Ongoing MMA Thread

His takedown defense was decent in this fight, though Diaz isn't known for his ability to actually put anyone on the ground. Diaz is clearly not a very strong guy, which is the biggest reason he couldn't finish his takedowns.

I don't know why you think the quick takedown wouldn't have lasted. McGregor is still terrible on the ground and Diaz very quickly transitioned past his guard and was feeding him. CM is in DEEP trouble against anyone with any kind of ground game, especially if the fight goes beyond the two rounds he can actually fight. He's lucky that takedown didn't happen a minute earlier because he'd have had to spend another 5 and a half months making excuses.

He should be embarrassed that once again he was so tired by late in the second round he was turning his back and running to avoid getting hit.

That was pretty much how I saw it to.....I thought given what transpired it was a good decision......there is just something about Connor's body language when he either starts to get tired or he gets mounted....its not good.

But....I am sure that the next step will be where the money is....and Conner made it very clear Diaz would have to drop weight in order to fight again.

His takedown defense was decent in this fight, though Diaz isn't known for his ability to actually put anyone on the ground. Diaz is clearly not a very strong guy, which is the biggest reason he couldn't finish his takedowns.

I don't know why you think the quick takedown wouldn't have lasted. McGregor is still terrible on the ground and Diaz very quickly transitioned past his guard and was feeding him. CM is in DEEP trouble against anyone with any kind of ground game, especially if the fight goes beyond the two rounds he can actually fight. He's lucky that takedown didn't happen a minute earlier because he'd have had to spend another 5 and a half months making excuses.

He should be embarrassed that once again he was so tired by late in the second round he was turning his back and running to avoid getting hit.

Remember in their first fight when Diaz took him down in the first round and McGregor reversed him and controlled him on the ground.

His cardio is fine just needed second wind to kick in and it did.

That was a great card in general and the McGregor Diaz fight was an exclamation on the night.

I could have seen the fight called either way. Which is why I was okay with how it was called. I thought McGregor won rounds 1 and 4, Diaz won 3, and 2 and 5 were close calls. I thought Diaz could have helped himself being more aggressive in the 5th but he was gassed. I leaned McGregor for round 2 and Diaz for round 5 which put me at 48-47. Although to me the most dominant round of the night was the 3rd by Diaz so I was okay with the 10-8 there and a 47-47 score.

All in all I think the argument could be made for McGregor winning or a draw but I don't really see a way to call it a Diaz fight. McGregor running away multiple times has to hurt his reputation though. It was a B word move.

Remember in their first fight when Diaz took him down in the first round and McGregor reversed him and controlled him on the ground.

His cardio is fine just needed second wind to kick in and it did.

I really need to rewatch the first fight.....because my recollection as soon as this went to the ground Conner was in serious trouble.

I really need to rewatch the first fight.....because my recollection as soon as this went to the ground Conner was in serious trouble.

IIRC, in the first round Diaz took him down, Conor reversed quickly, and Diaz got back to his feet quickly. There wasn't anything I'd call control.

IIRC, in the first round Diaz took him down, Conor reversed quickly, and Diaz got back to his feet quickly. There wasn't anything I'd call control.

Diaz did not get up until the bell. it wasn't long but Connor was on top for the last 36 seconds of the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VN21wOq2A

Diaz did not get up until the bell. it wasn't long but Connor was on top for the last 36 seconds of the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VN21wOq2A

Thanks. Yeah, Conor remained on top, and Diaz did more work.

Diaz says he isn't fighting again until he gets to fight Conor. Conor's next two fights better be at 145, unless Aldo beats him. If Aldo beats him, Conor should just go up to lightweight permanently.

Through 3 fights, this is up there for one of the best cards I've seen. Just incredible fights and finishes.

No doubt even the undercard was good, but the Pettis fight was fantastic, now on to the main event.

WOW! can't believe Condit got owned like that, looked like an amateur out there.

No doubt even the undercard was good, but the Pettis fight was fantastic, now on to the main event.

WOW! can't believe Condit got owned like that, looked like an amateur out there.

I was shocked by the Condit fight. I thought that Condit would be able to defend on the ground. I clearly underestimated Maia at WW.

I was shocked by the Condit fight. I thought that Condit would be able to defend on the ground. I clearly underestimated Maia at WW.

Me too, Condit didn't even really seem to try maybe his head isn't right. I remember when Maia was pretty good but not great but know in his old age has gotten much better.

The Condit dight wasnt much of a surprise. His achiles heel has always been his takedown defense. In the past he's been able to survive but he's never faced anyone as dangerous as Maia on the ground. Gunnar Nelson, who is a hell of a BJJ practioner got destroyed on the ground by Maia.

The Condit dight wasnt much of a surprise. His achiles heel has always been his takedown defense. In the past he's been able to survive but he's never faced anyone as dangerous as Maia on the ground. Gunnar Nelson, who is a hell of a BJJ practioner got destroyed on the ground by Maia.

Maia has always had weak takedowns though. I figured it would stay standing for a while, and Condit would punish him too much before Maia could get him down. Guess not.

georges-st-pierre-with-mma-championship-

"St-Pierre also addressed criticisms made by UFC President Dana White, who claimed St-Pierre no longer had the drive to be a champion tduring a radio show appearance.

Laughing off the comments, St-Pierre said it would take only moments for everyone to see his desire is as strong as ever.

“He doesn’t know anything about me,” St-Pierre said. “I’m a smart guy. I’m not the kind of guy who (makes angry noises). Oh, I’m going to fight for peanuts. Let me fight once and you’ll see in the first minute of the fight that he’s wrong.

“Let me fight Tyron Woodley then. We’ll see if I don’t want to be champion again.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/georges-st-pierre-eyeing-ufc-206-return-interested-in-bouts-with-woodley-diaz-and-maia

GSP was dominant no doubt but holy cow were his fights mind numbingly boring. He just got a guy on the ground and laid there for 5 rounds.

:lol: Ahhh, it feels nice to finally get to see this same old argument. It's like an old friend. My friends and I had it at every fight of his. I loved watching him strategically outstrike grapplers and outgrapple strikers.

Yeah, I never thought his fights were boring either. He was the most well rounded fighter in MMA history and I dont blame him for "playing it safe"'after the KO by Serra. Only a stupid fighter doesn't use everything in his toolset to his advantage.

I do not get the dislike for the ground game by many fans. If you only like striking go watch boxing or kickboxing.

Yeah, I never thought his fights were boring either. He was the most well rounded fighter in MMA history and I dont blame him for "playing it safe"'after the KO by Serra. Only a stupid fighter doesn't use everything in his toolset to his advantage.

I do not get the dislike for the ground game by many fans. If you only like striking go watch boxing or kickboxing.

What makes MMA different from other sports IS the ground game......some people just dont get it....for that matter Dana White doesnt get it....he wants to see people get knocked out

Edited by John from Hemet

What makes MMA different from other sports IS the ground game......some people just dont get it....for that matter Dana White doesnt get it....he wants to see people get knocked out

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

if I wanted to watch Kickboxing I would.

GSP was dominant no doubt but holy cow were his fights mind numbingly boring. He just got a guy on the ground and laid there for 5 rounds.

Seriously!?

George had many stand up wars, like his last fight. He did have some dull fights but that wasn't because of wrestling but because he was too cautious and wasn't putting guys away.

100% agree, I get bored when there is too much standup, I want to see all facets in a match and using striking to set up grappling and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

So much for the CM Punk experiment. He got mauled. Badly.

to be expected, it takes a long time to become an elite fighter. He needs to work the amateur circuit and progress his way up the ranks. The UFC probably has him contracted for a few fights but once the novelty wears off he will be cut unless he has a massive turnaround.

:censored: you, Dana! I know it's the best financial decision, but the UFC was at its best when the champ had to fight the best fighters in the division. The UFC is becoming less like a sport and more like the WWE every day. Sad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-shows-conor-mcgregor-has-all-the-power-with-decision-to-let-him-fight-for-lightweight-title-at-ufc-205-052623642.html