Does OJ Have CTE?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he did, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

While I love going to Bills games, I am ashamed we have OJ Simpson's name up on the Ring of Honor / Wall of Fame and I think Pegula should take it down. I don't care what he did, he probably killed two people, wrote a book about how if he did, this was how and is serving time for felony kidnapping becomes someone had his sports memorabilia. He is not someone I think this franchise should be associated with. It would be like having Darren Sharper's name on the Ring. I don't care what his on field accomplishments are, there is a point where what you do off the field becomes your legacy and it is not the legacy the future should be associated with.

Edited by mshady

If he did, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

While I love going to Bills games, I am ashamed we have OJ Simpson's name up on the Ring of Honor / Wall of Fame and I think Pegula should take it down. I don't care what he did, he probably killed two people, wrote a book about how if he did, this was how and is serving time for felony kidnapping. He is not someone I think this franchise should be associated with. It would be like having Darren Sharper's name on the Ring. I don't care what his on field accomplishments are, there is a point where what you do off the field becomes your legacy and it is not the legacy the future should be associated with.

Well said!

Has there ever been a fan effort to try and get OJ's name removed from Ralph Wilson stadium? There really should be. With an exasperated sigh, I acknowledge he was great on the field and I know our heroes on the field are not always heroes off the field. It's entertainment and he entertained. That's great, but does anyone talk about him as one of our All Time Greats with friends when we explain why we are Bills fans? Or are we ashamed our team was ever associated with him?

I mean, look at Ray Rice. He won a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens and was one of their all time best running backs I bet. An elite player in the league. He also knocked out his fiance with a haymaker on an elevator. Do you think they are going to put his name on their Wall of Fame? No.

Well, maybe. I mean, Ray Lewis certainly will be. I'd like to think we are a classier team then the Ravens!

Anyways, his reprehensible name will probably stay up there for now. When we get a new stadium, and we will, I don't think he should be included there. I don't want to buy a seat that is overlooked by the name of a felon, an abuser and a murderer (according to a Civil Court ruling, alas..). Playing professional sports for ridiculous money and fame is a privilege. Being remembered long after that is the privilege of privileges. Do we, as fans, think he deserves that?

Edited by mshady

Taking his name of the wall of fame because he was found not guilty for a double homicide long after he left the game, might be a tough sell...not saying I don't agree that it should come down, just saying there will be some push back for sure...

Edited by ricojes

Taking his name of the wall of fame because he was found not guilty for a double homicide long after he left the game, might be a tough sell...not saying I don't agree that it should come down, just saying there will be some push back for sure...

You might get some internet chatter about it being an on field honor but what push back do you expect?

You might get some internet chatter about it being an on field honor but what push back do you expect?

A heck of lot more than internet chatter....It would be headline news, you don't think there are any particular groups that may have an issue with it?

Edited by ricojes

It still bugs me that OJ is underrated in the national media as a running back. Other than Jim Brown, I really don't think there's ever been a back in the league as dangerous with a football in his hands. I hate when people talk about Emmit Smith, AP, or whoever as if they were better than OJ. I remember the joy and excitement we as fans felt when OJ took a handoff. In his prime, OJ was magical as a running back.

But I agree with the rookie about taking his name down. OJ is a murderer and kidnapper. CTE or not, he's not someone we should celebrate. It's disrespect to his victims. And it's not good for our children to see a man like him so honored.

I'm certain that he and his discovery will have a long standing legacy in the world of sports in general and the NFL in particular.

The public yawned. The games played on, with players taking extra care to drill eachother helmet to helmet every week.

No noticeable legacy.

As best as I can tell, OJ Simpson is on the Ring of Honor as a result of what he did on the football field for the Buffalo Bills -- as opposed to what happened in June 1994.

My prediction:

OJ's name will stay on the Ring of Honor at the Ralph.

If the Bills ever move into a new stadium, I suspect that, to the extent that his name is displayed at all, it will not be on a ring of honor or as prominently.

The public yawned. The games played on, with players taking extra care to drill eachother helmet to helmet every week.

No noticeable legacy.

This isn't about the public. It's about current and future concussion lawsuits and how professional sports leagues deal with head trauma by policy. See the current NFL concussion protocol as evidence. Huge Legacy now and moving forward.

This isn't about the public. It's about current and future concussion lawsuits and how professional sports leagues deal with head trauma by policy. See the current NFL concussion protocol as evidence. Huge Legacy now and moving forward.

The concussion policy is a response to the public disclosure of this issue. It does nothing to protect these guys from getting CTE. They all have it, without a doubt, before they get to the NFL. All experts agree that it isn't about known concussions, but the accumulation of thousands of subconcussive blows over many years of playing tackle football.

As far as lawsuits, all contracts will contain language where the player acknowledges all risks to his health and releases the NFL from responsibilities for injuries resulting from the normal play of the game. No expert will ever be able to claim any player suffered CTE solely as a result of NFL play. They would have to admit that it is likely that any player who has played since youth likely developed what will be CTE brain changes before he got the the NFL.

It's all for show. It will be like Big Ben earlier this year. "Ben is on the concussion protocol". "No I'm not, I'm fine." "Oh wait a minute, yes..I am on the concussion protocol."

As best as I can tell, OJ Simpson is on the Ring of Honor as a result of what he did on the football field for the Buffalo Bills -- as opposed to what happened in June 1994.

My prediction:

If the Bills ever move into a new stadium, I suspect that, to the extent that his name is displayed at all, it will not be on a ring of honor or as prominently.

I agree with this. OJ's despicable acts came about 18 years after he carried his last football in a Bills uniform. While it's true we don't want to 'celebrate' a murderer, while he was playing football (and for a long time afterwards) he was a solid citizen.

Simpson's on-field achievements are well documented in the record books and highlight films. He doesn't need to be on the wall. Wall of famers should represent be ambassadors for the franchise; Simpson is an embarrassment to the team. Take his name down and give #32 to the first rookie who requests it in training camp.

If we want to marvel at Simpson's on-field greatness, we have youtube. Other than that, it's time for the team to move on from this scumbag.

I see the point of those who want to take the name off the wall, and it's a valid argument. But, I would keep it up. It is for football accomplishments. It's a good "teaching moment" or whatever you want to call it. There are likely many flawed people on that wall and in the HOF. You can celebrate someone's football accomplishments w/o stating that they are a good person. And I know, "bad person" v. "murderer/psychopath" is different. But we start taking names off the wall of fame, it starts with OJ and then becomes "this guy got a DUI," "this guy allegedly did drugs, etc." and we are taking down everyone except the allegedly "good citizens." It's white-washing of football history. Leave the wall for the great players, and the Walter Payton award for the good players/good citizens.

Who gives a schit?

My prediction:

As much as I hope they remove his name from the ring at the Ralph, my guess is that your prediction will come true.