Ongoing MMA Thread

Well, it looks like it wasn't about money but about promoting after all.

Looks like the UFC called Conor's bluf and he's already backpeddling.

It's hilarious how he has the balls to say that he's paid to fight, not to promote. WTF? If anybody was ever paid to promote, it's Connor. All the buzz about him has little to do with what happens inside the cage. It's all about his mouth. And now he's saying he doesn't want to do his promoting obligations when that's what made him into a star?

Conor McGregor ‏@TheNotoriousMMA:

Ok no more games. I am going to release a statement shortly.

McGregor states that he's not retired while making excuses for why he lost his last fight. Luckily, he won't have to deal with the extra media obligations coming from being a champion if/when he finally tries to defend his belt for the first time and loses.

https://m.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

After reading that I can see what he is saying; if promoting gets in the way of training then promoting has to go. I'd do a couple big promos and that would be it. Hopefully that loss to Diaz got his head on strait and get serious about submission defense.

Andrey Koreshkov Dominates Ex-UFC Champ Benson Henderson in Bellator 153 Headliner
Andrey Koreshkov showed little regard for Bellator MMA’s prized free-agent acquisition.

The reigning welterweight champion dominated Benson Henderson at every turn in the Bellator 153 headliner on Friday at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, winning a lopsided unanimous decision -- 50-45, 50-45, 50-45 -- to retain his title.

Henderson (23-6, 0-1 Bellator), who entered the contest on the strength of back-to-back 170-pound triumphs over Jorge Masvidal and Brandon Thatch in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, had no answer for the superior size, reach and power of his opponent. Koreshkov (19-1, 10-1 Bellator) set the tone for the rout in the opening stanza, where he brutalized the ex-lightweight king with kicks to the body before nearly finishing the bout with a flying knee at the end of the frame.

andrey-koreshkov-benson-henderson-bellat

Koreshkov has now won seven straight fights since being overwhelmed by then-welterweight champion Ben Askren at Bellator 97 in July 2013.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Henderson looked like a boy in there last night. He hurt Koreshkov once, in the second round with a body shot, but got devastated the rest of the fight. He needs to be realistic and move down to 155. He's just too small and limited to fight such skillful guys who also have a big physical advantage.

Henderson looked like a boy in there last night. He hurt Koreshkov once, in the second round with a body shot, but got devastated the rest of the fight. He needs to be realistic and move down to 155. He's just too small and limited to fight such skillful guys who also have a big physical advantage.

yeah that was brutal, didn't think he would get dominated like that.

Really really want Askren to get into the UFC and fight some real competition.

It's looking to be a solid ppv tonight. Stinks that Cormier got injured, but Jones is fun to watch whether he's in a battle or just destroying someone. Hopefully OSP brings his best.

I'm really excited to see DJ defend his belt again. I know a lot of people don't like watching the flyweights because most don't have the knockout power people crave, but I think he's the best technical fighter in the world (very close to Jones for p4p). He has no holes in his game. Cejudo's wrestling could potentially give DJ some problems , but he's gotta be able to catch him to take him down.

Pettis vs Barbosa is either going to be the best fight of the night or a devastating knockout early. Either way, very psyched for it.

I hope everyone enjoys.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

It's looking to be a solid ppv tonight. Stinks that Cormier got injured, but Jones is fun to watch whether he's in a battle or just destroying someone. Hopefully OSP brings his best.

I'm really excited to see DJ defend his belt again. I know a lot of people don't like watching the flyweights because most don't have the knockout power people crave, but I think he's the best technical fighter in the world (very close to Jones for p4p). He has no holes in his game. Cejudo's wrestling could potentially give DJ some problems , but he's gotta be able to catch him to take him down.

Pettis vs Barbosa is either going to be the best fight of the night or a devastating knockout early. Either way, very psyched for it.

I hope everyone enjoys.

I think OSP is going to get rolled, really want to see Cejudo win but I'm flat broke and have to skip this one. (did any one notice judo is in his name lol)

I think a lot of people like the light weights because they are fun to watch because of their fast pace.

I think OSP is going to get rolled, really want to see Cejudo win but I'm flat broke and have to skip this one. (did any one notice judo is in his name lol)

Try a Buffalo Wild Wings. They normally play them. Just order some wings and sip water the whole night. (fast forward to the large bar tab being closed out at 1am)

:lol:

He really is. I was hoping Pettis was finally going to bounce back but he's been unable to so far. He might be done as a contender in the UFC.

I think you could be right about Pettis. He has clearly lost his confidence in the ring, something which he never lacked before. I think that he's just been injured way too often over the last several years and that hasn't allowed him to train as much as he otherwise could have, which played a role in his losses. It'll take staying healthy and stringing some good wins together to get his confidence back, if only partially.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

• 3 weeks later...
Ultimate Fighting Championship parent company Zuffa LLC is in “advanced talks” to sell the UFC, according to a report from ESPN.com.

ESPN reports that at least four companies have submitted bids to purchase the Las Vegas-based organization, and that the UFC’s final valuation could land between $3.5 and $4 billion.

The bidders reportedly on the short list of potential purchasers are: Blackstone Group, an American corporation based in New York City; China Media Capital, a state-backed venture capital firm based in Beijing; WME/IMG, a management company which represents numerous athletes, including former UFC champion Ronda Rousey; and Dalian Wanda Group, a Chinese conglomerate which last year purchased Hollywood’s Legendary Entertainment for a rumored $3.5 billion.

ESPN’s sources marked Dalian Wanda as the front-runner in the bidding to purchase UFC, which Zuffa acquired from Semaphore Entertainment in 2001 for only $2 million.
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Zuffa-in-Advanced-Talks-to-Sell-UFC-Winning-Bid-Could-Total-3634-Billion-104761#EWEmCSxjVHfZZ2Qg.99

Dana was on several different shows yesterday saying that the report is 100% false, but why would he admit it.

In other news, Anderson Silva had emergency surgery yesterday to have his gall bladder removed, so he won't be fighting on the card this weekend. It should still be a good card though.