Whaley: Does not see need for overhaul on D

YoloinOhio

Whaley: Bills S Aaron Williams is 'ready to go,' sees no need for an overhaul on defense

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/26/249700/

@tydunne

Most newsworthy? #Bills S Aaron Williams (neck). He could have played in the playoffs if needed. Whaley says "He's ready to go."

#Bills DT Kyle Williams is also on track. Whaley said he's not sure about the offseason but expects him to return by training camp.

Bills don't see need for 3-4 new starters on D. Whaley: "I dont think we need a major overhaul like we did last year with the offense."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see 2 new starters, if they do indeed sign Bradham like he keeps saying. True NT and pass rusher or MLB. That's not an overhaul but would help a lot. A safety could be taken high as well but not start right away unless he had to (like the Darby pick)

Edited by YoloinOhio

So we are running a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel and we are losing Mario? This should go well

Well, there's guys that can play in a 3-4 on this roster now, and there are guys that aren't ideal.

For example, Dareus will be fine as a 5-tech or a 4i. So too will Corbin Bryant. Jarius Wynn is an ideal backup 5-tech, and Stefan Charles can give you snaps there as well. Preston Brown can play the thumper in a 3-4, but needs someone rangy that can cover next to him. There's a small chance that Ty Powell can do that, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Jerry Hughes is absolutely fine as the Joker, and Manny Lawson can play the Sam (but I'd prefer to see him split snaps there with another pass rusher--Badol suggested a guy like Calvin Pace, who'd be cheap and reliable in that spot)

Problem areas are ILB (as I mentioned above), and NT, where Kyle Williams isn't the ideal fit as a 0-technique. He's more of a 1-tech in a 40 front.

So I can see where Whaley says he doesn't need an overhaul, but I'd like to see a body brought in to rush the passer as a LB and a more traditional 0-technique. A guy like Brandon Mebane, Terrence Knighton, or BJ Raji may come cheap given their age and mileage.

I'd love to see Buffalo make a move for Danny Trevathan if he hits the market.

So would I, but I think he's going to get a big inflated contract in FA a la Dannelle Ellerbe post-Superbowl.

Well, there's guys that can play in a 3-4 on this roster now, and there are guys that aren't ideal.

For example, Dareus will be fine as a 5-tech or a 4i. So too will Corbin Bryant. Jarius Wynn is an ideal backup 5-tech, and Stefan Charles can give you snaps there as well. Preston Brown can play the thumper in a 3-4, but needs someone rangy that can cover next to him. There's a small chance that Ty Powell can do that, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Jerry Hughes is absolutely fine as the Joker, and Manny Lawson can play the Sam (but I'd prefer to see him split snaps there with another pass rusher--Badol suggested a guy like Calvin Pace, who'd be cheap and reliable in that spot)

Problem areas are ILB (as I mentioned above), and NT, where Kyle Williams isn't the ideal fit as a 0-technique. He's more of a 1-tech in a 40 front.

So I can see where Whaley says he doesn't need an overhaul, but I'd like to see a body brought in to rush the passer as a LB and a more traditional 0-technique. A guy like Brandon Mebane, Terrence Knighton, or BJ Raji may come cheap given their age and mileage.

So would I, but I think he's going to get a big inflated contract in FA a la Dannelle Ellerbe post-Superbowl.

I agree with everything. The two positions we need are truly needed for this to work.

i really could see them drafting LB Joshua Perry because he's big, very intelligent, and can play so many different positions including edge rusher. And almost never misses a tackle. Just seems to fit Rex's desire for sound technique and versatility.

Losing Mario? He contributed next to nothing this season and will not be missed.

So before the season, when Rex arrived, if he said we are going to cut Mario and play a 3-4 would you be ok with that? No, you would expect a similar result to what we had this year. We went from leading the league in sacks and top 3 in defense to a complete disaster and it's not getting any better

Edited by kdiggz

So before the season, when Rex arrived, if he said we are going to cut Mario and play a 3-4 would you be ok with that? No, you would expect a similar result to what we had this year. We went from leading the league in sacks and top 3 in defense to a complete disaster and it's not getting any better

What might have happened before last season is irrelevant. Mario had a horrible year and he is not worth paying $19 million if he's going to give us the kind of production he did while also being vocal about his displeasure with what he's being asked to do.

Whaley: Bills S Aaron Williams is 'ready to go,' sees no need for an overhaul on defense

@tydunne

Most newsworthy? #Bills S Aaron Williams (neck). He could have played in the playoffs if needed.

Not needed.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

Who takes Mario's spot?

His spot on the DL or his spot as scapegoat?

Some scrub will take his spot on DL but the new guy can't be the scapegoat. My guess is that this year's scapegoat will be Hughes. Just a guess.

Not needed.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

His spot on the DL or his spot as scapegoat?

Some scrub will take his spot on DL but the new guy can't be the scapegoat. My guess is that this year's scapegoat will be Hughes. Just a guess.

this years scapegoat is very likely to be dareus, and the supposed long in the tooth kyle williams - as our run defense is likely to suffer next year.

Link?