Ongoing MMA Thread

:censored: you, Dana! I know it's the best financial decision, but the UFC was at its best when the champ had to fight the best fighters in the division. The UFC is becoming less like a sport and more like the WWE every day. Sad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-shows-conor-mcgregor-has-all-the-power-with-decision-to-let-him-fight-for-lightweight-title-at-ufc-205-052623642.html

normally I would have a problem with this but Alverez is a good fight. Pushing Aldo off until early 2017 isn't a big stretch, but if they put in another Diaz fight I will flip out.

normally I would have a problem with this but Alverez is a good fight. Pushing Aldo off until early 2017 isn't a big stretch, but if they put in another Diaz fight I will flip out.

Sure, it's a good fight. One McGregor doesn't deserve. He barely beat a lightweight gatekeeper, and gets a title shot for it. All while still running scared from defending the FW belt. It's a joke. It's also not just pushing Aldo back, it's pushing Khabib, Ferguson, Frankie, Holloway, and Pettis back from their potential shots. It's bush league.

Sure, it's a good fight. One McGregor doesn't deserve. He barely beat a lightweight gatekeeper, and gets a title shot for it. All while still running scared from defending the FW belt. It's a joke. It's also not just pushing Aldo back, it's pushing Khabib, Ferguson, Frankie, Holloway, and Pettis back from their potential shots. It's bush league.

They will get their shots

“I’m a fighter. I’ll fight anybody they put in front of me, but I think I deserve Dominick Cruz,” he said. “It’s time for me. It’s my turn now.”

While Lineker’s split-decision victory over John Dodson in the UFC Fight Night 96 headliner at the Moda Center in Portland, Ore., on Saturday night was impressive, it also came with an asterisk attached. For the fifth time in his promotional tenure, the Brazilian missed weight. Even more damning was the fact that his most recent transgression came after the heavy-handed fighter moved from flyweight to bantamweight to escape such difficulties.

While the recurring scale issues might slow his ascent, it’s hard to deny that Lineker showed a new dimension to his skill set by going a full 25 minutes with a man who had twice gone five rounds in title bouts against Demetrious Johnson."

• 3 weeks later...
MASSIVE UFC FIRINGS!!
According to Ariel Helwani's reports, approximately 80 percent of the UFC's Canadian office has been let go, and half of the UFC Asia team. Virtually every Vice President or General Manager of a UFC regional office was let go, including former Manchester City exec Garry Cook, one of the most celebrated signings in Zuffa history, fighters included, and the man whose name was floated as a possible UFC presidential replacement under WME-IMG if White opted to bow out of the company.

Again, everyone knew a massive round of firings would come to pass. As brilliantly summed up in Matt Connolly's article for Forbes, “New UFC Owners Ditching Company's Plans For 'World !@#$ Domination,” WME-IMG taking on $1.8 billion in Zuffa debt -- a number large enough for investor Goldman Sachs to reportedly get a warning from the Federal Reserve -- was going to necessitate immediate business changes and that was obviously going to include mass firings. A company like WME-IMG is well-stocked with social media and PR experts who were naturally going to be installed to replace the previous regime, nonetheless, the degree of the executive bloodletting was stunning and truly laid out WME-IMG's vision for the UFC's future.

I would too. The UFC became great by buying out the competition, when they took out Pride it was all over. Bellator is the only one even close to challenging them. What would be cool is if they were like boxing and did cross promotion fights, I think this would drive up more interest.

• 3 weeks later...

If Conor wins tonight they will NEVER put him in against Khabib. They'll give it to Fergunson no doubt, because they know Khabib would destroy their golden boy.

No kidding. That was a VERY impressive performance. Johnson made a mistake not going for the kill early when KM was clearly wobbled. He paid dearly for playing it safe.

No kidding. That was a VERY impressive performance. Johnson made a mistake not going for the kill early when KM was clearly wobbled. He paid dearly for playing it safe.

That's the benefit of world class grappling. Nobody wants to come in too hard for fear of the takedown. Only thing that can stop Khabib from the title is UFC matchmaking or more injuries.

Featherweight champion Connor McGregor dominates Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez and becomes the first person own two UFC Champioship belts at the same time. The fight was called a little early but is was clear that it wouldn't have taken but only a few more shots from the cocky quick handed Irishmen to end the bout properly.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

"Former UFC and Strikeforce women’s bantamweight queen Miesha Tate is calling it a career.

Tate announced her decision following a unanimous decision defeat to Raquel Pennington at UFC 205 in Madison Square Garden in New York City on Saturday night.

"I'm announcing my retirement tonight; it's my time," Tate said. “I’ll love this sport forever, but it isn’t my time anymore.”

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Miesha-Tate-Announces-Retirement-Following-Loss-to-Raquel-Pennington-at-UFC-205-113571#2sisUqxQ7Ms34278.99

Goodbye to Tate, who is likely a UFC Hall of Famer. She reminds me a little of Couture, a warrior who was a little limited in her game. Last night, her lack of speed and inability to keep her head off the center line was obvious as Pennington easily negated each attack.

Alvarez may have fought the dumbest fight I've ever seen. Nothing like leading with your face and being unable/unwilling to defend the overhand left because you're too slow/off balance when you throw a right hand.

It'll be interesting to see if the UFC forces CM to defend or vacate the 145 pound title or fight either Ferguson/Nurmagomedov.

Goodbye to Tate, who is likely a UFC Hall of Famer. She reminds me a little of Couture, a warrior who was a little limited in her game. Last night, her lack of speed and inability to keep her head off the center line was obvious as Pennington easily negated each attack.

Alvarez may have fought the dumbest fight I've ever seen. Nothing like leading with your face and being unable/unwilling to defend the overhand left because you're too slow/off balance when you throw a right hand.

It'll be interesting to see if the UFC forces CM to defend or vacate the 145 pound title or fight either Ferguson/Nurmagomedov.

It looked like Tate just lost her drive because I've seen her move a lot faster than that, her heart just wasn't in it any more. Wonder if her boyfriend will switch gears and get back in the ring and now she is in his corner?

Connor doesn't want much;

“I’ve been happy to continue what I’m doing. I feel I’ve outworn the previous contract. When I’m looking at what they’re taking in, that list that Lorenzo [Fertitta] compiled to show the new owners. That’s the gospel, that’s proof of what I bring. You want me to be around and continue to push the company, bring me aboard,” McGregor said. “I need to be set for life with this. As owner, an equity stake in the company, that’s what I’m looking for.”

A number of celebrities and professional athletes now have a stake in the company, and McGregor believes he deserves a piece of the lucrative pie he’s helped to create.

“I’ve earned something. People have shares in the company, celebrities. Conan O’Brien has a share in the company. Where’s my share? Where’s my equity? If I’m the one that’s bringing this, I want what I deserve, what I’ve earned.”

Until those discussions with new ownership occur, McGregor won’t think too hard about his next move in the Octagon, whether that be at 155 pounds or otherwise.

“I’m aware of my worth,” he said. “And now I’ve got a family, now I got a kid on the way. I’m coming for mine now if you want me back.”

To me Tate (and god yes I am looking) looked out of shape and unmotivated for this fight.......

Its ok...it happens....maybe she is just tired of going into these a fine lookin women and walking out with her face beat to crap.

Id like to see her get into movies next like a lot of them do.

Regarding Conner....hes good...he is really good. And if I am this promotion I tell him to go frag himself

To me Tate (and god yes I am looking) looked out of shape and unmotivated for this fight.......

Its ok...it happens....maybe she is just tired of going into these a fine lookin women and walking out with her face beat to crap.

Id like to see her get into movies next like a lot of them do.

Regarding Conner....hes good...he is really good. And if I am this promotion I tell him to go frag himself

Tate should get a nose job, would look much better after all the blows she has taken.

I thought Connor was crazy at first but if other celebrities have minority stakes in the company he is justified in asking for the same. The kid flat out sells and they should reward him for it.

If he can stay on his feet he will take Khabib Nurmagomedov out but if it goes to the ground it is all over.

Conor already setting the table for ducking Khabib.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/champ-conor-mcgregor-pullout-merchant-khabib-nurmagomedov-has-more-to-prove-before-title-shot

Khabib had a knee injury and missed 2 years. I didn't see the UFC saying Dominick Cruz couldn't have a title shot after knee injuries set his career back a few times. And why does Conor care how often Khabib fights? The promotion might care but the champ should only be interested in beating the best. There is absolutely no question who the most deserving contender is.

He will never get in the cage with him unless the UFC forces him too and the UFC has proven that they don't force him to do anything. This is one of the reasons boxing fell out of favor with me and MMA became a passion. In both Pride and the UFC the best fighters consistently were put in against each other instead of being allowed to duck one another like in boxing. Now the UFC has created a guy who is doing exactly what was so frustrating with boxing.

My guess is they do Diaz 3 for the LW belt next (because why not give a guy who isn't elite a title shot!) and don't make Conor drop the 145 belt while the 145 division twiddles it's thumbs. Edgar will go to 135 and Aldo will retire because the 145 division is a joke right now. They'll force Khabib to fight Ferguson and hope that Ferguson wins. If Khabib wins they'll make him wait for years or fight other fights because Conor will decide to fight somebody else. This will parallel what they did to Edgar at 145. Make him run the gauntlet against absolutely everybody - hoping he loses eventually - because he presented stylistic problems for McGregor.

I love the attention McGregor has brought to MMA but I absolutely hate what he's done to matchmaking in the division(s) he's involved in. They protect their golden egg because he makes them so much money at the cost of seeing the best fights possible.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/champ-conor-mcgregor-pullout-merchant-khabib-nurmagomedov-has-more-to-prove-before-title-shot

Khabib had a knee injury and missed 2 years. I didn't see the UFC saying Dominick Cruz couldn't have a title shot after knee injuries set his career back a few times. And why does Conor care how often Khabib fights? The promotion might care but the champ should only be interested in beating the best. There is absolutely no question who the most deserving contender is.

He will never get in the cage with him unless the UFC forces him too and the UFC has proven that they don't force him to do anything. This is one of the reasons boxing fell out of favor with me and MMA became a passion. In both Pride and the UFC the best fighters consistently were put in against each other instead of being allowed to duck one another like in boxing. Now the UFC has created a guy who is doing exactly what was so frustrating with boxing.

My guess is they do Diaz 3 for the LW belt next (because why not give a guy who isn't elite a title shot!) and don't make Conor drop the 145 belt while the 145 division twiddles it's thumbs. Edgar will go to 135 and Aldo will retire because the 145 division is a joke right now. They'll force Khabib to fight Ferguson and hope that Ferguson wins. If Khabib wins they'll make him wait for years or fight other fights because Conor will decide to fight somebody else. This will parallel what they did to Edgar at 145. Make him run the gauntlet against absolutely everybody - hoping he loses eventually - because he presented stylistic problems for McGregor.

I love the attention McGregor has brought to MMA but I absolutely hate what he's done to matchmaking in the division(s) he's involved in. They protect their golden egg because he makes them so much money at the cost of seeing the best fights possible.

Spot on.

Agree with all of this

Conner the winner sells a lot of tickets.....Conner the loser doesnt make as much money

Its funny because after the match he basically told it like it is.....unless you have the size and especially the length your gonna have a hard time beating Conner....notice when they go back to the replays of where Conner gets the kill shot? His opponent (especially in the Aldo fight) juuuuuuust out of reach of Conner's chin

Wow this is just an excellent articulation especially the bolded. :thumbsup::beer:

not paying for that card, Although would like to see the Kennedy fight, really dig his show Hunting Hitler, Always had doubts about Hitler's death but know seems likely he didn't the way we were told, just like Osama and Saddam.

Yeah, that was brutal. Henderson isn't the most technical fighter but the guy has tons of heart and a never give up attitude that I really like.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/conor-mcgregor-forced-ufc-featherweight-150935565.html

Conor McGregor had to give up the belt after avoiding Frankie.

The UFC is just idiotic. Not that they made Conor give up the belt that he had never defend despite stepping into the cage 3 times since winning the title. That was justified (and somewhat surprising that they stripped him.)

But what isn't justified is that in their need to "save a card" they're having Halloway and Pettis fight for yet another interim belt. Two interim titles will have been created when there was nothing wrong with the champ or the previous interim title holder. They just create these belts out of thin air whenever they think a card needs a title fight and it gets a little old. These belts end up having no meaning and that should never be the case.

Halloway v. Pettis is a great fight, to be sure, but it should be nothing more than a title eliminator. Hell, I don't even think Pettis deserves to be in a title eliminator at this point, much less a fight for a title, but I'd accept that.

I am curious what Aldo will do now. I can easily see him just retiring, I don't think he wants to fight anyone other than McGregor at this point but I don't see Conor ever fighting at 145 again now that they don't allow the use of IVs.

Edit: NM, I see that Aldo said he plans on defending. Glad to hear it.

Edited by MDH

Yeah, that was brutal. Henderson isn't the most technical fighter but the guy has tons of heart and a never give up attitude that I really like.

The UFC is just idiotic. Not that they made Conor give up the belt that he had never defend despite stepping into the cage 3 times since winning the title. That was justified (and somewhat surprising that they stripped him.)

But what isn't justified is that in their need to "save a card" they're having Halloway and Pettis fight for yet another interim belt. Two interim titles will have been created when there was nothing wrong with the champ or the previous interim title holder. They just create these belts out of thin air whenever they think a card needs a title fight and it gets a little old. These belts end up having no meaning and that should never be the case.

Halloway v. Pettis is a great fight, to be sure, but it should be nothing more than a title eliminator. Hell, I don't even think Pettis deserves to be in a title eliminator at this point, much less a fight for a title, but I'd accept that.

I am curious what Aldo will do now. I can easily see him just retiring, I don't think he wants to fight anyone other than McGregor at this point but I don't see Conor ever fighting at 145 again now that they don't allow the use of IVs.

Edit: NM, I see that Aldo said he plans on defending. Glad to hear it.

?

• 2 weeks later...
082315-14-UFC-Max-Holloway-OB-PI.vresize

Max Holloway’s 10th consecutive victory in the Octagon earned him the UFC interim featherweight title, and now the red-hot Hawaiian has his sights set on unifying the titles early next year.

“Blessed” became the first man to stop Anthony Pettis in 25 professional bouts in the UFC 206 headliner on Saturday night, as he defeated the ex-lightweight king via technical knockout 4:50 into the third frame at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

“I knew what I could do and I just had to show the world,” Holloway said on Fox Sports 1. “I know I’m the best in the world and tonight I proved it.

“My prediction was to take him in deep waters ....

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

082315-14-UFC-Max-Holloway-OB-PI.vresize

Max Holloway’s 10th consecutive victory in the Octagon earned him the UFC interim featherweight title, and now the red-hot Hawaiian has his sights set on unifying the titles early next year.

“Blessed” became the first man to stop Anthony Pettis in 25 professional bouts in the UFC 206 headliner on Saturday night, as he defeated the ex-lightweight king via technical knockout 4:50 into the third frame at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

“I knew what I could do and I just had to show the world,” Holloway said on Fox Sports 1. “I know I’m the best in the world and tonight I proved it.

“My prediction was to take him in deep waters ....

Holloway is a beast. Very much looking forward to his fight with Aldo. I'm curious if Aldo will attempt to use his takedowns/ground game in this one. It's an underrated part of his game that he doesn't utilize that often.

Holloway is a beast. Very much looking forward to his fight with Aldo. I'm curious if Aldo will attempt to use his takedowns/ground game in this one. It's an underrated part of his game that he doesn't utilize that often.

He should. Many fighters make the mistake of relying on one part of there game instead of using all facets when the opportunity arises.

Too bad Kennedy got beat up, I think he has spent too much time hunting Hitler.