The Bills best draft pick ever.

Bravo, Nuc!

Patulski & Cousineau didn't have long, healthy careers. Of course a team can wiff on the #1 overall. But they're the exception.

My answer would have been different if the question was best value draft pick, but it said best pick. My answer remains #78

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer would have been different if the question was best value draft pick, but it said best pick. My answer remains #78

And Bruce is a "Mt. Rushmore" defensive end. Still a great value pick. He wasn't just a great player. He was arguably the greatest ever.

I'd have to go with Kelly. As good as the Bruce pick was he wouldn't be anywhere near as well thought of if he hadn't played on those successful 90s teams. And those teams wouldn't have been what they were without a hall of fame QB bringing everything together.

OJ & Bruce don't really apply here, IMO. They were both taken #1 overall. These picks are expected to be perennial Pro-Bowlers, HOF candidates if they have a long, healthy career.

Tom Sestak, 17th Round pick '62

The question isn't what draft pick provided the greatest value, just who was the best draft pick ever.

Has to be Bruce.

Who wins the totally subjective choice as the Bills best draft pick ever? Your thoughts?

I would argue that OJ gets the prize for the combination of his play and then his trade which indirectly led to the selection of Jim Kelly.

Without that trade who knows where Jim, arguably the winner of best Bills draft pick ever, ends up.

Bill - I'm usually pretty good with the history of the Bills, but don't remember the link between OJ and Jim Kelly. I remember OJ leaving for San Francisco, but nothing more, and that was at least a couple to,a few years before the 83 draft. Can you educate myself and the crew. I'm sure the younger guys would be interested in the history. Thanks bud.

Bill - I'm usually pretty good with the history of the Bills, but don't remember the link between OJ and Jim Kelly. I remember OJ leaving for San Francisco, but nothing more, and that was at least a couple to,a few years before the 83 draft. Can you educate myself and the crew. I'm sure the younger guys would be interested in the history. Thanks bud.

IIRC it was Cousineau who was linked to Kelly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cousineau

Cousineau was drafted first overall in the 1979 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills, who acquired the pick from the San Francisco 49ers in a trade for O.J. Simpson. Cousineau never played a game with the Bills. He instead signed with the Canadian Football League Montreal Alouettes where they offered double the money that the Bills originally offered. Cousineau became a star there, becoming the Grey Cup Most Valuable Player in the 1979 season. Cousineau wanted to return to the NFL, and in 1982 the Houston Oilers attempted to sign him, but the Bills (who still held Cousineau's NFL rights) matched the offer. He was then traded from the Bills to the Cleveland Browns for a first round draft choice (14th overall) in the 1983 NFL Draft.[4] That pick was used on future Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. Cousineau signed a five-year contract for 2.5 million dollars, the most ever for a Cleveland Brown player at the time.[5]

Both OJ and Cousineau led to the Bills eventually getting JK12.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

OJ & Bruce were great picks but neither turned around the franchise until others got here. Kelly you can make the argument made the Bills relevant as soon as he got here.

Andre for value pick. 4th rounder into HOF.

Sestak was just a couple years before my time

OJ & Bruce were great picks but neither turned around the franchise until others got here. Kelly you can make the argument made the Bills relevant as soon as he got here.

Andre for value pick. 4th rounder into HOF.

Sestak was just a couple years before my time

Kelly and Bruce arrived one year apart. 4-12 in 86. 7-8 in 87. There was no immediate impact as the team was built over a number of years.

Kelly and Bruce arrived one year apart. 4-12 in 86. 7-8 in 87. There was no immediate impact as the team was built over a number of years.

True and more talent piled in. No way would that roster have been held together in today's salary cap and free agency dynamics.

By 88 they were in the playoffs

Think about over what 3-4 years they brought in Bruce, Kelly, Andre, Thurman, Bennett, Hull and others. Damn!!!

Ed Wang.

He certainly stood up... Or maybe stood out... Ended up a little too soft for the job....

He never got enough of a chance to play with Levitre long-term, for the best effect.