McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

I can't translate the second part at all. "It's someone that Tank ended up knowing" - who or what is Tank? And what does "ended up knowing" mean? I grasp that the source was in the club in close proximity to what happened, so should be a good witness. Can anyone help me translate the rest?

"Tank" is a nickname for Hollis Thomas, who's been a contributor for Philly sports station 94.1, WIP for at least as long as I can remember since I moved out here about four years ago.

Since then, he's been moved up to a full time part on the Josh Innes show, which is their powerhouse 2-6 home commute block. He has a rep, albeit a joking one, of being a fine conniseur of Philly nightlife, bars and strip clubs, so when the bar fight went dowm, it seemed that he started reaching out to friends and aquaintances to see if they knew what happened.

Again, this is far from solid witnesses in court, but hopefully this is the context you were looking for.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how this would play out if it was you or I in Leseans position? Meaning , a non millionaire celebrity.

I guess i should say, if it was me who made the mistake this would have gone very poorly indeed.

Pretty sure i would be in a cell and fairly well abused by now. And looking at a felony with state time

Most times how your fare in the legal process is directly dependent on much money you have to spend to defend yourself and how 'good' your attorney is along with whether or not they believe your 'story'. I've seen people charged with more severe offenses get a lighter sentence than others charged with lessor charges because of what I concluded was how much they could afford to spend. If this was you or I against the off-duty cops we'd have be facing felony assault charges the day it happened.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

"Tank" is a nickname for Hollis Thomas, who's been a contributor for Philly sports station 94.1, WIP for at least as long as I can remember since I moved out here about four years ago.

Since then, he's been moved up to a full time part on the Josh Innes show, which is their powerhouse 2-6 home commute block. He has a rep, albeit a joking one, of being a fine conniseur of Philly nightlife, bars and strip clubs, so when the bar fight went dowm, it seemed that he started reaching out to friends and aquaintances to see if they knew what happened.

Again, this is far from solid witnesses in court, but hopefully this is the context you were looking for.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again.

Why would three cops buy four bottles of Champagne at once... in a private club with no closing time. Methinks they tried to pinch one from McCoy's crew, not the other way around. Have a hard time thinking he would try to swipe a bottle. But that's just me.

Why would three cops buy four bottles of Champagne at once... in a private club with no closing time. Methinks they tried to pinch one from McCoy's crew, not the other way around. Have a hard time thinking he would try to swipe a bottle. But that's just me.

and how they going to afford it?

There is nothing unusual in a crowed establishment where the servers are overloaded to buy your bottles up front so that you don't have to go through the hassle of making a number of purchases. It's not like they are ordering a dozen drinks at one time and having glasses all over the table. You get your glasses and then put your bottles on the table and share with the babes. All this is done in the pursuit of efficiency.

Most times how your fare in the legal process is directly dependent on much money you have to spend to defend yourself and how 'good' your attorney is along with whether or not they believe your 'story'. I've seen people charged with more severe offenses get a lighter sentence than others charged with lessor charges because of what I concluded was how much they could afford to spend. If this was you or I against the off-duty cops we'd have be facing felony assault charges the day it happened.

Tulane and Johnny opened a novelty shop

Back under the counter was the cream of the crop

Eveything was clicking and the business was good

'Til one day, lo and behold, an officer stood

Johnny jumped the counter but he stumbled and fell

Tulane made it over Johnny belted a yell

Go ahead on, Tulane, he can't catch up with you

Go Tulane, he ain't man enough for you

Go Tulane, use all the speed you got

Go Tulane, you know you need a lot

Go Tulane, he laggin' behind

Go ahead on, Tulane, go ahead on"

Go,let Danny drive in case you run into the Man

Back by the shop and get the stuff and hide it in the van.

Go back by your father’s, get the money for the bail.

And bring it down and bail me out this rotten, funky jail.

We gotta get a lawyer in the clique of politics

Somebody who can win the thing or get the thing fixed.

-Chuck Berry

Not much changed, huh? Except I don't think the DA would want to put in the effort to pursue felony charges in the face of questionable police conduct for "ordinary joes" they'd say "we don't have time for this". Even if they did...get a good lawyer - get a title loan or pawn to pay the retainer fee if you can't charge it - plead to misdemeanor simple assault, get probation, maybe pay a fine depending upon the municipality. Unless you're already on probation, then you go to jail. But you better watch your step in that precinct 'cuz you're known now and if you give the cops the smallest hammer they will nail you hard for what you did.

It's not entirely how much you have to spend (though a good lawyer helps) but also the strength of the police case - can the attorney spot any obvious flaws in police procedure or factors he could readily exploit to create reasonable doubt at a trial. But sometimes sentencing is just inconsistent.

Shady's celebrity status is fueling the FOP outrage to set the stage for a good settlement IMHO.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't think McCoy would. I have been suspicious all along if three cops bought four bottles of champagne good enough that a millionaire would consider drinking it.

all conjecture of course!!

FOP prez threatens to go to Atty General if he's not charged, and again with the OJ references

"We'll look to go to the attorney general," McNesby said, "if McCoy is not charged. Well also have our attorneys file a private criminal complaint and well move in that direction."

"Listen, all my time as a Philadelphia police officer I was involved in over 4,500 felony arrests," McNesby told Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show on Friday. "I've never waited this long, ever, to see somebody arrested. So, it doesnt pass the smell test. Somethings funny going on. I know that they have more discovery on this case then they had in the O.J. Simpson case. I mean its taken up rooms. So I mean, how much more do you need? All you have to do is clearly look at that video."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/19/fop-president-mccoy-oj/#.Vsci19efp_w.twitter Edited by YoloinOhio

I have some experience in these area. In a previous life.

The Lawyers can make all the difference unless it is cut and dry. and even then. Judges have a slant too. Just how the world works

Edited by 3rdand12

Good post, I don't disagree with any of it. I see a ton of injuries, both serious and not, in my line of work, and I can say that generally speaking, with the exception of an orbital fracture the injuries sustained by these guys are not something most consider "serious" -- with the obvious caveat that any injury can be significant under the right combination of circumstances.

they likely fall in the category of not seriously life threatening, but you would be seriously unhappy if they happened to you.

I dont think it looks good for anyone honestly John.

someone will have to receive punishment, if not everyone.

Maybe the Cops get paid leave from the precinct and so does Lesean from Goodell.

I wonder how this would play out if it was you or I in Leseans position? Meaning , a non millionaire celebrity.

I guess i should say, if it was me who made the mistake this would have gone very poorly indeed.

Pretty sure i would be in a cell and fairly well abused by now. And looking at a felony with state time

The more that is known about this case the more it becomes apparent that there are no angels in the fray. Asssholes to the left and asssholes to the right. When asssholes engage you get a ****ty situation.

If average Joes would have been involved with the off duty police I have no doubt that they would have been stampeded and trampled. Upon review of this case that is what happened here. When the police made their next day complaint there was a rush to file criminal charges and send it up to the DA's office. The DA's office isn't acting out of the purity of the law. It realizes that this is a high profile case with a top shelf attorney handling the defense. They don't want their office to be tarnished and caught up in the morass for a bull shiiit bar brawl.

In my opinion If blame is to be apportioned for this looming fiasco the biggest fault lies with the department and the people who took the complaint. After receiving the complaint they should have investigated this case more thoroughly. City cops are for the most part are seasoned cops. The people who took the complaint had a good inkling of what happened and they understood without officially acknowledging it why the cops left the scene and didn't file the complaint until the next day.

The more that is known about this case the more it becomes apparent that there are no angels in the fray. Asssholes to the left and asssholes to the right. When asssholes engage you get a ****ty situation.

If average Joes would have been involved with the off duty police I have no doubt that they would have been stampeded and trampled. Upon review of this case that is what happened here. When the police made their next day complaint there was a rush to file criminal charges and send it up to the DA's office. The DA's office isn't acting out of the purity of the law. It realizes that this is a high profile case with a top shelf attorney handling the defense. They don't want their office to be tarnished and caught up in the morass for a bull shiiit bar brawl.

In my opinion If blame is to be apportioned for this looming fiasco the biggest fault lies with the department and the people who took the complaint. After receiving the complaint they should have investigated this case more thoroughly. City cops are for the most part are seasoned cops. The people who took the complaint had a good inkling of what happened and they understood without officially acknowledging it why the cops left the scene and didn't file the complaint until the next day.

I have no doubt the Precinct all know what happens at recess.

I find the police behaviour suspicious ate the least and Lesean and his buddies, just stupid.

being a tin foil hat type, i remain considerate that more is was going on that night than we may ever know

Great, everybody should just shake hands & forget about it. That would be the best outcome. Lets hope anyway. Turns out to be a bar fight or maybe over a woman. Cops don't want it. Sounds good.

that would have been best in hindsight.

But waaay too late.

Now we have two pissed off groups.

So the report about the DA not wanting to press charges is likely true.

Sounds that way.

It sounds like there is a lot more to this case than the initial reports from the police indicated.

If the case goes forward, I have a feeling that this may be an example of "be careful what you wish for (for the police), you just might get it."

I surmise:

If this matter did not involve off duty police officers, the police would not be pushing for prosecution and probably would have forgotten about the whole thing after preparing a perfunctory police report.

Edited by Peter