Whaley: Does not see need for overhaul on D

YoloinOhio

i really could see them drafting LB Joshua Perry because he's big, very intelligent, and can play so many different positions including edge rusher. And almost never misses a tackle. Just seems to fit Rex's desire for sound technique and versatility.

I just finished reviewing Perry today, and I'd like him on day 2 as an ILB.

Good call

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley: Bills S Aaron Williams is 'ready to go,' sees no need for an overhaul on defense

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/26/249700/

@tydunne

Most newsworthy? #Bills S Aaron Williams (neck). He could have played in the playoffs if needed. Whaley says "He's ready to go."

#Bills DT Kyle Williams is also on track. Whaley said he's not sure about the offseason but expects him to return by training camp.

Bills don't see need for 3-4 new starters on D. Whaley: "I dont think we need a major overhaul like we did last year with the offense."

Overhaul is a nondescript word, but if he doesn't see needing to get a stud ILB, decent NT and stout thumping SS... Then the d will struggle again mightily in '16.

I just finished reviewing Perry today, and I'd like him on day 2 as an ILB.

Good call

Sweet phone it in to get it on the big board!

Whaley: Bills S Aaron Williams is 'ready to go,' sees no need for an overhaul on defense

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/26/249700/

@tydunne

Most newsworthy? #Bills S Aaron Williams (neck). He could have played in the playoffs if needed. Whaley says "He's ready to go."

#Bills DT Kyle Williams is also on track. Whaley said he's not sure about the offseason but expects him to return by training camp.

Bills don't see need for 3-4 new starters on D. Whaley: "I dont think we need a major overhaul like we did last year with the offense."

ha, yeah right, we need new LBs and DEs

Must mean they're planning to play Kyle Williams at NT and Dareus/Bryant at 5T/4i

Klye at nose wont work, Dareus has to play NT and Kyle at DE

Overhaul is a nondescript word, but if he doesn't see needing to get a stud ILB, decent NT and stout thumping SS... Then the d will struggle again mightily in '16.

Sweet phone it in to get it on the big board!

he described "overhaul" as 3-4 new starters on that side of the ball. Edited by YoloinOhio

Well, there's guys that can play in a 3-4 on this roster now, and there are guys that aren't ideal.

For example, Dareus will be fine as a 5-tech or a 4i. So too will Corbin Bryant. Jarius Wynn is an ideal backup 5-tech, and Stefan Charles can give you snaps there as well. Preston Brown can play the thumper in a 3-4, but needs someone rangy that can cover next to him. There's a small chance that Ty Powell can do that, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Jerry Hughes is absolutely fine as the Joker, and Manny Lawson can play the Sam (but I'd prefer to see him split snaps there with another pass rusher--Badol suggested a guy like Calvin Pace, who'd be cheap and reliable in that spot)

Problem areas are ILB (as I mentioned above), and NT, where Kyle Williams isn't the ideal fit as a 0-technique. He's more of a 1-tech in a 40 front.

So I can see where Whaley says he doesn't need an overhaul, but I'd like to see a body brought in to rush the passer as a LB and a more traditional 0-technique. A guy like Brandon Mebane, Terrence Knighton, or BJ Raji may come cheap given their age and mileage.

So would I, but I think he's going to get a big inflated contract in FA a la Dannelle Ellerbe post-Superbowl.

if nothing else, you win the prize for most NFL defensive terminology in one post.

as a true NT Kyle will get killed, he would need to gain 40Lbs of muscle to do the job, if he did strongman and powerlifting for reps training with high protein/fat diet with moderate carbs MAYBE he could pull it off.

No.

Playing the nose is not about size, that's why guys like Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher have had success at the spot in Wade Phillips' D the last several years (neither crested 300 lbs).

Haloti Ngata never played nose, he played 5T with 300-lb Kelly Gregg playing the nose.

It's not about size; it's about leverage and occupying blockers. It's not his best fit, but he's worlds better there than at DE, where his lack of height and length would make him a massive liability.

if nothing else, you win the prize for most NFL defensive terminology in one post.

Sorry. I swear I wasn't trying to be stuffy

i'm pleased that A. Williams has recovered from his injury, but i question his mental ability to remain focused on his responsibilities.. his frustration against NE took him out of his game well before his injury did, so i'm not convinced he can be penciled in as a starting SS or share a 'robber' role with McKelvin. he's gonna have to work on his recognition skills, but this isn't just on him - it's on the staff.. and this is where i fall off the optimism wagon.

i really think our defense failed to play better because some of our guys lacked the focus to play smart football - and some of our guys were being tasked with executing techniques they weren't familiar with and/or weren't capable of performing well.

.. and now, Rex has once again convinced the GM and ownership that he can coach our existing players into properly executing his defenses in a consistent fashion, regardless of the various deficiencies they've already displayed. all aboard the crazy train.

i'm pleased that A. Williams has recovered from his injury, but i question his mental ability to remain focused on his responsibilities.. his frustration against NE took him out of his game well before his injury did, so i'm not convinced he can be penciled in as a starting SS or share a 'robber' role with McKelvin. he's gonna have to work on his recognition skills, but this isn't just on him - it's on the staff.. and this is where i fall off the optimism wagon.

i really think our defense failed to play better because some of our guys lacked the focus to play smart football - and some of our guys were being tasked with executing techniques they weren't familiar with and/or weren't capable of performing well.

.. and now, Rex has once again convinced the GM and ownership that he can coach our existing players into properly executing his defenses in a consistent fashion, regardless of the various deficiencies they've already displayed. all aboard the crazy train.

That last point is my concern as well

That last point is my concern as well

i'll never fault Ryan for his passionate defense of his players when they fail to execute as planned, but i have to question why he remains blind to where and why his plans break down.

he's steers his shiny new truck toward a cliff, hits the gas, and then seems legitimately surprised when it fails to fly. but hey.. it never gave up tryin..

strange.. :unsure:

But I mean, if they said, "We're gonna need a full defensive overhaul to run Rex's defense," would the reaction here really be any better?

i'd prefer an honest appraisal of which of our current players Rex believes have the physical ability, skills, and mid-set to flesh out his 2016 defenses. follow that up with what types of position players are still needed.

it may be a tough ask.. but if it's necessary, you make changes.. this is the coach you've hitched your wagon to - so at this point, either give him what he needs to build his winning D., or can him.

my problem with all this is.. that Rex has been telling the front office what they wanted to hear since the minute he was interviewed - that he can build a championship team from the existing roster - and that he would deliver a #1 D with the highly priced talent already here. but what he didn't tell them, was that his plan included modifying many of their roles, and conditioning them to react, rather than attack.

i'm not arguing whether that was right or wrong.. rather, i'm disturbed by the fact that he's once again sold them on the idea that he will accomplish that transformation without changing much..

Edited by BackInDaDay