Cam's last fumble...

Big Turk

People have been lambasting him for lack of effort on the play, but I honestly didn't think that immediately as I watched it happen...

Initially I think he thought it was a dead ball, then it looked like he was going to try and pick it up but just as he approached, 2 big dudes came diving and sliding towards him and it looked like he kind of moved back to avoid his leg getting hit. From where he was and how he was approaching the ball, I don't think he even could have dove on the ball...he would have literally had to stop, almost jump straight in the air and then land on it. If he would have dove, the ball probably would have been around his knee as he went over the top of it....

I just watched and rewatched the video and I see the same thing...the Denver player comes diving in very close to his leg as he was bending down to pick it up, causing him to move back. There is really no possible way he could have "dove" at that point and made any real attempt near the ball. He was bent down, kind of back off balance to avoid having his leg hit and really in no position to dive and was too close at that point.

If he was going to dive, he needed to do it after he took a few steps before he bent down to pick it up. Once he did that, his body position, balance and then when he kind of moved his leg back out of the way meant there was no real way a "dive" anywhere near he ball was possible.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He likely wasn't getting it, and he sure as hell didn't look like he had any interest in seeing himself lose that battle.

In that situation, if you can even get close to getting a hand on the ball - get in there and see if you can out wrestle someone. This isn't the 3rd quarter of a blowout in week three, it's literally now or possibly never again in your career for some guys.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree. I don't think he wussed out. Seemed like he was trying to size up how to go after the ball, and diving was not a good option there.

Not a real great-looking attempt, but I don't think he just gave up-- maybe over-thought it, if anything.

Aren't most fumble recoveries involve diving? Isn't that the developed instinct?

It was Orton-esque.

LOL enough time has passed that I can laugh at that and not be pissed. So glad we got Tyrod now. Another funny was Matt Castle in pre-season trying to jump over a player for a 1st down and failing miserably. anyone remember that? showed heart and comedy IN A PRE-SEASON GAME lol. poor cam. I bet Carolina grabs 2 WR;s and a new RT through FA and the draft.

Edited by Marty McFly

His instinct should have been "Get ball, NOW!". He gave up on it instead...I really don't see how it could be interpreted any other way.

I like Newton alright, even if he makes me cringe, but so do many QB's...Jim Kelly certainly did. Marino was always whining at teammates and officials, Phil Simms, too. There is a long list of arrogant D-bags that have been good QB's, and generally well liked. Hopefully Newton learns some humility (maybe just a little?), but I doubt it.

He didnt give up. It looked like he was trying to not just fall on it but wanted to catch it on the bounce so he could run with it. Unfortunately for him it took a funny bounce.

Pfft. It was more rolling than bouncing. No one looks at that and thinks it's about to bounce up high enough for him to catch it, or scoop it up. Well, at least no one that isn't a Cam apologist. It was obviously time to fall on that ball. He backs away...

Edited by HoF Watkins

People have been lambasting him for lack of effort on the play, but I honestly didn't think that immediately as I watched it happen...

I pointed it out and then on the replay my friends agreed that WTF was he not going for the ball for?

Biggest game of his life and losing, I'd be pretty embarrassed to do that myself. I'd be embarrased if my QB gave that kind of effort.

I like the guy, he's had a phenomenal year and he's firmly cemented himself as an upper echelon QB. I'm a little gutted for him that their personnel problems caught up with them on the biggest stage.

Initially I think he thought it was a dead ball, then it looked like he was going to try and pick it up but just as he approached, 2 big dudes came diving and sliding towards him and it looked like he kind of moved back to avoid his leg getting hit. From where he was and how he was approaching the ball, I don't think he even could have dove on the ball...he would have literally had to stop, almost jump straight in the air and then land on it. If he would have dove, the ball probably would have been around his knee as he went over the top of it....

I just watched and rewatched the video and I see the same thing...the Denver player comes diving in very close to his leg as he was bending down to pick it up, causing him to move back. There is really no possible way he could have "dove" at that point and made any real attempt near the ball. He was bent down, kind of back off balance to avoid having his leg hit and really in no position to dive and was too close at that point.

If he was going to dive, he needed to do it after he took a few steps before he bent down to pick it up. Once he did that, his body position, balance and then when he kind of moved his leg back out of the way meant there was no real way a "dive" anywhere near he ball was possible.

BS, he pussed out, it was clear to see that he didn't want to get hurt so he backed off.

I agree. I don't think he wussed out. Seemed like he was trying to size up how to go after the ball, and diving was not a good option there.

Not a real great-looking attempt, but I don't think he just gave up-- maybe over-thought it, if anything.

there is no thought process there, your instinct is to dive on the ball, unless your afraid that is

It was Orton-esque.

indeed