Man has copy of original CBS broadcast of SB 1 - NFL says FU

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin Haupt was the great uncle of Bill Bellichick:

"Haupt’s father, Martin, taped the game. Haupt never knew him. Haupt and his mother, Beth Rebuck, say they have no idea what he did for a living back then. They also don’t know why he went to work on Jan. 15, 1967, with a pair of two-inch Scotch tapes, slipped one, and then the other, into a Quadruplex taping machine and recorded the Green Bay Packers’ 35-10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. He told his family nothing about his day’s activity."

This article is overblown to say the least. $1 million for an old tape that isn't even complete? Who decides the value? Also, how is this different than all of the clips the NFL already has of the game. They cobbled together what they had already and have replayed it on NFL network. Seems to me to just be another example of an attempt at a cash grab. One other thing for the morons out there without any knowledge of finance. The NFL as an entity is for the most part cash neutral. The $9 billion revenue monster is almost 100% distributed to the teams after expenses. $1 million for an old VHS tape is probably more than any revenue that may ever be generated from having that footage.

Man (Zapruder) says he has tape of Kennedy assassination. CIA says "Ah, we'll take that". Some time later, returns tape.

See the NFL ain't so bad!

“It was my right to tell my story, and they were paying me for it,” Haupt said. Or you could have told your story for free. Or go on CBS's "60 minutes" or something.

As for that story: "my biological father, who I never knew gifted me a film of the SB he took by pointing a camera at a TV and I want a million dollars for it but the NFL won't pay me or let me sell their proprietary content".

Story told...

Edited by Mr. WEO

This article is overblown to say the least. $1 million for an old tape that isn't even complete? Who decides the value? Also, how is this different than all of the clips the NFL already has of the game. They cobbled together what they had already and have replayed it on NFL network. Seems to me to just be another example of an attempt at a cash grab. One other thing for the morons out there without any knowledge of finance. The NFL as an entity is for the most part cash neutral. The $9 billion revenue monster is almost 100% distributed to the teams after expenses. $1 million for an old VHS tape is probably more than any revenue that may ever be generated from having that footage.

The market should determine the value of the tape. The NFL makes $1 million like we make an hour's salary. When the game was broadcast, the NFL didn't even think of copyrighting it. They were happy that anyone would actually watch the game.

The league is showing itself to be more and more of the WWE than an actual sports organization. This is news, and should be treated as such. If a regular Joe can make a buck selling it, he should be able to do so. It shouldn't be up to the pompous jerks in the NFL...

It's no less prohibited today than it was then. All pro leagues announce during every broadcast that you can't tape and rebroadcast or sell for money.

The market should determine the value of the tape. The NFL makes $1 million like we make an hour's salary. When the game was broadcast, the NFL didn't even think of copyrighting it. They were happy that anyone would actually watch the game.

That would be the only potential loophole Haupt could look into. Was a sufficient broadcast copyright in place at the time? Otherwise, it's property of the league and Haupt should have taken the 30k.

The league is showing itself to be more and more of the WWE than an actual sports organization. This is news, and should be treated as such. If a regular Joe can make a buck selling it, he should be able to do so. It shouldn't be up to the pompous jerks in the NFL...

The NFL owns the rights to the game. Why would they surrender those rights?

If somebody taped your wedding and wanted to make money selling the tape, wouldn't you object?

Curiously, the guy owns the tapes but not the content on the tapes. Funny situation.

The market always dictates the value of something. In this case, there's not much of a market. Maybe some rich ex-player or Packer fan might want to own something like this.

But the tapes are incomplete, damaged, and can't be broadcast. This guy mistakenly thought he had something worth $1 million. Apparently, he was very wrong. Let's see if he can even find someone willing to pay more than the NFL's offer of $30,000.

And the market did. The value is $30,000. The NFL is the market. Dude rejected it, case closed.

I'm always amazed at people who think the size or revenue of one party in a negotiation should dictate the terms of that negotiation. If Donald Trump had the tape would we all still be outraged that the NFL wasn't rushing to fork over a million dollars for a tape with minimal value?

I know we're supposed to give the knee jerk reaction that the NFL is in the wrong, but $30,000 for an old videotape sounds a lot more reasonable than $1M.

Both are completely arbitrary numbers. The reality is that the NFL has all of the leverage here. They are the only entity that can purchase the tape.

And the market did. The value is $30,000. The NFL is the market. Dude rejected it, case closed.

I'm always amazed at people who think the size or revenue of one party in a negotiation should dictate the terms of that negotiation. If Donald Trump had the tape would we all still be outraged that the NFL wasn't rushing to fork over a million dollars for a tape with minimal value?

If Trump had the tape he would claim he had it because he was an advisor to Lombardi and that he was the reason the Packers won the game.

Well they did copyright it. So you telling me their "feelings" is contradictory to reality. Now they're saying they still own the copyright (which they do), and warning this individual not to violate the copyright. See how this works? The free market is irrelevant when someone has legal rights to property, whether physical or intellectual. If I wanted to manufacture atorvastatin in my garage, I could not. It's irrelevant that I could make it cheaper than Pfizer. There is no market.

The free market is irrelevant when someone has legal rights to property, whether physical or intellectual.

Correct. If the guy wants to sell the tape to another party for $1million he can, but he can expect the NFL to issue legal proceedings to protect their rights shortly afterwards. Now he can pay someone to defend him, or defend himself, and test that in court if he wishes - but I were his lawyer I'd be advising him his chances of winning were minimal.

I know we're supposed to give the knee jerk reaction that the NFL is in the wrong, but $30,000 for an old videotape sounds a lot more reasonable than $1M.

Agreed. Especially with the condition of the tape and the dubious nature of its ownership.

To play devil's advocate though if we go looking for another collectible of its rarity and notoriety we might consider T206 Honus Wagner which has sold from the high six digits to 2.8 mil.

I believe the tape will enter the public domain in 2034. If I were him, I'd keep it until then, at which time there will actually be a market for the tape not dependent solely on the valuation of the NFL. It's hard to believe that the NFL is so greedy that it won't at least negotiate with the guy to try an obtain an invaluable piece of league history.