Rex's D

The Big Cat

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Rex game planned better and executed at games that were more important to him. Not sure how or why or just a coincidence? A possibility could be he spent weeks of preparation for certain games and thusly didn't do much for the surrounding weeks on the schedule. Also, most were division games (although two were new coaching staffs) maybe he just knows the personnel on the division games better? But, as I have mentioned before I don't think he game plans and works as hard as he needs to to be an above average coach.

Manther, I noticed that too - our preparation seemed uneven. I had thought that about Chan Gailey as well, that after a longer break you could count on a win, he just seemed to need longer than a week to prepare. People who claim knowledge say Rex works hard indeed. Whatever he does, the bottom line seems to be it doesn't always seem to be enough preparation, then there are those frustrating games, as you say, where the preparation was excellent and we seemed sharp. I hope he figures out what worked those weeks and is able to do it all the time next year.

Article about Wade includes this...

“I don’t understand the people that say, ‘Hey, this is our scheme, and that guy can’t play in it. The guy can play, he’s a good player, but he can’t play in our scheme,' " Phillips said.

“Well, to me. There’s something wrong with your scheme.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/02/03/wade-phillips-has-fond-memories-buffalo/79786542/

And yet, one of the things players say is so hard about Rex's "scheme" is that it changes weekly to fit the new opponent.

I've never heard anyone say this about Rex's D. The complaints from players were so many possible different individual option/responsibilities from the same set that make it hard (impossible in some cases) for everyone to be on the same page, including last minute substitutions and changes in assignments just before the snap. This is why it has been exposed by fast-paced offenses as not being an effective scheme.

I still feel that if the right players are inserted this defense could make a comeback

Wow! From what we had prior to Rex, to now needing the "right" players to make a "comeback. Hope it works out. Not for Rex' sake, but for us Bills fans.

I've never heard anyone say this about Rex's D. The complaints from players were so many possible different individual option/responsibilities from the same set that make it hard (impossible in some cases) for everyone to be on the same page, including last minute substitutions and changes in assignments just before the snap. This is why it has been exposed by fast-paced offenses as not being an effective scheme.

You're either calling me a liar or pleading ignorance. Either way, nothing you've cited here refutes the fact that Rex's scheme changes week to week.

Interesting. It was easy to spot this kind of thing happening at times.

Article about Wade includes this...

“I don’t understand the people that say, ‘Hey, this is our scheme, and that guy can’t play in it. The guy can play, he’s a good player, but he can’t play in our scheme,' " Phillips said.

“Well, to me. There’s something wrong with your scheme.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/02/03/wade-phillips-has-fond-memories-buffalo/79786542/

Thanks for posting that.

Looking at series of tweets about Schwartz's D in buffalo that i assume this guy is doing for Philly fans and the first one I see has Kyle dropping in coverage :lol:

@fduffy3

Shot 17 - Schwartz gets creative with zone pressure looks, LB gets the sack off a 4-man rush with DT Williams' drop

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/697902096734121984

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rex had a D? The players apparently couldn't figure it out. Any 'genius" can come up with a scheme that's pretty impressive in it's complexity. The question is whether it works or not, not how impressive it is. Schwartz had a defense that worked; Ryan has a defense that apparently few of his players can figure out and thus it doesn't work. Yes, you can say "you need the right players for my scheme," which obviously the Bills didn't have. I'd rather say "if It's not broken don't fix it." But Ryan didn't hear me or many others. So that's why our perfectly un-broke defense dropped like a rock. "Good" work Rex.

• 2 weeks later...