Mario to sign with Miami? [UPDATE: Signed]

boater

It's the South Beach mentality, they are making in rain in the club. Don't pay them any attention it's all for show.

FL yearns for the days of Marino. We yearn for the the days of Kelly.

It's about the same. It's all for show.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to over look the fact that just a year ago we had a top 5 defense with every key piece coming back. Here we are a year later running a 3-4, needing 4 to 5 starters on defense with little to no cap room to find those players.

They overlook it or find any way possible to ignore it....

As a former giant homer (I hate that term), I used to do the same thing. The odds are you don't cut a guy good enough to be an all pro DE 2 years ago, draft a rookie, & get better.

As a former giant homer (I hate that term), I used to do the same thing. The odds are you don't cut a guy good enough to be an all pro DE 2 years ago, draft a rookie, & get better.

actually, every team does this when a player is aging, expensive and in decline

actually, every team does this when a player is aging, expensive and in decline

So is Hughes and Dareus in decline? I would love to love posts about Mario prior to last season. I would love to hear how many fans talked about him being in decline.

I could be wrong but I don't remember many.

So is Hughes and Dareus in decline? I would love to love posts about Mario prior to last season. I would love to hear how many fans talked about him being in decline.

I could be wrong but I don't remember many.

are Hughes and Dares aging? What?

Was Mario's performance in decline last season? No. Unfortunately you need to bring yourself to the present day. He's older and his performance went down and his cap hit went up. This is the point where teams move on and replace you.

Edited by YoloinOhio

are Hughes and Dares aging? What?

Was Mario's performance in decline last season? No. Unfortunately you need to bring yourself to the present day. He's older and his performance went down and his cap hit went up. This is the point where teams move on and replace you.

Point was that all of their production went down almost as much as Mario's. I would also argue that Mario was a huge reason why Hughes broke out here and how Dareus became a better player.

I normally agree with on a lot of things but I think a lot of people are trying to blame Mario for all of this team's ills when there is a much bigger problem.

But I'll bow out and I pray I am completely wrong. But I'll never be a fan of losing an all pro DE for nothing, especially to a rival. JMo of course.

Point was that all of their production went down almost as much as Mario's. I would also argue that Mario was a huge reason why Hughes broke out here and how Dareus became a better player.

I normally agree with on a lot of things but I think a lot of people are trying to blame Mario for all of this team's ills when there is a much bigger problem.

But I'll bow out and I pray I am completely wrong. But I'll never be a fan of losing an all pro DE for nothing, especially to a rival. JMo of course.

their production absolutely did not go down as much as Mario's. Unless you only count sacks, which would be very inaccurate. They both performed very well actually in the scheme for what they were asked to do. Any all-22 or basic game film shows they both played very well and he did not.

He wrote his own ticket out of town. He was a great fit for the scheme at this point in his career, but he chose not to accept that. He caused many problems for the team, and he is accountable for his performance. Not his "sack numbers." His *performance.*

Edited by YoloinOhio

their production absolutely did not go down as much as Mario's. Unless you only count sacks, which would be very inaccurate. They both performed very well actually in the scheme for what they were asked to do. Any all-22 or basic game film shows they both played very well and he did not.

Defense went 4th to 19th. That's not all Mario.

The hard arithmetic is that we needed cap space, badly, to sign 2 key OLmen. We could make the RFA tenders with small moves like McKelvin and Booby D, but Glenn and Incognito were going to require serious cap space. And Mario was the obvious candidate, the significant cap hit where the dead money was large, but about 1/3 of the total hit.

Concerns about production and scheme and Rex aside, we didn't lose an "all pro DE" for nothing. We lost him for a OLT and an OLG. The fact that he didn't play like an all pro DE this most recent season, simply made the hard arithmetic easier to swallow.

The hard arithmetic is that we needed cap space, badly, to sign 2 key OLmen. We could make the RFA tenders with small moves like McKelvin and Booby D, but Glenn and Incognito were going to require serious cap space. And Mario was the obvious candidate, the significant cap hit where the dead money was large, but about 1/3 of the total hit.

Concerns about production and scheme and Rex aside, we didn't lose an "all pro DE" for nothing. We lost him for a OLT and an OLG. The fact that he didn't play like an all pro DE this most recent season, simply made the hard arithmetic easier to swallow.

Well said.

MMQB:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/06/peyton-manning-retirement-tom-brady-nfl

5. I think the most mysterious two players in free agency are Mario Williams and Victor Cruz. I have no clue if Cruz will ever be the electric player he once was. How can anyone know? He last played 17 months ago. What a phenom—18.7 yards per catch in his breakout year, 2011. But we don’t know who he is anymore. Regarding Williams, he’s 31 and coming off a grousing five-sack season playing for a coach whom pass-rushers love. I don’t get Williams’ dissatisfaction with Rex Ryan. But how do you figure what to pay each one of those players? I’d do heavily incentive-laden deals for both.

The odds are also that you don't retain a player who so blatantly quit on his teammates, coaches, and fans and expect him to return to form. I suspect a reclamation project was never in the realm of possibility as they weren't going to fire the coaching staff.

GO BILLS!!!

and he's 6 years younger. I hope some team takes him away from Miami along with their young, awesome RB Lamar Miller. And they keep loading up on old guys.

Cutting Grimes too. A Miami reporter wrote a story saying it was due to his pitbull named Miko. She then went off saying that the reporter wasn't safe from bullets. It's going to be a reality show down there.

Edited by Commonsense

Cutting Grimes too. A Miami reporter wrote a story saying it was due to his pitbull names Miko. She then went off saying that the reporter wasn't safe from bullets. It's going to be a reality show down there.

oh god. Was the reporter Omar Kelly :lol: Edited by YoloinOhio

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000642408/article/mario-williams-close-to-deal-with-dolphins

Sucks for Dolphins.

But there will 2 games a year Mario will be motivated for. That's not a good thing. Motivated Mario is a force.

The other 14 games a year, he is overpaid.

Probably a fair assessment, IMO.

Looks like Mario will finish out his career as a loser. His teams only made the playoffs one time out of his 10 years in the league, at that was the season he was injured. So obviously, he's not a critical ingredient to winning games.

Edited by vincec

@josinaanderson

How relaxed was Mario Williams while waiting for #Dolphins deal today? Spent t/ day "at the track getting lessons from Ferrari pro drivers."

Mario Williams to me on what it feels like to join the #Dolphins: It feels rejuvenating.

Edited by YoloinOhio