he composed himself quite well this year. I don't understand what people are reacting to other than he had really high expectations and didn't meet them last season. Really, when was he a "clown" or "buffoon" this past season. What are the incidents that really bothered so many of you? Honestly, tell me...cause I just don't see what was sooooo wrong other than the 8-8 season.

I called him delusional for the last paragraph, that the Bills fan are really in his corner and believe he's a great coach. He should check in here for a couple of hours.

Let me start off by saying that I am no fan of Rex Ryan AT ALL, I can't stand the fat pig and his whole family BUT with that being said you have stated some great points. The things that you stated are so valid that I am willing to earnestly let this thing play out, I don't have any choice anyways but I'll try to have a better attitude about it and give it my best to be unbiased. If I end up being right about this idiot, and unfortunately I believe I will be, I'll take no solace in it and won't be one of the ones who'll post on the message board saying that I told you so. Mentality like that does nobody no good. All I want is for this franchise to rise to prominence again and at this point I don't care how it happens or who does it. I can't remember wanting to be so wrong about something as I am about this. I don't know who you are pal but I want to thank you for taking the time to bringing some very reasonable facts and thinking to the table.

Edited by Tipster19

I would prefer a coach who does not talk ****, and does not stay assinine things before a game such as:

In his Monday news conference in Western New York, Ryan was asked what the Patriots do that enables their "no-name running backs" to thrive. The questioner didn't mention Dion Lewis by name, but referenced "the kid last week" who had "done nothing in the league" and "all of a sudden he's a star."

Ryan's response could be viewed as bulletin-board material in New England.

"It's the kid that's playing quarterback. That'll make it a lot easier to be a running back," he said. "So what, are you gonna play them in eight-man spacing? I don't think so. So that's what makes them -- I don't care, put anybody back there. You can do good there. All right?

"Nah, I mean they're decent backs in their own right. But I don't think we're gonna focus on that kid. I can't even tell you that kid's name. But you're gonna focus on the guy throwing the ball, I'll tell you that much."

Thanks for responding with a specific example that bothered you. At the time, I just took it as him kidding around. But I can see how that could feel disrespectful to the player(s) and become bulletin board material.

I called him delusional for the last paragraph, that the Bills fan are really in his corner and believe he's a great coach. He should check in here for a couple of hours.

Ah, ok. Yeah, he definitely wouldn't think that way if he read TBD regularly.

It just bothers me (not referring to your comment yungmack, but the current tenor of the board) when good football talk turns into just personal attacks.

The "clown" "buffoon" "fat brother" comments, etc. Let's talk football guys, not just hate on our coach and certain players cause we're all disappointed

about 16 years of no Playoffs. I have no problem with someone saying they don't think Rex will turn it around and here's why I think that. Or as Pete,

above, stated, this is what bothered me, when he said this. Or even saying he should be fired, fine, I'll listen, debate, and discuss. But the seeming hatred

of the man by so many just seems totally overblown and unwarranted to me. Does he need to prove himself on the field? Absolutely. But, he's not a bad

person. He is well-liked by his players and others he works with. He's not some total dick, which is what seems to be the current perception of him to a lot

of people on this board.

Rex is our coach for at least this upcoming season and nothing anyone writes on here is going to change that. I just think it is time to turn the page

on the disappointment of last year. As section 122's excellent post pointed out, there are a lot of things to look forward to this upcoming season.

And yes, reason to hope.

And remember, without Rex we most likely don't have Tyrod or G-Ro either.

I defend the team but am in wait and see mode in all honesty

My big thing is I dont think last years defense is gonna be this years defense

Fingers crossed

Same here dude. I live in jersey so ive seen lots of Rex jets games and tbh his scheme can make ****ty players play good (WHEN THEY BUY IN), ive seen it a few years. the GM stopped getting Rex the players he wanted in 2012 and beyond there was a big divide in the front office. Rex isnt perfect and I hated the hire when it happened last year, I was really surprised at how much our defense regressed but was optimistic to see our offense gettin in stride especially last game vs nyj. Lookin at our depth chart Whaley needs to have the best draft of his life if we want to be real contenders. We need at least 2 solid start ready LBs ( ROLB, ILB) a start ready NT/DT(to free up Dareus to rush as DE in 3-4), a project Saftey, WR2, and depth corner. Thats a lot to ask from one draft. Our saving grace is the offense is consistently the same and has time to build chemistry this off season with a QB locked in as starter, Watkins needs to put on some muscle to stay healthy, Woods is good as long as hes healthy, Goodwin is gonna be too busy being an olympic dooshbag and get injured in pre-season, Karlos needs to stay healthy and Gillislee played well in the last 2 games, and with our new super blocking TE that should free Clay up on more receiving routs, I hope they make Tyrod practice the 2 minute drill every !@#$ing day and make him start to Peyton manning that **** cuz waiting on Offense calls in pressure clock situations is no bueno. Big Tyrod fan but my dog needs to step up in the pocket and hit the middle of the field more and command the huddle and be able to call his own plays when hes playing for the lead in the last 5 mins of the 4th quarter. This is a lot to ask but if we want playoffs all this has to happen while the defense STARTING A BUNCH OF ROOKIE has to get the super complex Rex scheme and buy in and gel. Im optimistic but I fear the offense, Darby, Hughes, & Dareus are gonna be the only things worth watchin next season. 10-6 at best 7-9 at worst. stuck in Bills limbo. Go Bills Damnit!