Bills hire first full time female assistant coach

Peter

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha - please note that I was responding to a post that wondered if any fans would actually not buy season tickets because of this hiring. Which I think was in response to someone saying (joking) that this was Russ PR to sell tickets. I said that only that type of fan would let the hire of a female coach impact whether they buy season tickets. I wasn't referring to anyone here. Obviously.

I'm sticking by my earlier claim. :pirate: We are Football Fans. We are All "Knuckle Dragging Mouth Breathers" :flirt:

Although Holy Smokes some of the responses here. Bullies and Zombies and Trolls, OH MY! (said Wizard of Oz style)

And I am sorry to see that things have gotten so bad that you have to take solace in the fact that the Bills hired a woman Special Teams quality control coach. What does that even mean? Why is a Special Teams quality control coach even do? Do you think that her hire will get us to the playoffs next year?

Hope you enjoy the solace and smell of pine in winter..

And I am sorry to see that things have gotten so bad that you have to take solace in the fact that the Bills hired a woman Special Teams quality control coach. What does that even mean? Why is a Special Teams quality control coach even do? Do you think that her hire will get us to the playoffs next year?

It probably means "keeping special teams players from making obvious, dumbass mistakes."

Given all the obvious, dumbass mistakes we saw this past season...yeah, it might.

Can we please quit with the name calling? Bullying? White Knights? Slanderous? Gang? Zombies? Please.

I don't consider "white knights" name calling exactly. I realize it is in a literal sense, but it's really a substantive description of what's going on. It's shorthand for stating that the response is disproportionate to what it's addressing and in such a way that indicates the speaker is attempting to assume a heroic, or at least chivalrous role. It's not like calling someone a moron or a penis head. It conveys a precise message with far fewer words.

Based on the news articles (some good ones at syracuse.com) it seems as though this position is largely focused on film study, and recording observations and statistics.

Does it matter if the person watching the film is male or female? Does it matter if the person has on-field experience? I don't think so. I bet many people on this forum think we could do that, and many of us have very little recent on-field experience.

I believe that one reason why some teams are better than others has a lot to do with people in positions such as this. I'm sure that many players study film for hours on their own time, but I could be easily convinced that many other players do not. If a person can edit the film so that some specific observations can be made easier for players to grasp, then those players will be better prepared in the game. If somebody can point out that certain players, either on the Bills or on the opposing team, have tendencies that can be used against them, then that person is valuable to the team. If the coaching staff believes that this person is well suited for that responsibility and may be an upgrade compared to people with this job in the past, then as fans we should just hope the coaches are right and move along.

The only way we will know if this is a good promotion is to see how the team does in the future, and even then it will be difficult to assign credit or blame to a low level assistant. Rex is known as a person who is loyal to his friends, so he will not remove her from this position unless something happens that forces his hand, which I would doubt.

I don't consider "white knights" name calling exactly. I realize it is in a literal sense, but it's really a substantive description of what's going on. It's shorthand for stating that the response is disproportionate to what it's addressing and in such a way that indicates the speaker is attempting to assume a heroic, or at least chivalrous role. It's not like calling someone a moron or a penis head. It conveys a precise message with far fewer words.

I guess those calling him a troll for simply expressing his opinion on Rex's off season modus operendi are not name calling.

Based on the news articles (some good ones at syracuse.com) it seems as though this position is largely focused on film study, and recording observations and statistics.

Does it matter if the person watching the film is male or female? Does it matter if the person has on-field experience? I don't think so. I bet many people on this forum think we could do that, and many of us have very little recent on-field experience.

I believe that one reason why some teams are better than others has a lot to do with people in positions such as this. I'm sure that many players study film for hours on their own time, but I could be easily convinced that many other players do not. If a person can edit the film so that some specific observations can be made easier for players to grasp, then those players will be better prepared in the game. If somebody can point out that certain players, either on the Bills or on the opposing team, have tendencies that can be used against them, then that person is valuable to the team. If the coaching staff believes that this person is well suited for that responsibility and may be an upgrade compared to people with this job in the past, then as fans we should just hope the coaches are right and move along.

The only way we will know if this is a good promotion is to see how the team does in the future, and even then it will be difficult to assign credit or blame to a low level assistant. Rex is known as a person who is loyal to his friends, so he will not remove her from this position unless something happens that forces his hand, which I would doubt.

Do other teams call this person a coach though? She will be assisting Crossman's assistant. Why don't they call him a coach, or do they?

Do other teams call this person a coach though? She will be assisting Crossman's assistant. Why don't they call him a coach, or do they?

They do. And as far as I'm aware, quality control assistants are universally considered part of the coaching staff.

They do. And as far as I'm aware, quality control assistants are universally considered part of the coaching staff.

Fair enough. I think the popular understanding of the term may be what's allowing the significance of this hire to expand well beyond what it actually is.

Fair enough. I think the popular understanding of the term may be what's allowing the significance of this hire to expand well beyond what it actually is.

It's not much in and of itself, but it's a foot in the door. Other coaches in the past have gotten their start in a quality control role (Mike Pettine, for one).

To the two yearning for better quality control here I'd recommend applying for the job.

One of you at least opened a report on the posts in this thread & we thank you for that. One of us saw it and reacted.

I've said it a thousand times and I guess I have to say it again...we do not, we can not, view every post in every thread. Use the report button to alert us. Believe it or not we do have day jobs.

Now, please stick to the topic and trust me when I say that we've seen enough foot jokes to last a lifetime.

The Bills hired an assistant coach to the assistant coach. Here's hoping she's successful.

I guess those calling him a troll for simply expressing his opinion on Rex's off season modus operendi are not name calling.

I'd say it depends on what he's trying to convey. "Troll" has a fairly specific meaning when used properly, but is often used to simply mean someone who said something you don't like.

Other teams call their quality control assistants coaches, yes. Crossman's assistant is a coach, yes.

If you're interested here is a pretty good link discussing the role of QC assistant coach and how many HC have come up through the ranks starting as QC assistant