Bills "frustrated" with Incognito contract demands*SIGNED*

TPegs may not issued team leaders an ultimatum per se, but I'm sure the writing is on the wall.

Whaley and to a lesser extent Rex have accomplished very little in terms of a W-L record given how much cash was spent.

Rumor was that Whaley's top choice for coach was Hugh Jackson. If we go that way I wonder what conversation we're having now. I think we make better use of Watkins and our 4 strong pass rushers including two first team all pros don't forget how to play all at the same time.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a team they went from rushing for 147 yards/game with 16 TDs, 19 rushes of 20+ yards, and 5 rushes of 40+ yards in 2014 to 118 yards/game with 8 TDs, 17 rushes of 20+ yards and 3 rushes of 40+ yards.

Obviously that's not indicative of a running game going in the tank, but there's no question that it took a step back without Murray.

My point is that cohesion is greater than the sum of the talent IMO.

As Jmo pointed out, they also lost Romo. You lose long runs when you have Weeden and Cassel under center.

I agree there's some synergy involved. But then inserting La'el Collins, a move that you argued improved the line talent, also may have had a negative effect on chemistry.

But again, on the whole, I agree. Just nitpicking.

Edited by FireChan

Rumor was that Whaley's top choice for coach was Hugh Jackson. If we go that way I wonder what conversation we're having now. I think we make better use of Watkins and our 4 strong pass rushers including two first team all pros don't forget how to play all at the same time.

We'll have Peyton Manning as coach after next year and he'll be fired mid-season amidst a scandal involving "tea-bagging" Kathryn Smith.

As Jmo pointed out, they also lost Romo. You lose long runs when you have Weeden and Cassel under center.

I agree there's some synergy involved. But then inserting La'el Collins, a move that you argued improved the line talent, also may have had a negative effect on chemistry.

But again, on the whole, I agree. Just nitpicking.

Yeah, I agree with all of that (just don't tell Jauronimo--he's insufferable after you tell him he's right).

Dallas just happened to be the most convenient example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

They spent more than 90M guaranteed last year, which led the NFL. And then went out and laid an 8-8 egg.

I'm sure TPegs is happy he wrote out those big checks and watched the team remain mediocre.

But wasn't most of that guaranteed money spent on players who will be on the team for several years? That's not a "go for broke" strategy.

If the Bills hadn't signed or extended those players, you'd similarly critique the organization for letting their good players walk. You're predictable.

Shifting the money to the offensive line and making it a dominating unit will get you further in that philosophy than spending the money on one player who will likely be injured each year given the number of carries he gets. Again, I don't think it's a cut and dry argument, just my opinion. Pay the blockers and the runners are far more interchangeable.

McCoy made a number of plays because he was a very good back, if not an elite back. The injury issue is valid but you can bring up that same issue for every player at every position. I agree with you that how the organization spent money is not a cut and dry issue. My point in the prior post is that if you are going to spend a lot of money it isn't foolish to spend it on playmakers. There are some solid offensive linemen available that may be brought in for a reasonable price. So the purchasing process is not over yet.

But wasn't most of that guaranteed money spent on players who will be on the team for several years? That's not a "go for broke" strategy.

If the Bills hadn't signed or extended those players, you'd similarly critique the organization for letting their good players walk. You're predictable.

This is a team 35-45 in their last 5 seasons, which to some is a span or underachieving not worthy of criticism And this is after 10 previous seasons where they won less than 40% of their games.

Where's Buddy Nix with that baby he talked about...6 years ago?

Edited by BillsVet

This is a team 35-45 in their last 5 seasons, which to some is a span or underachieving not worthy of criticism And this is after 10 previous seasons where they won less than 40% of their games.

Its being raised in hiding by DarthICE and dog14787, suckled by a jackal, and when it comes of age it will herald a new era of peace and prosperity not since seen on TBD since that time we almost made the playoffs before running into that whirring wood chipper that was the Yinzers third stringers. Or 1,000 years of darkness. Whatever it is, its going to be big.

Edited by Jauronimo

None of which addresses your argument that they went "go for broke" last season -- the only point I'm addressing. Per usual, you think I'm challenging you just because you're being critical, but really I'm challenging you because you're inaccurate.

Its being raised in hiding by DarthICE and dog14787 and when it comes of age it will herald in an era of peace and prosperity not since seen on TBD since that time we almost made the playoffs before running into that whirring wood chipper that was the Yinzers third stringers.

tumblr_nwbs9xppPt1ruza0go1_250.gif

Nix is thankfully out of the way. Whaley saw truly elite NFL talent wasted by a coaching staff which reports directly to ownership.

Nix is thankfully out of the way. Whaley saw truly elite NFL talent wasted by a coaching staff which reports directly to ownership.

I am not sold on Whaley yet. what has he done for the O line lately ? !

TPegs may not issued team leaders an ultimatum per se, but I'm sure the writing is on the wall.

Whaley and to a lesser extent Rex have accomplished very little in terms of a W-L record given how much cash was spent.

its not a one year deal, they went 8-8 not 2-14 and had an incredible amount of injuries

I am not sold on Whaley yet. what has he done for the O line lately ? !

I agree he should've prioritized it higher once Roman came aboard. He also made some mistakes with the QB position early on, like entering a season with nothing but ej and unproven backups, and signing Kevin kolb. At the same time he put together a team that carried marrone to a winning record. When marrone resigned Whaley was stuck with a coach who was a mismatch for that winning team on multiple levels and who owns a losing career record.

I won't be completely sold on Whaley either until he makes the playoffs. I also think a team that goes 9 and 7 under marrone, and a team that goes 8 and 8 under Rex despite being an awful fit, probably makes the playoffs with someone like Mike McCarthy or John fox...a coach who wins.

I wouldn't be immediately devastated if they moved on from Whaley but it would seem like a big missed opportunity.

I agree he should've prioritized it higher once Roman came aboard. He also made some mistakes with the QB position early on, like entering a season with nothing but ej and unproven backups, and signing Kevin kolb. At the same time he put together a team that carried marrone to a winning record. When marrone resigned Whaley was stuck with a coach who was a mismatch for that winning team on multiple levels and who owns a losing career record.

I won't be completely sold on Whaley either until he makes the playoffs. I also think a team that goes 9 and 7 under marrone, and a team that goes 8 and 8 under Rex despite being an awful fit, probably makes the playoffs with someone like Mike McCarthy or John fox...a coach who wins.

I wouldn't be immediately devastated if they moved on from Whaley but it would seem like a big missed opportunity.

I dont want to detract from the theme here. But the subject is O line and richie. If Bills field another abortion ( last year was the exception btw, and thats no great shakes honestly ) i gotta wonder what this guy is thinking as to what a winning team looks like to him

I dont want to detract from the theme here. But the subject is O line and richie. If Bills field another abortion ( last year was the exception btw, and thats no great shakes honestly ) i gotta wonder what this guy is thinking as to what a winning team looks like to him

Interesting point.

Considering how important Incognito was for the running game this past season, I really think that he is a must sign. I don't think we will be able to find a replacement that will be able to play at his level, particularly with our salary cap constraints.