Ongoing MMA Thread

Most of these women have never been punched hard in their entire lives because the average woman doesn't have one strike power. Holly Holm did exactly the same thing to Rousey. When they get damaged, they don't have the experience to clinch effectively or create distance. Nunes has enough game to remain champion if she stays hungry.

Cormier is just a fat guy. He should have destroyed Silva once he got on top but he had no idea what the hell to do to create offense. He's very lucky Jon Jones got popped because he'd have gotten destroyed.

Lesnar is all strength. Once he gets on top of you, you're not going anywhere but he had multiple opportunities to just wreck Hunt. His inexperience/game just didn't allow him to capitalize. If he fights anyone with any kind of reach/speed, he's going to get put to sleep.

+1

I have just seen Meisha show much more toughness then she did in that fight......I know she got her nose broke but in the past that would not have stopped her

This was a girl that refused to tap out to Rousey and wrecked her arm for it

She took a body shot that obviously hurt her bad as she went down on a delayed reaction....either Nunes hits like a truck or Meisha is just happy she won the title and it wouldnt shock me to see her announce retirement.

I have just seen Meisha show much more toughness then she did in that fight......I know she got her nose broke but in the past that would not have stopped her

This was a girl that refused to tap out to Rousey and wrecked her arm for it

She took a body shot that obviously hurt her bad as she went down on a delayed reaction....either Nunes hits like a truck or Meisha is just happy she won the title and it wouldnt shock me to see her announce retirement.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Tate retires. I think Nunes hits like a truck.

"Former training partner Rashad Evans claims that Jon Jones tested positive for estrogen blockers in an out-of-competition test before UFC 200.

During a video segment as a correspondent for CBS Sports, the ex-Jackson-Wink MMA representative said a source within Albuquerque, N.M.-based camp informed him of the nature of Jones’ failed drug test. Evans did not name the substance or substances for which Jones tested positive. During a recent appearance on “The Herd,” UFC President Dana White said Jones tested positive for two banned substances."

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Rashad-Evans-Says-Jon-Jones-Tested-Positive-for-Estrogen-Blockers-Prior-to-UFC-200-107871#gcTAj3le2m2rKeV6.99

"Former bantamweight queen Miesha Tate could be out for up to 185 days following her loss to Amanda Nunes in the UFC 200 headliner.

The Nevada Athletic Commission recently released a list of medical suspensions from the event, which took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas this past Saturday. Tate was submitted by a rear-naked choke 3:16 into the opening round of her featured clash with Nunes.

Prior to the submission, “Cupcake” ate several hard punches to the face, and she revealed during the post-fight press conference that she likely suffered a broken nose during the fight. That injury has since been confirmed, and Tate must be cleared by a doctor or she cannot compete for 185 days. At a minimum, she will be out for 60 days with no contact for 45 days."

He should get it too. I can't stand Lesnar, which probably skews my judgement.

I'm with you. I'd be pissed if I was Hunt. Taking a loss from a juiced up monster. The fight could have and probably would have gone differently if Lesnar wasn't on something.

Good card last night. Shevchenko fought a great fight. Holm was just a little too slow.

Edson Barbosa is becoming quite the well rounded fighter. He stopped Gilberts takedowns nicely. His leg kicks are devastating. Credit to Melendez for being able to finish the fight, I couldn't believe he could still walk at the end.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Holm should have retired after the Rousey fight and gone out a legend

lol, no one and done legends

Good card last night. Shevchenko fought a great fight. Holm was just a little too slow.

Edson Barbosa is becoming quite the well rounded fighter. He stopped Gilberts takedowns nicely. His leg kicks are devastating. Credit to Melendez for being able to finish the fight, I couldn't believe he could still walk at the end.

must have forgot how to check kicks

If Holm is slow, imagine how Rousey is going to look...

If Holm is slow, imagine how Rousey is going to look...

I had the same thought. She's going to need to forgot the notion that she's a good striker and really use the judo.

I'm getting very excited about the women's bantamweight division. They've got a very strong lineup of fighters in the top 8. Love Juliana Pena. She's on her way up.

Is Rousey fighting Shevchenko? That would be a horrible match up for her, IMO she would rush right in and get blasted. I was surprised that Holm had such a hard time getting in range last night, Shev is a beast.

Rousey was supposed to have an immediate title shot when she comes back, but it's still up in her air.

Is Rousey fighting Shevchenko? That would be a horrible match up for her, IMO she would rush right in and get blasted. I was surprised that Holm had such a hard time getting in range last night, Shev is a beast.

Rousey is on some sort of hiatus but I would think she would be smart enough not come rushing in like last time. The key for her is to get the takedown and then ground control, if she can't the take down against the superior striker she is screwed, unless she has been spending all this time on her stand up.

TyronWoodley.jpg
"Tyron Woodley disposed of Robbie Lawler with first-round punches, as he became the ninth undisputed Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight titleholder in the UFC 201 headliner on Saturday at Philips Arena in Atlanta. Woodley (16-3, 6-2 UFC) brought it to a close 2:12 into round one, as he joined Nick Diaz as the only men to have stopped Lawler with strikes.

Lawler (27-11, 12-5 UFC) never knew what hit him. Woodley dropped the champion against the fence with a blinding right hook and followed with a series of unanswered rights that forced referee Dan Miragliotta to intervene. The dazed Lawler had no chance to defend himself, his remarkable late-career run of five straight victories at an end.

Woodley, 34, will ride a three-fight winning streak into his first title defense, likely against Stephen Thompson later this year."

Lawler's run was longer than it probably should have been. He's a warrior but he takes too many shots. It was a matter of time before someone got him.

Yep, and his last 3 fights had to take a toll on him. He absorbed so much punishment, it's not a surprise he finally got dropped.

Of course, now Woodly is trying to duck Wonderboy, which is a shame as he appears to easily be the best WW in the world atm.

Nick Diaz!!!?? Seriously? That's your call out?

Yep, and his last 3 fights had to take a toll on him. He absorbed so much punishment, it's not a surprise he finally got dropped.

Of course, now Woodly is trying to duck Wonderboy, which is a shame as he appears to easily be the best WW in the world atm.

Nick Diaz!!!?? Seriously? That's your call out?

:worthy::lol:

maybe he thinks he can make more money off of him but more importantly not lose. Of course it's really up to Uncle Dana, he may want to put Thompson in right away but he could build Woodley up a bit more so their fight would be a bigger draw.

Lawler's run was longer than it probably should have been. He's a warrior but he takes too many shots. It was a matter of time before someone got him.

Lawler should have clinched with Woodly a lot in the beginning to wear him done a bit so he could negate his speed, then he could have turned it into a war.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Conner deserves credit for the win....

The knockdowns were early.....Diaz looks like that after every fight.....I still say if the fight goes one more minute Diaz finishes him

Doubtful, that quick takedown wouldn't have lasted long, Connor really improved his wrestling defense and controlled the whole fight.

I do however don't want see a third fight, it would be more of the same. I want to see McGregor defend his belt and if I'm Dana I don't let them fight again unless it's a couple yrs down the road.

Doubtful, that quick takedown wouldn't have lasted long, Connor really improved his wrestling defense and controlled the whole fight.

I do however don't want see a third fight, it would be more of the same. I want to see McGregor defend his belt and if I'm Dana I don't let them fight again unless it's a couple yrs down the road.

We never got to see if Conner has improved his wrestling defense......the last time Diaz had him on the ground like that he choked him out.

His takedown defense was decent in this fight, though Diaz isn't known for his ability to actually put anyone on the ground. Diaz is clearly not a very strong guy, which is the biggest reason he couldn't finish his takedowns.

I don't know why you think the quick takedown wouldn't have lasted. McGregor is still terrible on the ground and Diaz very quickly transitioned past his guard and was feeding him. CM is in DEEP trouble against anyone with any kind of ground game, especially if the fight goes beyond the two rounds he can actually fight. He's lucky that takedown didn't happen a minute earlier because he'd have had to spend another 5 and a half months making excuses.

He should be embarrassed that once again he was so tired by late in the second round he was turning his back and running to avoid getting hit.