Bills "frustrated" with Incognito contract demands*SIGNED*

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never pay a guard that kind of money. I just don't see the bang for the buck.

If I told you you could have the best guard in NFL history (I wouldn't know who to name but stay with me) for $10 million it still seems like even that guy can only have so much impact on your offense given his position.

Either John Hannah or Larry Allen.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If I told you get Larry Allen for $10 per season at guard, would you take it?

To me, the problem is that a guard is more dependent on the other linemen to be effective. If you had Larry Allen and a bunch of rookies/scrubs he'll still be great but the line will struggle, despite the investment.

Now, I could see investing in an all-world OL and dominating the line of scrimmage, but that means your team suffers somewhere else. I would MUCH rather invest in a great DL than a great OL, because I think the return is greater.

I think the only thing we need to look at was the guard play the previous year. It was brutal. Chris Williams, Cyril Richardson and to a lesser degree Urbik. Richie really did wonders for the line. Continuity for the leagues top rush O would be nice.

The value to the Bills is something to consider from a fans perspective. And the bolded is what i think.

I dont see whole lot out there that is equal in value (to the Bills) and Roman more specifically

No matter if he's a priority or not, you set a max number you're willing to give each player. It's basic budgeting really. Certain things in my life are a priority, but I'm not going to overspend on them.

Well how do you feel about Clay? Bills thought he was a necessity? or Lesean perhaps?

I will overspend on occasion. But then i scrimp and save somewhere else.

You might get me to budge a bit on guards if you're talking about one of the top guards in the league who is also 26-28 years old. Then I might say go ahead and "pay the man" because you'll have him for all of his prime years.

A guy on the wrong side of 30 asking for big $$ is too much risk with too little potential reward IMO.

I don't blame Richie for trying to get as much $$ as he can, especially given that he lost 2 years of his career. Guys don't have a lot of years to earn in this business.

It is crazy. Anyone else notice that the running game was still pretty good even with Shady on the sidelines? This FO saw first hand what a top OG can do for not only the pass / run game, but in making the two players along side of him better players.

Unless it's a ridiculous amount, pay the guy. Then sign Jahri Evans to play RG :D

we think alike !!

You might get me to budge a bit on guards if you're talking about one of the top guards in the league who is also 26-28 years old. Then I might say go ahead and "pay the man" because you'll have him for all of his prime years.

A guy on the wrong side of 30 asking for big $$ is too much risk with too little potential reward IMO.

I don't blame Richie for trying to get as much $$ as he can, especially given that he lost 2 years of his career. Guys don't have a lot of years to earn in this business.

Richie at his age and with his baggage isn't going to get as much as he thinks on the open market IMO. Guess we'll see whether he's overplayed his hand soon enough.

even if it is 3 year contract and the 3rd can be voided? where as a guy in his prime will want longer contract perhaps

Just give him some nice guarenteed monies?

Richie at his age and with his baggage isn't going to get as much as he thinks on the open market IMO. Guess we'll see whether he's overplayed his hand soon enough.

Or the Bills underplayed theirs :pirate:

even if it is 3 year contract and the 3rd can be voided? where as a guy in his prime will want longer contract perhaps

Just give him some nice guarenteed monies?

Or the Bills underplayed theirs :pirate:

I would have given Richie a 2 year deal last off-season, so that if he did really well I get to reap the benefit of it in 2016 to compensate me for taking the risk.

The Bills had all the leverage last offseason, and Richie would absolutely have taken 2 years. Too late now. Now Richie has all the leverage, and he would be foolish not to use it.

I would have given Richie a 2 year deal last off-season, so that if he did really well I get to reap the benefit of it in 2016 to compensate me for taking the risk.

The Bills had all the leverage last offseason, and Richie would absolutely have taken 2 years. Too late now. Now Richie has all the leverage, and he would be foolish not to use it.

how do you know he would have taken the 2 year deal? Did he say that? Unless he did, you are just making assumptions. No one knows what the negotiations were like last year and no one knows what they are this year either.

how do you know he would have taken the 2 year deal? Did he say that? Unless he did, you are just making assumptions. No one knows what the negotiations were like last year and no one knows what they are this year either.

I don't know, but I bet a guy who was out of the league for almost 2 years, a total pariah, and almost universally considered too much risk to bring back would have happily taken a 2 year deal to get back into football.

He didn't have very many options. You could have structured the deal to protect both sides. 1st year as it was, 2nd year option for $5 million.

You think a guy whose career was basically over would say "no thanks, I'll wait it out for a 1 year deal"?

Maybe but I doubt it.

This was a guy who needed the coach to push for him to the GM and then to have dinner with the owners before signing.

Edited by TheFunPolice

not to be snarky to anyone. But you make an important point ! None of us know what is going on with this. we have one report that could be BS and one article from Richie saying they have not made him a serious offer

I don't know, but I bet a guy who was out of the league for almost 2 years, a total pariah, and almost universally considered too much risk to bring back would have happily taken a 2 year deal to get back into football.

He didn't have very many options. You could have structured the deal to protect both sides. 1st year as it was, 2nd year option for $5 million.

You think a guy whose career was basically over would say "no thanks, I'll wait it out for a 1 year deal"?

Maybe but I doubt it.

This was a guy who needed the coach to push for him to the GM and then to have dinner with the owners before signing.

Surprised they did not negotiate with him mid year myself

I think Whaley rightly saw it as not the end of the world, IMO.

I personally would have wanted that 2nd year option just so I saw a payoff if he was great, but I'm not going to bash Whaley for not doing it either. You can find a guard who can do just fine.

As perturbed as i am the deal is not already done. This concept of " give us a chance to match" is really quite wise.

Is it? How would you react in the same situation if you found a deal out there for 10% more but you had to make a decision right then? What would you do? What if it was 15%? What if 20%?

Is it? How would you react in the same situation if you found a deal out there for 10% more but you had to make a decision right then? What would you do? What if it was 15%? What if 20%?

Depends on my perspective. Comparing my fit within the potential company as compared to dollars.

And if it is a now or never offer well, something stinks then.

boy you are in a bad mood today

:rolleyes:

everything I have read is that he is going to be a Guard for the Raiders and now this

@rand_getlin

When the market opens tomorrow, Kelechi Osemele will become the newest member of the #Raiders. The two sides have an agreement in principle.

Osemele's market was incredibly hot. When the deal is announced, it'll blow the top off of the OG market. Huge get for the #Raiders.

@spotrac

Calculated value of $9.7M, but the Raiders likely went north of $10M to get their guy early.

Why do the Raiders keep handing out these contracts and screwing up market value for every other team in the league?

how's that working out for ya?

Well we are in fact working on signing our own players for the most part so I would say the draft is working pretty well?

not at all, just realistic.

Let me ask you the same question then? what would you do.

Because i would hope Whaley's counter , as I previously mentioned, had best sway Richie convincingly that he is wanted and respected. I suspect that is done via the details of the deal.

If Whaley has a limit and someone beats it by twenty percent than i guess its no deal, but i would hope Overdorf left some room to bargain against any reasonable offers

Why do the Raiders keep handing out these contracts and screwing up market value for every other team in the league?

Well we are in fact working on signing our own players for the most part so I would say the draft is working pretty well?

Mean like the eagles do and Miami does ?

LOL