Most Loathed Coaches All-Time

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>You hate Tony Dungy??<<

Wasn't it Dungy who had his OL goons go after Sam Cowart and ending his season after he was on the path for a career day during a game against Tampa? Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Paterno

2) Jimmy Johnson

3) Jauron

4) Rex

Hate is the wrong word.

#1 & #2 I have issues with as people.

#3 & #4 are just flat out awful coaches.

I don't know that Rex is a flat out awful football coach. I think he might be an awful Head Coach. The next 12 months will tell us a lot.

I absolutely cannot stand Tony Dungy. I find him to be a sanctimonious jerk.

This Deadspin article does a pretty good job of explaining how I feel about the guy: http://deadspin.com/5634307/tony-dungy-is-an-insufferable-****

Don't forget about his homophobic tendencies either. I like the phrase in the article about being the moral compass of the NFL- or acts like he is.

Don't forget about his homophobic tendencies either. I like the phrase in the article about being the moral compass of the NFL- or acts like he is.

The only thing I would argue with is your use of the word "tendencies." He is flat out homophobic and awful -- no qualifications needed. I only left that out because I wanted to focus on his overall act as an annoying. moralizing scold.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

1. Belichick - he would be in the HOF as a DC but a two time loser as HC if not for Brady. I can respect him and hate him. But you can not adequately evaluate him without adding that Brady is the best of all time.

2. Dungy - I can't stand this guy. Don't care for his religious piety. He was awful in the playoffs.

3. Levy - Yeah he is on the list. He was a good coach but with a better coach the Bills win three SuperBowls with that talent. He does not belong in the HOF. Wall fo Fame ok. HOF no way.

4. Jauron - I really can't stand play to lose coaches. He was so gutless. He got his players to overachieve but let them down at the most crucial moments

5. Ditka - it was Buddy Ryan not Ditka that won that SuperBowl. And in one the most classless moves of all time, he lets Perry score a TD and not Walter Payton.

As you can tell, I base my choices mostly on overhyped coaches that failed to perform on the biggest stage.

Levy?

A lesser coach - and most NFL coaches aren't his equal - would have never gotten this team to the Super Bowl once, let alone 4 consecutive times.

And all those HOF players? Some of them would have never earned a HOF bust without Levy's leadership.

Think of the great players we've had since Levy - Eric Moulds, Aaron Shobel, Takeo Spikes, Fred Jackson, etc. - who might have had a shot at the HOF if they had the privilege of playing for Marv.

Fortunately the experts on the HOF Selection Committee don't think like you.

Edited by hondo in seattle

love this topic.

my list:

belichick

gruden
parcells
herm edwards
buddy ryan
mike shanahan
marrone
nick saban
paterno
belichick is an a$$. he makes millions but has disdain for the media and fans and news cycle that creates this billion dollar industry that he benefits from. rex isn't as good a coach but at least he gets this and has fun with it. belicheck has an arrogance and superiority that i despise, he is my least favorite personality in the nfl.
i don't really dislike rex. he is a big joke and a mediocre coach, but not a villian.