Does OJ Have CTE?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey don't forget those intellectual parts as Nordberg from the Naked Gun.

All kidding aside, he's a rotten person, but as Hondo pointed out is one of the top 3 RB's ever. He's never spoken of because of his horrible behavior.

As far as the pathologist, I'm in medicine and have been involved in cancer staging, dysplasia which is tissue which leads to cancer and so on. If he didn't actually review his medical records and even that would be a leap, and no neurologic exams, his opinion is meaningless.

It is as stated by others a media grab to further his agenda, maybe not for notoriety, but because he is passionate young men put themselves in danger playing football.

Either way, the guy is a criminal from high school days, he's a criminal now, and most likely was a murderer. CTE is no excuse.

It just sucks he was a Buffalo Bill who made 2003 yards in 14 games. Never been repeated. Not by Dickerson, nor AP. I'm fine with taking him off the wall with a new stadium. I say do it quietly though, and don't make a big deal of it. A new stadium is at best 10 years away. By then, OJ's accomplishments will be 50 years in the past. Since I was only a little boy during the best years and I'm 48, i would be 58. The younger fans won't even know what a great player he was and is a moot point. Let him fade away while he rots in prison.

The public yawned. The games played on, with players taking extra care to drill eachother helmet to helmet every week.

No noticeable legacy.

I think you are seriously underestimating the impact of the discovery. Personally, my kids are not going to be playing football and I know many other people who played the game but have decided this.

As the extent of the damage is revealed the participation will plummet and lawsuits will take off. I think the game will be radically different 10 years from now. No question in my mind.

CTE may be the explanation for some of the posts on TSW!

I think you're on to something here. I played Little Loop football in the southtowns, then went on to high school football, and even played some soccer. Then later in life, went on to do some Muay Thai training/sparring. My noggin has taken a lot of hits, for sure. So yeah, I'm probably right there with OJ....LOL

A heck of lot more than internet chatter....It would be headline news, you don't think there are any particular groups that may have an issue with it?

Actually, if they just took it down with no fanfare and no announcement there probably wouldn't be much. They'd get asked about it and could offer a simple, generic statement and not take questions. It'd be covered in the usual news cycle and then it'd be gone.

His name on the stadium should've been taken down a looooooong time ago. Turns the idea of "honor" into a joke. There really is no good justification to keep it up. If it were up to me I'd take it down today.

The man lost his wife!!! Cut him some freaking slack! Anyone might be a little nuts after a trauma like that. Have a little empathy.

I think some people give these "Wall of Fame" honors way too much weight. It's one notch beyond "Free Bobble-head Night", as a promotional gimmick, as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less if the took his name down or not.

I'm largely indifferent, but if forced to choose I'd come down on the side of "keep it up" for two reasons: 1) I'm not a fan of "cleansing" history, and 2) more importantly, I think it serves as an excellent reminder that our heroes really ain't all that heroic most of the time.

I'm largely indifferent, but if forced to choose I'd come down on the side of "keep it up" for two reasons: 1) I'm not a fan of "cleansing" history, and 2) more importantly, I think it serves as an excellent reminder that our heroes really ain't all that heroic most of the time.

I think that is the best argument for keeping him there. It happened, he was one of the all-time greats, and later he killed his wife and another man. Anyone that cares about his accomplishments on the field, also knows about his post-career downfall.

Edited by HoF Watkins

If he did, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

While I love going to Bills games, I am ashamed we have OJ Simpson's name up on the Ring of Honor / Wall of Fame and I think Pegula should take it down. I don't care what he did, he probably killed two people, wrote a book about how if he did, this was how and is serving time for felony kidnapping becomes someone had his sports memorabilia. He is not someone I think this franchise should be associated with. It would be like having Darren Sharper's name on the Ring. I don't care what his on field accomplishments are, there is a point where what you do off the field becomes your legacy and it is not the legacy the future should be associated with.

As a stand-up comedian said in a show, people are defined by the worst **** that they do. Nobody talks about OJ Simpson juking one of the Dolphins defenders any more.

Now any NFL player that gets into trouble will just blame it on CTE. This should end well

There is no legal defense in criminal law based on a person having CTE or brain damage. While evidence of the disease may be used as mitigation at sentencing, or in some rare cases for a lesser degree of murder, nobody will ever be acquitted because they have CTE. That being said, brain damage can lead to criminal conduct in that a person's brain is no longer capable of processing information the way a healthy brain can. For example, a person with frontal lobe damage might have a difficult time with impulse control when confronted with a stressful or seemingly threatening scenario. That person might react in a violent or aggressive manner when a healthy person would have been equipped to respond in a more reasonable manner. Knowing that a person has brain disease helps to at least understand why he might have acted a certain way.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/01/30/concussion-doctor-says-oj-simpson-has-cte

I must agree. OJ was a normal, if not amazing person you would want to be your friend.. up to the mid 80's or so. Then he evolved into a bad person over a period of years.

His behavior after football was so contrary to his behavior as a young man. My favorite memories are of him in the Airplane movie.

A CTE diagnosis shouldn't clear anyone from responsibility for their actions. But it should be a factor when considering their punishment. Unfortunately, you have to dead before people know you had CTE. WTF.

I might go see that concussion movie now...

Whoops. Close this if you want. I see another similar thread.

Edited by boater

To the three Doctor's on this board...

As they say on Reddit "explain it to me like I'm 5"

With MRI's that show every molecule of your being these days... why do you need to be dead and physically cut open by a coroner to be diagnosed with CTE. You'd think that would show up on film.

Why can't CTE be diagnosed while you are alive?

To the three Doctor's on this board...

As they say on Reddit "explain it to me like I'm 5"

With MRI's that show every molecule of your being these days... why do you need to be dead and physically cut open by a coroner to be diagnosed with CTE. You'd think that would show up on film.

Why can't CTE be diagnosed while you are alive?

The protein structures indicative of CTE or Alzheimer's are microscopic, and well below the resolution of an MRI.

The only real way to identify the structures is under a microscope, meaning you have to take a brain sample. I suppose a needle biopsy could be used, but in the absence of being able to treat CTE probably isn't worth the risk.