This offseason...Whaley's last move to get over the hump

Billsfed

Doug has a dream job this spring/summer. Think of all the options and potential moves this man can make

I think somewhere in there...you'll see a surprise move, not so much in the way of a releasing but more in somebody willing to take a big cut to stay on the Bills.

Over the years Whaley has transformed this team into an up-and-comer. Now you have owners who treat the players very well and that word spreads quickly.

Doug has a good image and vibe to fall back on. Remember the days when nobody wanted to come here?? I'm willing to bet if Mario doesn't take a serious reduction in pay there will be 5 or 6 capable vets waiting at the door.

I still to this day can't get over folks who were hurt over the fred jackson thing. The guy was 34 years old...didn't contribute in any significant way to the team he went to and that's now a position of strength for the Bills.

The man knows what he's doing. Others like spiller, kiko and byrd were also excellent moves in terms of letting them go with their inflated salaries.

This offseason has to be the final touch in getting this team over the hump and back into the playoffs. And not just for a year or two, but many years. He's built up a nice core, I'm really hoping he just resigns the current talent that deserves it and makes a few moves in the draft to acquire more picks and further build the talent pool.

There will likely be two big name additions in FA as well

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug has a dream job this spring/summer. Think of all the options and potential moves this man can make

I think somewhere in there...you'll see a surprise move, not so much in the way of a releasing but more in somebody willing to take a big cut to stay on the Bills.

Over the years Whaley has transformed this team into an up-and-comer. Now you have owners who treat the players very well and that word spreads quickly.

Doug has a good image and vibe to fall back on. Remember the days when nobody wanted to come here?? I'm willing to bet if Mario doesn't take a serious reduction in pay there will be 5 or 6 capable vets waiting at the door.

I still to this day can't get over folks who were hurt over the fred jackson thing. The guy was 34 years old...didn't contribute in any significant way to the team he went to and that's now a position of strength for the Bills.

The man knows what he's doing. Others like spiller, kiko and byrd were also excellent moves in terms of letting them go with their inflated salaries.

This offseason has to be the final touch in getting this team over the hump and back into the playoffs. And not just for a year or two, but many years. He's built up a nice core, I'm really hoping he just resigns the current talent that deserves it and makes a few moves in the draft to acquire more picks and further build the talent pool.

Not likely at all given the desire to retain Glenn and Incognito.

We tried to re-sign both Spiller and Byrd.

sure did, but at a fair cost. Glenn and Richie will be offered fair deals but nothing crazy. If they ask for something outrageous, they'll see the door like those two did

My guess is McKelvin and Kyle both take a decent cut to stay, Mario bolts. With that added space a big physical linebacker will be added

sure did, but at a fair cost. Glenn and Richie will be offered fair deals but nothing crazy. If they ask for something outrageous, they'll see the door like those two did

My guess is McKelvin and Kyle both take a decent cut to stay, Mario bolts. With that added space a big physical linebacker will be added

he did offer Spiller a new contract, but pulled it when they traded for McCoy. He called Spiller, told him about the trade, and then told him the offer from the Bills was no longer on the table.

He had a value placed on Byrd which apparently didn't match the one he had on himself, or the Saints had on him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Mario is 31 and did not contribute in any significant way to the team this year.

Not what sort of "vibe" gets out there when defensive veterans are publicly complaining about the D scheme/coaching.

Mario is 31 and did not contribute in any significant way to the team this year.

Not what sort of "vibe" gets out there when defensive veterans are publicly complaining about the D scheme/coaching.

And the best receiver we've had in twenty years involves his agent and goes public with his frustration, in a failed attempt to get targeted appropriately.

This is not true. Still a solid player & great blocker. Watch some of our new backs trying to pick up a blitz. We could have used his leadership this year also.

I have no big issues with his moves. I am not sure the move up in the draft for Watkins was a good move. That is not a knock on Watkins who is a legit #1 guy, but there were multiple #1 wideouts available to the Bills if they stayed where they were.

Tough to say what moves we make this offseason, but I hope retaining some of our own and cutting Mario are near the top of the list.

I trust in DW. If Tyrod can ball hard next season it will be easier to see how well Whaley has built this team.

Need safety depth. I have a feeling Ed Reed will be a good coach and a great recruiter.

Need help on the right side of OL obviously.

LB depth.

ALSO SPECIAL TEAMS! I hope Easley is recovering well. Does anybody have an update there?

FUN FACT: Did you know that Marcus Easley is the first-ever Connecticut Husky wide receiver to be drafted in the National Football League?

Go Broncos!

he did offer Spiller a new contract, but pulled it when they traded for McCoy. He called Spiller, told him about the trade, and then told him the offer from the Bills was no longer on the table.

He had a value placed on Byrd which apparently didn't match the one he had on himself, or the Saints had on him.

I thought we offered the same thing the Saints did and Byrd just wanted to leave.

Why do people expect expensive additions when Whaley has plainly said this offseason will be about resigning our own players?

Do they think he is lying?

I expect

Glenn and Cog to be resigned

Either a "b" list free agent RT or a high draft pick RT

We will probably sign a true nose.....and they are not that expensive

There will probably be a lot of reworking of current player contracts.......like Clay

Mario will be gone.....and we will probably use a high draft pick to replace him.

Edited by John from Hemet

I like Whaley. No one hits on all moves, but it's important to have vision, and hit more than you miss. He's had many hits and some misses. Most likely most of these guys are resigned, and the critical key to success is he has to hit like last year.

We all questioned the draft, but Darby was a homerun, and lock CB's are expensive so we get him on the cheap for four years. Miller was injured but did well for the first 2/3 of the year, and I love Karlos Williams. RB's get hurt, but he was a fantastic compliment to Shady.

We need another draft of three to four starters.