Bills get a 'B' in free agency so far

Rubes

NFL Free Agency Grades: 32 grades for 32 teams but only one big, fat F

Buffalo Bills
The Skinny: They did the smart thing and made sure to keep the left side of their offensive line in tackle Cordy Glenn and guard Richie Incognito. They had some cap issues, so they did suffer a few losses like Mario Williams (released), corner Leodis McKelvin (released) and linebacker Nigel Bradham.
B: Keeping your own is important and they kept the players they wanted to keep.

Completely meaningless, of course, but I have to admit I thought it would be much worse.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by creating needs in 3 positions with improved? safety, defensive end and 3rd CB.

in todays nfl the 3rd cb has to be of reasonable talent due to the overwhelming amount of passing that goes on. we lost more than we gained in free agency, disirregardless of cap space it was a C free agency.

C sounds right thus far. On offense they get a B, lost depth but kept the starting lineup, no upgrades to speak of, but no major holes.

On defense, D. They lost a probowler DE, starting ILB and solid DB depth while failing to address the scheme/Roster misfit with a Rex type ILB or NT or even safety. At present I don't see even a guy they could pencil in as Marios replacement.

Although it's just ridiculous to assess it now as there are talented free agents all over the place still. But if that grades have to come out, it's either a C or an incomplete.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

C sounds right thus far. On offense they get a B, lost depth but kept the starting lineup, no upgrades to speak of, but no major holes.

On defense, D. They lost a probowler DE, starting ILB and solid DB depth while failing to address the scheme/Roster misfit with a Rex type ILB or NT or even safety. At present I don't see even a guy they could pencil in as Marios replacement.

Although it's just ridiculous to assess it now as there are talented free agents all over the place still. But if that grades have to come out, it's either a C or an incomplete.

They only lost 2 starters. shouldnt be that hard to replace mario's and nigels production from last year, since their production was really low. They can really fit those holes in the draft. But I am sure they will try to plug some other stuff in with some bargain players soon. price on a lot of these players is still too high

This is actually written by Rodak believe it or not

Quiet Bills have made right decisions in free agency so far

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/200116/quiet-bills-have-made-right-decisions-in-free-agency-so-far

The Bills have made the only decisions they could:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

We're so screwed against the cap that we can't do anything in FA. Not sure how we rate a "B" grade, because we won't be signing FA's for anything but the minimum anytime soon. We barely have enough to sign our draft picks this year.

I liked the Incognito signing but it's really frustrating that even with the lowest paid starting QB we don't have the money to sign anyone. I can imagine it's going to be worse next year. We have to sign Gilmore and Tyrod. Probably lose Kyle and Glenn and Woods and not have cap room to sign anyone else. Last year was the season we had to make it happen. If they are 8-8 again like it looks like they will be then where do you go from there?

I liked the Incognito signing but it's really frustrating that even with the lowest paid starting QB we don't have the money to sign anyone. I can imagine it's going to be worse next year. We have to sign Gilmore and Tyrod. Probably lose Kyle and Glenn and Woods and not have cap room to sign anyone else. Last year was the season we had to make it happen. If they are 8-8 again like it looks like they will be then where do you go from there?

You're a ray of sunshine today. Right now, cap space for next year is looking pretty good. People were reporting something like $50M in space, before any adjustment for annual cap increase. That was before the Glenn and Incognito signings, but that's still plenty of space to sign Gilmore and Taylor.