Rex's D

The Big Cat

Haven't seen this posted. Have been quiet the past couple days, so if it's been out there (published on 1/23) please ignore.

I posted it in another thread, but it may actually warrant its own.

RE: Scheme blends and Rex's philosophy vs. Schwartz and where 2015 went wrong defensively:

http://cover1.net/news/2016/1/22/mergedsystems

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard, of course, that Rex tried - and failed - to merge systems.

But I hadn't seen this article before. Thanks for posting. Unlike much of the schlop in the media these days, this was pretty well-reasoned and informative.

I still think it's interesting that Schwartz could get good productivity from these players and Rex couldn't. No matter how you slice and dice it, this year's disappointment is all on Rex.

While the article does make me a bit more optimistic about 2016, I'm a long time snake-bitten Bills fan and perpetually in the I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT mode these days.

I've heard, of course, that Rex tried - and failed - to merge systems.

But I hadn't seen this article before. Thanks for posting. Unlike much of the schlop in the media these days, this was pretty well-reasoned and informative.

I still think it's interesting that Schwartz could get good productivity from these players and Rex couldn't. No matter how you slice and dice it, this year's disappointment is all on Rex.

While the article does make me a bit more optimistic about 2016, I'm a long time snake-bitten Bills fan and perpetually in the I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT mode these days.

Key summary sentence:

"Hopefully for Bills fans, Rex can get the right guys for his system."

If only there was something they could show you....like something disgusting and slimy and shouldn't be allowed outside of sealed room for like 18 years

The article is interesting but what it proves is that yet again in last week's press conference he can't help let his bravado get the better of him.

If he had claimed that what he did in the first game was try to merge two systems unsuccessfully, which is in fact what the article proves he did, and then in the 2nd game he ran his own defense that would have been fair and accurate. What in fact he did say was he ran "nothing but last year's defense."

That is patently nonsense. That is not to say Schwartz's scheme was perfect against New England either it shut them down most of the first half in 2014 and they came out 2nd half gave up totally on the run and went to the ball out quick short passing game and killed us and we couldn't cover Gronk.

The article is interesting but what it proves is that yet again in last week's press conference he can't help let his bravado get the better of him.

If he had claimed that what he did in the first game was try to merge two systems unsuccessfully, which is in fact what the article proves he did, and then in the 2nd game he ran his own defense that would have been fair and accurate. What in fact he did say was he ran "nothing but last year's defense."

When did he say that?

Why would you run Schwartz D against Brady - it was not effective at all

I agree as a big Schwartz fan. And I actually think Rex's defense can be effective against Brady. But for him to try and palm all the blame for the first Pats game this year on the previous staff who let's be frank never had Dareus dropping on slot guys or Hughes covering Gronk down the sideline strikes me as a man trying to shift responsibility.

Key summary sentence:

"Hopefully for Bills fans, Rex can get the right guys for his system."

If you have a lousy defense, that sentence would be an optimistic one for fans. When you have a great defense, it just means you have hired the wrong coach...it is much easier to replace an ill-suited coach than to rip apart and rebuild the entire defense.

We don't have the cap room to get players to fit the system and we're losing a very good pass rusher and probably Bradham. I think the defense could get better if the Ryan's implement their system and with a few low level signings - but we won't confuse better with the 2014 defense. I think the only chance this team breaks through is if the offense plays significantly better.

Look, I don't like Rex as a person. His personality annoys me and I think he's a poor head coach. However, pretending his defenses have sucked doesn't help those of us saying that he's unable to be the top guy on a team.

i agree. I neither like or dislike his personality. I don't really take anything he says to the media seriously so I don't get bent out of shape about that stuff. I thought he was a clown in NJ and still do. It doesn't really bother me though. It's just who he is. I don't think it impacts the w-l column. There are things I like about him as a coach and things I don't. I just call it like I see it, it's my own opinion. I don't have an agenda that skews the way I see things because I don't dislike everything he does, and I also don't like everything he does. That said some of the takes people have about his defenses really confuse me. Edited by YoloinOhio