East Coast Residents: Bunch of pansies

Every friend I had who was a paperboy hated collecting the most. I didn't get it, because that is when you got paid.

Did you have a Bills sticker or something. Then he'd understand.

First, it took 3 times as long to do your route that day. But mostly it was because you had the douchebags who were either never home or claimed they didn't have any money and you had to ring the bell chasing them for it every day. I had people who would run up a tab of 7 weeks. Then some would have the balls to challenge me on it. And this is when the paper was like $2.00/week. I didn't realize at the time how much of an a--hole you needed to be to attempt to stiff a 12 year old paperboy out of a couple bucks after you hadn't paid him for two months.

But it was a great way to learn business. I had to pay the dude who dropped off the papers every week so had to manage the accounts.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, it took 3 times as long to do your route that day. But mostly it was because you had the douchebags who were either never home or claimed they didn't have any money and you had to ring the bell chasing them for it every day. I had people who would run up a tab of 7 weeks. Then some would have the balls to challenge me on it. And this is when the paper was like $2.00/week. I didn't realize at the time how much of an a--hole you needed to be to attempt to stiff a 12 year old paperboy out of a couple bucks after you hadn't paid him for two months.

But it was a great way to learn business. I had to pay the dude who dropped off the papers every week so had to manage the accounts.

Spot on.

The only difference for me was that I couldn't collect as I delivered in the morning, I had to make the rounds again, in the evening. Chasing people down for $1.15, or something. And it could take a while. "All I have is a dollar, and a quarter...let me find a dime and a nickel..." 10 minutes later "here you go, thanks for waiting". This is not an exaggeration.

And like you said, looking back now at people giving a 12 year old a hard time...WTF!

I didn't know any better.

Edited by HoF Watkins

That definitely is a high level of ahole!

Farmer, right Boyst?

That's self employment... a paperboy is beholden to a company, and all the customers directly, that day.

I bet MOST farmers had a few days a year where someone else in the family could take care of a chore that needed to be done every day. But go ahead and one up me...

Edited by HoF Watkins

I had 3 paper routes in middle school. I would deliver the journal courier and hartford courant before school, and the new haven register after. I never minded collecting. Most people paid with envelopes in mail box. And people were quite generous. Especially around Christmas.

I had 3 paper routes in middle school. I would deliver the journal courier and hartford courant before school, and the new haven register after. I never minded collecting. Most people paid with envelopes in mail box. And people were quite generous. Especially around Christmas.

People were generally nice. I think the job can vary from zip code to zip code, too.

Every friend I had who was a paperboy hated collecting the most. I didn't get it, because that is when you got paid.

Did you have a Bills sticker or something. Then he'd understand.

you know what, i do. it's the old standing buffalo on the lower left side on the back of my grand cherokee.

Farmer, right Boyst?

affirmative.

That's self employment... a paperboy is beholden to a company, and all the customers directly, that day.

I bet MOST farmers had a few days a year where someone else in the family could take care of a chore that needed to be done every day. But go ahead and one up me...

i was a paper boy. i got days off. all paper boys did. i worked for the toledo blade. maybe it was just more of a 90's thing but if i had a busy week, if i did not have time, i could arrange for the deliveries to be made by someone who headed the district i was in or have it temporarily reassigned to one of the other carriers in the nearby area. they would come and deliver - and if it was like it often was - they'd get a driver to just go throwing them out of a car or truck.

Yeah, JBoyst obviously needs more free time...

who's jboyst?

Just got stuck in my driveway, S of Richmond VA. Trying to get to work at the airport when there are no planes within 300 miles of us. The snow is over the bumper of my SUV. This stuff is heavy/wet "heart attack snow", and laughs at 4WD. Don't know how this news will go with the boss but lucky to be retiring next week, so it is what it is!

you know what, i do. it's the old standing buffalo on the lower left side on the back of my grand cherokee.

affirmative.

i was a paper boy. i got days off. all paper boys did. i worked for the toledo blade. maybe it was just more of a 90's thing but if i had a busy week, if i did not have time, i could arrange for the deliveries to be made by someone who headed the district i was in or have it temporarily reassigned to one of the other carriers in the nearby area. they would come and deliver - and if it was like it often was - they'd get a driver to just go throwing them out of a car or truck.

who's jboyst?

If you were going on vacation, you could ask them to have a temporary fill-in. Some people had friends that they would teach the route, but mine was in the morning, so if I was sick, it would be hard to get anyone at 6:30 in the morning anyway. My brother did do my route a handful of times in the 3 years I had the route.

I think by the 90's, there were adults delivering papers..

Edited by HoF Watkins

Just got stuck in my driveway, S of Richmond VA. Trying to get to work at the airport when there are no planes within 300 miles of us. The snow is over the bumper of my SUV. This stuff is heavy/wet "heart attack snow", and laughs at 4WD. Don't know how this news will go with the boss but lucky to be retiring next week, so it is what it is!

congrats on your retirement. Be safe.

If you were going on vacation, you could ask them to have a temporary fill-in. Some people had friends that they would teach the route, but mine was in the morning, so if I was sick, it would be hard to get anyone at 6:30 in the morning anyway. My brother did do my route a handful of times in the 3 years I had the route.

I think by the 90's, there were adults delivering papers..

I was awake at 515 for mine which had to be delivered by 7. School by 730. I was in 4th grade. Aka 17

I am far west end of Henrico and think we were at about 18 inches. Only time I think my kid really likes me is during snowstorms. Me and another dad towing them behind the car last two days on sleds, they had a riot. Moms was not happy, but that's okay.

Only thing truely pissing me off the new guys again... Just said for you older folks over 45 take it easy shoveling...what ???? Wtf does that make me 52! Hmmph, I will show them, I will shovel all day and my kid won't have to help, that' ll show em!

I am far west end of Henrico and think we were at about 18 inches. Only time I think my kid really likes me is during snowstorms. Me and another dad towing them behind the car last two days on sleds, they had a riot. Moms was not happy, but that's okay.

Thx, that brings me back to something I used to do...snow skitching. For those unfamiliar http://skiernet.com/skitching.php

or google it for videos. My favorite recollections are when a driver knew I was on & sped up. Then my boots would hit a dry patch in the road & I would fall off & tumble and bounce on the road for a good while. Nucking futs but what a great time.

Edited by Mr Info

Thx, that brings me back to something I used to do...snow skitching. For those unfamiliar http://skiernet.com/skitching.php

or google it for videos. My favorite recollections are when a driver knew I was on & sped up. Then my boots would hit a dry patch in the road & I would fall off & tumble and bounce on the road for a good while. Nucking futs but what a great time.

Skitching? We called it pogying. I remember letting go of my friends bumper and trying to run at the speed he was going. I fell, tumbled and bounced like you did. I asked him how fast he was going when I let go. He said 30. LOL!

Skitching? We called it pogying. I remember letting go of my friends bumper and trying to run at the speed he was going. I fell, tumbled and bounced like you did. I asked him how fast he was going when I let go. He said 30. LOL!

Yep, same here. Called it pogying.