Bills hire first full time female assistant coach

Peter

A. Never said I was against the hire and if that is what you want to believe it is on you.

B. My point was it is typical Rex to own the off season news stories and the fact this was a story on NBC Nightly news last night puts an exlamation point on it.

C. I am against the bullies on these boards like Yolo and his gang memebers who continually attack those calling them trolls when they don't tow the company line. This is a forum for expressing opinions positive or negative.

i am neither a "bully" nor a "gang" leader - sheesh - and have actually never called anyone a "troll"...

You sound very bitter about this employee's promotion (because the media is covering it I guess?) but it really has nothing to do with Rex as much as it seems you think it does. Let it go. It is about Smith. She has 14 years of experience in th NFL and appears she has earned it - the fact it is historical is why it is being covered.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trolls?! I strongly dislike how there are groups on this board who think they are better than others. Yes, I believe there are trolls and some are so annoying. But, by sharing ones opinion even if negative isn't trolling. Just because you don't like it. Sorry, if you dont like Rex you can question his choices. You say Rex chooses his coaches, but, also suggest he shouldn't be bashed for who he chooses. Talking out of two sides of your mouth, then critiquing others for their opinion?

Show me where I suggested he shouldn't be bashed for who he chooses. All I pointed out was the fact that the reason this was made a bigger story is because she is a female. I stated from the beginning that it's nothing more than a personnel move. The firing of one coach and the hiring of another. I've never suggested Rex is above reproach for any of his decisions.

i am neither a "bully" nor a "gang" leader - sheesh - and have actually never called anyone a "troll"...

You sound very bitter about this employee's promotion (because the media is covering it I guess?) but it really has nothing to do with Rex as much as it seems you think it does. Let it go. It is about Smith. She has 14 years of experience in th NFL and appears she has earned it - the fact it is historical is why it is being covered.

Your actions and I am not the first to point out most certainly are bullying. Just cause you don't want to admit that is what you are doesn't mean it isn't happening.Your attempt to spin this into someone being a misogynist as an attempt to rally support from the white knights is lame. As a matter of fact you implying such is outright slanderous. Fair warning you should cease to continue down that path.

Edited by jms62

Your actions and I am not the first to point out most certainly are bullying. Just cause you don't want to admit that is what you are doesn't mean it isn't happening.Your attempt to spin this into someone being a misogynist as an attempt to rally support from the white knights is lame. As a matter of fact you implying such is outright slanderous. Fair warning you should cease to continue down that path?

Are you really threatening someone on a message board for slander? first time I've seen that

Your actions and I am not the first to point out most certainly are bullying. Just cause you don't want to admit that is what you are doesn't mean it isn't happening.Your attempt to spin this into someone being a misogynist as an attempt to rally support from the white knights is lame. As a matter of fact you implying such is outright slanderous. Fair warning you should cease to continue down that path.

i have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

I don't even know what the word misogynist means so I've certainly never used it. :lol:

With the inclusion of this move as well as the addition of Rex's brother, I am gladly waiting for the NFL to pick up the phone, call the Bills and say, "Screw whatever you want. You ARE the next team on Hard Knocks. Deal with it."

I can't even remotely imagine that there is a more interesting team out there to focus in on.

I don't care if this is ground breaking from a social point of view. ALL I care about is if she can do the job well....if so, I am a supporter. If they are taking a discount in coaching ability to do this as a P/R thing, I am PO'd, as I am a fan for the football...at the highest quality possible.

These two things in a nutshell sum up her hiring. There was very little fanfare in the media after her initial hiring, until someone realized she was a woman. Then the Bills scrambled to do a presser because they realized that this was a big deal. If this was a guy, the media wouldn't have cared and there would be no press release. Business as usual. But this is ground breaking. Still, at least for me, it takes away ZERO from Manning v. Brady or what the Panthers and Cardinals have been able to do this season. Football plays on.

Not to butt in here, but this is really being overplayed from a "historical" point of view. Any time you have to qualify a "first" with multiple adjectives, it's a sign of a slow news day. Kathryn Smith is not the NFL's first female assistant coach. That was Jen Welter who interned as assistant ILB coach with the Cards last summer, earning high praise from players and Arians. So Smith needs the qualifying adjectives "full time" to be historical. She's the league's first full time female assistant coach.

Other than that, as far as I can tell you are right this was not "played up" by Rex or the Bills as any kind of PR, since they didn't have any kind of press release or media coverage about it in advance, just a little one liner. I agree, only after the press (on a slow news day) added their adjectives and decided it was history, did it start to become a story. I think the Bills were actually caught off-guard.

Jen Welter was actually kind of a big deal because she was actually hired to coach technique, having played football as a linebacker herself for 14 years including in a men's indoor league (and she's tiny!). Arians is on record as saying he would give her the highest recommendation to anyone looking for an assistant coach, and there were reportedly no problems with players.

Kathryn Smith is being hired as a QC coach, which means her job is to study film, break down opponent's tendencies statistically by down and distance, prepare reports for the coordinator and HC, and (depending upon the team's R&R) after games, break down the team's performance privately for the coordinator (was the right play called for each situation?) and publicly for the team (execution of each player on each play). She may also be doing some actual coaching of the SCOUT team, using her film knowledge to help them give the starters the right "look" to simulate the opponent in practice.

I think the person who has the most right to be nervous about this is Crossman. Smith was Rex Ryan's assistant last year, and were I Crossman, I would assume this means Rex wants the eyes and ears of someone Rex personally trusts on him as a coach, rather than leaving it to Crossman to hire his own QC assistant.

Edited by Hopeful

Awesome to see women make some inroads into the NFL these past couple years.

My understanding is that QC coaches don't usually work with the players on technique. Instead they work with statistics and video to prepare for future opponents.

It's an entry level coaching position that often leads to a job as a position coach.

It'll be interesting to see how far she goes in the years ahead.

This is exactly correct. The major "work with players" would be with the scout team, and then not on technique but in "this is the look their D gives the opponent before the snap" kind of prep.

Can we please quit with the name calling? Bullying? White Knights? Slanderous? Gang? Zombies? Please.

Don't you think it's a little ironic to chide someone else that this is a place where people express their opinions, when someone evidently can't express theirs in response without drawing a cross between a legal cease-and-desist letter and a "mean girls" response tweet in return?

If you want to express your opinion, Great! Express it - don't fling around insults or name call or huff about slander. It doesn't make you more credible.

This site needs a good Quality Control Coach of either gender.

Indeed!

Special Teams help DESP. needed. Hopefully replaces Crossman. She has been in the business for years. A qualified hire unlike the "grandstanding" hires made in some other circles.

What do you see as a "grandstanding" hire in other circles? Just curious. PM me if you don't feel it's worth getting into it here.

The only negative aspect of this promotion is Rex's confirmation in his statement that Danny Crossman is still around.

I can go with this.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Crossman's problems were restricted to his (fired) QC assistant coach and I don't think giving him a replacement QC assistant who reported directly to Rex last year will fix them. I'd like to be wrong, of course.

I don't agree with the folks who see this as a PR move or attempt to "win the offseason" (I think the press interest legitimately caught the Bills by surprise). It's just not the real, substantive change I'd have liked to see this off season.

Wait, I thought all football fans were by definition "knuckle dragging mouth breathers"? :nana:

(maybe that's just what my mother believes)

haha - please note that I was responding to a post that wondered if any fans would actually not buy season tickets because of this hiring. Which I think was in response to someone saying (joking) that this was Russ PR to sell tickets. I said that only that type of fan would let the hire of a female coach impact whether they buy season tickets. I wasn't referring to anyone here. Obviously. Edited by YoloinOhio