Man has copy of original CBS broadcast of SB 1 - NFL says FU

because they don't make money...the teams do. the nfl acts as a pass through. the teams pay taxes.

I stand corrected. You are right aristocrat and apparently the NFL offices have even given up their tax exemption status.

My bad. I guess that is what I get for only looking at headlines or listening to loud detractors and not digging into it myself.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/28/8508905/nfl-tax-exempt-nonprofit-roger-goodell-salary

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/01/nfl-tax-exempt/

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we're supposed to give the knee jerk reaction that the NFL is in the wrong, but $30,000 for an old videotape sounds a lot more reasonable than $1M.

NFL is cheap.

This article is overblown to say the least. $1 million for an old tape that isn't even complete? Who decides the value? Also, how is this different than all of the clips the NFL already has of the game. They cobbled together what they had already and have replayed it on NFL network. Seems to me to just be another example of an attempt at a cash grab. One other thing for the morons out there without any knowledge of finance. The NFL as an entity is for the most part cash neutral. The $9 billion revenue monster is almost 100% distributed to the teams after expenses. $1 million for an old VHS tape is probably more than any revenue that may ever be generated from having that footage.

NFL is broke ... :lol::lol::lol:

Why is it worth way more than $30,000? How would you propose to monetize that investment?

There are people that spend $30,000 on gold toilet seats. There will be someone willing to risk the lawsuit (or keep it for themselves, like stolen art), because it is such a rare, historical piece. It's value will only go up, because eventually it will become public domain.

Edited by HoF Watkins

There are people that spend $30,000 on gold toilet seats. There will be someone willing to risk the lawsuit (or keep it for themselves, like stolen art), because it is such a rare, historical piece. It's value will only go up, because eventually it will become public domain.

$30k for a gold toilet seat? Not unless it is heated and has artwork by Michael or Angelo. If you spend more than 17.5 on a standard gold seat you are getting ripped off.

It seems like this might be the best play for his guy now.

He clearly overplayed his hand when he demanded $1 million. With the 50th anniversary come and gone, the tape doesn't have much value.

50th anniversary is actually next year - this is the 50th game which is different.

And I agree the NFL should not pay $1M for a tape of questionable quality.

He could definitely make more than $30k selling it to a sports collector. People forget how obsessive these guys can be, and the fact this is the only known footage makes it that much more alluring. He wouldn't get a million, but there's definitely someone out there willing to pay six figures in cash for it. All the media coverage only adds to the intrigue as well.

He could definitely make more than $30k selling it to a sports collector. People forget how obsessive these guys can be, and the fact this is the only known footage makes it that much more alluring. He wouldn't get a million, but there's definitely someone out there willing to pay six figures in cash for it. All the media coverage only adds to the intrigue as well.

Problem is he legally can't sell it to anyone. The only buyer can be the NFL. So the nfl dictates his price.

Problem is he legally can't sell it to anyone. The only buyer can be the NFL. So the nfl dictates his price.

That, ultimately, is a matter for the court to decide. Prima facie he doesn't seem to have much of a defense if he does sell it to someone else and the NFL sue... but he could try if he was so inclined.

Many NFL fans would love to see the game. The NFLs actions deprive the fans from seeing it. They are in the wrong here. They should work something out.

No, the NFL is depriving any fan from buying it. The owner is the only one who is preventing anyone from seeing it. He is free to give it away or to show it (for free) to anyone and everyone he chooses.

That, ultimately, is a matter for the court to decide. Prima facie he doesn't seem to have much of a defense if he does sell it to someone else and the NFL sue... but he could try if he was so inclined.

What would the court be deciding--whether it is copyright protected?

What would the court be deciding--whether it is copyright protected?

Broadly, yes. It would be deciding whether the individual has the legal right to sell the tape to a collector. That would go to two factors essentially:

1) Is it copyrighted?

2) Does the copyright prevent the individual from selling the tape to a third party (as distinct from preventing him from broadcasting it to an audience).

As ever, my knowledge is based on the UK law.... but I believe the US law is not dissimilar in this area. Given cross border copyright issues there are necessarily pretty standard principles.

EDIT: If the NFL is successful in proving it is copyrighted (and what I read leads me to believe it would be) then it would no doubt argue that selling the tape is a breach of their copyright as it still amounts to dissemination and a desire to profit on the back of their intellectual property. I think it would prima facie have a strong case and if I was advising the individual concerned I'd advise him not to put the NFL to proof.... but he could if he wanted to.

Of course if I was advising someone in that context I would have advised them not to approach the NFL in the first place but approach a private sports memorabilia collector and try and sell it that route.

Edited by GunnerBill

Broadly, yes. It would be deciding whether the individual has the legal right to sell the tape to a collector. That would go to two factors essentially:

1) Is it copyrighted?

2) Does the copyright prevent the individual from selling the tape to a third party (as distinct from preventing him from broadcasting it to an audience).

As ever, my knowledge is based on the UK law.... but I believe the US law is not dissimilar in this area. Given cross border copyright issues there are necessarily pretty standard principles.

EDIT: If the NFL is successful in proving it is copyrighted (and what I read leads me to believe it would be) then it would no doubt argue that selling the tape is a breach of their copyright as it still amounts to dissemination and a desire to profit on the back of their intellectual property. I think it would prima facie have a strong case and if I was advising the individual concerned I'd advise him not to put the NFL to proof.... but he could if he wanted to.

Of course if I was advising someone in that context I would have advised them not to approach the NFL in the first place but approach a private sports memorabilia collector and try and sell it that route.

I didn't think the copyright was in question. If not, he has no case.

It's hard to make a definitive statement without more info, but based on the article the NFL comes off like a bunch of petty asswipes. If they don't want it they could at least work out a deal by which this guy could sell it to someone who does.

That's a slippery slope. If they give him permission to sell copyrighted stuff then you could record the superbowl this week and sell copies of it. Or go to the theatre with a camera and sell the film. This is the reason for copyrights.