NFL.com: Fred Jackson wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please walk away, Fred. Sign a one-day contract in Buffalo and retire a Bill.

I hate it when these guys hang on too long.

This.

Well count me in the minority who still think he can play. He's never been fast, so I'm not sure where this whole "he's lost a step" thing is coming from. He wasn't really used in the running game with the Seahawks. I think he'll get a shot somewhere.

Bills, you can still lose a step and go from "not fast" to "slow".

I saw Freddy handed the ball in a couple of Seahawks games where he was brought down from behind short of the first. You could tell he was frustrated and knew he would have had the down a year or two back.

He wasn't used more in the running game by the Seahawks because he was not as effective as their other options. The Seahawks got value out of Fred in blocking and receiving out of the backfield, but you know how thoroughbred trainers sometimes put another animal, a dog or a goat or a donkey, in with one of their prized racers to help keep him calm and focused in the stall thus get more production out of him on the track? IMHO Fred was brought in by the Seahawks in part to be Marshawn's stall animal. No Marshawn, no need.

Bring him in, work him out. See what his actual speed and quickness are like with the stopwatch. We know he has all the intangibles, let's see the data.

Don't you think they had a stopwatch on him in OTAs and training camp and preseason last year? They have the data. They made a data-driven decision last year.

The most important thing we lost last year when Freddie was cut, was leadership. The team had NO leaders among the players. Shockingly, there were NO players-only meetings. To my mind, that was the biggest problem, even more than Wrecks destroying the defense. It wouldn't have been destroyed if some leaders among the players had straightened everyone out. But NO ONE stepped up.

What I think you, and others like you are missing, is that a guy can't lead effectively from street clothes or the bench. Why do you think Kyle Williams didn't fill that leader role after he got hurt? When a guy isn't out there in the trenches, he can't lead as a player. And FredEx would have been a healthy scratch most of the season with McCoy and Karlos Williams active on game day and Dixon as ST/emergency player. You might think they should have suited up FredEx and left Felton or one of the TE in the locker room, but that's not how Roman saw it. If it was, he wouldn't have been cut despite all the #rogue stuff.

Not sure why he wants to keep going. He may get a nod after a RB or two go down before or in the season and can contribute. The league minimum is high enough it would be some decent money for him, but he is entering his sunset.

God bless him for what he dod for so many bad Bills teams. We love you Fredex!

He's been pretty clear about what he wants, to be the oldest running back to play the game. He's close, and I don't think he gives a hoot about the money.

He's never really seemed like the kind of guy to spend a lot, I'm sure he's got plenty in the bank.

Fred Jackson has earned the right to do whatever TF he wants. Best of luck hooking on with another team Fred.

The debate isn't whether he has the right to try. The debate is whether it's possible he'd be wanted. There's plenty of guys that have earned the right to try and keep playing - in fact many that have earned it more than Fred.

You remind me of BF4E and his undying love for EJM.

He doesn't even post here anymore does he? He made some of the strangest arguments to support EJ. It rarely made even a little sense but in his head it was 100% fact. I often wondered if BF4E was related to EJ or a friend growing up. That is the only plausible reason that one could be so incredibly delusional.

• 3 weeks later...

A broken locker room with finger pointing for the Bills and yet another playoff appearance for the Hawks.

Are you suggesting that if Freddy was there, Mario and the other malcontents on defense would have toed the line? That Mario would have put forth maximum effort at all times because Freddy had that kind of influence on him?

GO BILLS!!!

Are you suggesting that if Freddy was there, Mario and the other malcontents on defense would have toed the line? That Mario would have put forth maximum effort at all times because Freddy had that kind of influence on him?

GO BILLS!!!

I'm suggesting that losing a vocal leader in such a tumultuous time didn't help. Did we have a single players meeting all year? Wasn't half the team complaining that no one was taking charge, holding players accountable, and standing up/speaking out?

If you want to say you're sure he would've made no difference, fine. But I'm not that sure. I haven't seen a Bill locker room that dysfunctional in a long time. Sniping at each other anonymously? Sniping at their coach in the press willy-nilly? When was the last time that **** flew in a Bills locker room?

Edited by FireChan

A broken locker room with finger pointing for the Bills and yet another playoff appearance for the Hawks.

I knew it was you before I even looked to see who wrote that.