NFL.com: Fred Jackson wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

The most important thing we lost last year when Freddie was cut, was leadership. The team had NO leaders among the players. Shockingly, there were NO players-only meetings. To my mind, that was the biggest problem, even more than Wrecks destroying the defense. It wouldn't have been destroyed if some leaders among the players had straightened everyone out. But NO ONE stepped up.

I considered suggesting bringing Jackson back just for his leadership abilities. The problem is, leadership in the locker room requires performance on the field. By next year, even more of the Bills will have never played with Jackson, and have no idea what kind of player he was. He would be a seldom-used backup, trying to tell younger, more-effective players how to conduct themselves. They would blow him off, and everyone involved would be miserable.

Come back to Buffalo, Freddie. Settle in down the street from Thurman Thomas, and you and he can play catch with your kids in the street. I'd pay money to see that.

You would?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well count me in the minority who still think he can play. He's never been fast, so I'm not sure where this whole "he's lost a step" thing is coming from. He wasn't really used in the running game with the Seahawks. I think he'll get a shot somewhere.

It's actually $400k less than Boobie's deal if we signed Fred to a vet minimum.

FC - Good to know. i love when you guys are able to pull up these details as I wouldn't know where to look. I guess the one thing I'd want to bring him back is a willingness and can show he can be effective on special teams. By his own admission, the last three years he has been increasing his size to be a better power player. He stated this on NFLR last summer. His argument to the hosts is many older RB's try and keep losing weight to keep their speed up. He went the other way to use his power to keep playing.

I'd love to have him back if he could prove in camp he can be an impact ST player, and basically a passing threat, and pass pro. He'd be great for Karlos Williams development teaching him the nuances of pass pro, and pass catching abilities. I seriously doubt that would happen so i stick behind my earlier comment, he could get called off the street mid season but probably would not get a tryout in camp.

FC - Good to know. i love when you guys are able to pull up these details as I wouldn't know where to look. I guess the one thing I'd want to bring him back is a willingness and can show he can be effective on special teams. By his own admission, the last three years he has been increasing his size to be a better power player. He stated this on NFLR last summer. His argument to the hosts is many older RB's try and keep losing weight to keep their speed up. He went the other way to use his power to keep playing.

I'd love to have him back if he could prove in camp he can be an impact ST player, and basically a passing threat, and pass pro. He'd be great for Karlos Williams development teaching him the nuances of pass pro, and pass catching abilities. I seriously doubt that would happen so i stick behind my earlier comment, he could get called off the street mid season but probably would not get a tryout in camp.

Just for reference, Sportrac is one of the best websites for that stuff.

https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2015-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/anthony-dixon/

I'd love to have Fred back over Boobie. If we just roll with McCoy, Karlos and Gillislee, that's fine too.

Well count me in the minority who still think he can play. He's never been fast, so I'm not sure where this whole "he's lost a step" thing is coming from. He wasn't really used in the running game with the Seahawks. I think he'll get a shot somewhere.

You can still lose a step even if you're not considered fast. You just become slower.

The most important thing we lost last year when Freddie was cut, was leadership. The team had NO leaders among the players. Shockingly, there were NO players-only meetings. To my mind, that was the biggest problem, even more than Wrecks destroying the defense. It wouldn't have been destroyed if some leaders among the players had straightened everyone out. But NO ONE stepped up.

I considered suggesting bringing Jackson back just for his leadership abilities. The problem is, leadership in the locker room requires performance on the field. By next year, even more of the Bills will have never played with Jackson, and have no idea what kind of player he was. He would be a seldom-used backup, trying to tell younger, more-effective players how to conduct themselves. They would blow him off, and everyone involved would be miserable.

Come back to Buffalo, Freddie. Settle in down the street from Thurman Thomas, and you and he can play catch with your kids in the street. I'd pay money to see that.

Awsome

You're right he's never been "fast" but he did other things to make up for it. Now he's so slow that he can't use those other tools. It's like he's running in soft sand out there.

I loved Fred when he was here but I think the leadership void was a bit overstated when he left. We needed the QB who came from a SB winning team to step up as the leader, not a RB on his last legs who never won anything. I am sure that sounds bad and I'm sorry, but the guys said Fred was the one everyone listened before. We need them to rally behind TT, not a retiring part time RB. It was time for Fred to move on if he wasn't going to contribute on the field. TT came from the type of culture we want to establish. Fred came from the type of culture we want to leave behind. We need to move forward with new leaders.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Old Fred is a dreamer!

Please walk away, Fred. Sign a one-day contract in Buffalo and retire a Bill.

I hate it when these guys hang on too long.

Indeed