Bills hire first full time female assistant coach

Peter

Based on the news articles (some good ones at syracuse.com) it seems as though this position is largely focused on film study, and recording observations and statistics.

Does it matter if the person watching the film is male or female? Does it matter if the person has on-field experience? I don't think so. I bet many people on this forum think we could do that, and many of us have very little recent on-field experience.

I believe that one reason why some teams are better than others has a lot to do with people in positions such as this. I'm sure that many players study film for hours on their own time, but I could be easily convinced that many other players do not. If a person can edit the film so that some specific observations can be made easier for players to grasp, then those players will be better prepared in the game. If somebody can point out that certain players, either on the Bills or on the opposing team, have tendencies that can be used against them, then that person is valuable to the team. If the coaching staff believes that this person is well suited for that responsibility and may be an upgrade compared to people with this job in the past, then as fans we should just hope the coaches are right and move along.

The only way we will know if this is a good promotion is to see how the team does in the future, and even then it will be difficult to assign credit or blame to a low level assistant. Rex is known as a person who is loyal to his friends, so he will not remove her from this position unless something happens that forces his hand, which I would doubt.

Excellent post!

Besides that, somebody needs to get Crossman straightened out ( only half sarcastic).

I have no doubt Rex is taking this offseason as seriously as any one could imagine. He did not bring his brother in just to open beers while he drives.

Although i was not in the room. i would bet Pegulas said. " Do whatever you need to do, but you better get it right this time "

So any rearranging he is doing is with winning in mind. And continuity with communication within the Staff is key to that. imho

These low level hires where we know nothing about the person and only vaguely about the job duties they'll handle always make for a good way to tell posters baseline attitude they are going to look at the team with

A bit of self study ain't it ?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many coaches have never played the game? According to Cleaeland (*^*&%^$^#the players will not respect her because she never played football but doesn't that apply to coaches who never played football? Do they have to have played professional football and at what level?

Why should players care what media people say who have never played for that matter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kiley_%28sportscaster%29

Kiley claims he played college football at the University of Wyoming, and professionally with the NFL's New York Jets, and then with the World Football League's Chicago Fire. According to Pro-Football-Reference.com this is no record of him ever appearing for the Jets and his one contribution to the Chicago Fire is a single kick return for 13 yards. The University of Wyoming's football media guide does not list him among their all-time lettermen.

Is a kicker a football player? :wallbash:

He's an ass of epic proportions.

The ironic thing is that the focus of Kiley's rant was that "Women are intellectual, smarter, more clever. They're intellectual beings," he said. "They have to be in order to overcome the physical advantage of men. Football is about physical advantage."

Except that QC coaching is all about being a "student of the game", someone who can watch opponent film and draw up the plays they used, analyze their tendencies in different circumstances, and so on. The right person for the job is smart, clever, detail-oriented to the point of being obsessive, and very hard working. Nothing in what a QC coach does is about physical advantage.

Ironic, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

The ironic thing is that the focus of Kiley's rant was that "Women are intellectual, smarter, more clever. They're intellectual beings," he said. "They have to be in order to overcome the physical advantage of men. Football is about physical advantage."

Except that QC coaching is all about being a "student of the game", someone who can watch opponent film and draw up the plays they used, analyze their tendencies in different circumstances, and so on. The right person for the job is smart, clever, detail-oriented to the point of being obsessive, and very hard working. Nothing in what a QC coach does is about physical advantage.

Ironic, eh?

Aaand he is resigning. Censorship! We're not gonna take it!

http://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2016/02/11/video-kevin-kiley-announces-resignation-from-923-the-fan

He seemed like an ass. But everytime i see someone resign or fired for saying an ignorant comment, I get scared for what it means in the future

I am a little back and forth on this. I am all for freedom of speech and at the same time I can see a company and sponsors not wanting this guy representing them.

I am a little back and forth on this. I am all for freedom of speech and at the same time I can see a company and sponsors not wanting this guy representing them.

Howard Stern was initially thought of in the same light...that you wouldn't be able to get sponsors for this programming. The radio station has every right to fire someone if they think they're going to lose ad money, but time has proven that they're wrong, you can always find sponsors if the voice has an audience.

Howard Stern was initially thought of in the same light...that you wouldn't be able to get sponsors for this programming. The radio station has every right to fire someone if they think they're going to lose ad money, but time has proven that they're wrong, you can always find sponsors if the voice has an audience.

There's truth to that. I'm a HUGE Howard Stern fan so I'm kind of mad at myself for feeling that way. I guess that I don't see Howard make flat out racist, sexist or homophobic comments. His position is more of a social commentary. Either way, your point is well taken.

Yes I am very scared that ignorant or asinine are going to be fired; what is next the lazy ones?

So someone says something shocking, or ignorant and they must be tarred and feathered? He didn't kill anybody, but his career must die?

I totally disagree with his comments and personally think he is an idiot. But I hate this guilty lynch mob society mentality over everything. PC is out of control sometimes

Just my two cents

Edit: I realize this has nothing to do with this particular topic, more just a general comment on society currently

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Was anyone outside of Cleveland talking about 92.3 before he gave them their 15 airminutes of fame?

Kevin Kiley, the sports talk radio host who called the hiring of a female coach "absurd," is out of a job.

He cited his "principles" as leading to his resignation. He told radio fans, "You shouldn't accept censorship ever."

Apparently we should accept misogyny. We should accept sexism and idiocy. We should accept a man who denigrates a woman he doesn't even know.

But we shouldn't accept the outcry of rightly offended people who drove him out of his job?

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/02/kevin_kiley_sports_talk_radio_host.html

Kevin Kiley, the sports talk radio host who called the hiring of a female coach "absurd," is out of a job.

He cited his "principles" as leading to his resignation. He told radio fans, "You shouldn't accept censorship ever."

Apparently we should accept misogyny. We should accept sexism and idiocy. We should accept a man who denigrates a woman he doesn't even know.

But we shouldn't accept the outcry of rightly offended people who drove him out of his job?

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/02/kevin_kiley_sports_talk_radio_host.html

Perhaps we as a society shouldn't be so quick to throw around PC buzz words like "sexism" and "misogyny" anytime someone says something that touches on any issue of sexual politics.

Perhaps instead of calling for the heads of people we disagree with we should rationally explanation what flaws we see in their positions and why.

Perhaps we should pull our heads out of our self righteous asses and climb said asses down from our high horses.

Perhaps instead of calling for the heads of people we disagree with we should rationally explanation what flaws we see in their positions and why.

Perhaps we should pull our heads out of our self righteous asses and climb said asses down from our high horses.

Perhaps is that someone were rational in his/her explanation people would rationally talk about the subject with him/her.

Self righteousness doesn't choose sides, does it?