49ers Hire Chip Kelly as New HC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip needs a mobile QB. He was able to get away with it with Foles - DeSean - Shady because Foles to DeSean was one of the best deep connections in the league that year and Shady could make up for more on his own than Murray could. With Bradford and the receivers they had there was zero threat of Bradford running and very little vertical threat as well.

Chip's offense should shape up well with Hyde, Bush and Kap in the backfield. They also have large receivers - Boldin and T.Smith. They will need a little more help with defense, since they are still suffering from the mass exodus that occurred last off season.

Chip's offense design is more suited for college, not the NFL.

Maybe time will prove me wrong on this. But I think this hire is another mis-step by SF.

In 2013 his team was 2nd in yds/game and 4th in points.

2014 he was 5th in yds and 3rd in points.

In 2013 his team was 2nd in yds/game and 4th in points.

2014 he was 5th in yds and 3rd in points.

What happened this year?

Chip traded considerable talent away and things fell off?

Chip made about 3 moves to many. In the pros when you only have 46 guys dressing on game day you have to make each one count.

What happened this year?

Chip traded considerable talent away and things fell off?

Chip made about 3 moves to many. In the pros when you only have 46 guys dressing on game day you have to make each one count.

How does what happened this year in terms of his player moves prove his offense isn't suited for the NFL?

You really need to evaluate this according to yards per possession. Kelly's offenses are so up tempo, they ave an unusually large number of possessions. So do their opponents

Of course there's a lot of different ways to look at the numbers - but I thought points and yards would certainly be enough to prove his offense works in the NFL.

But if you want to see it your way he was 11th in 2013 on yds per play and 5th in 2014. Pretty good, no?

Edited by Triple Threat

Of course there's a lot of different ways to look at the numbers - but I thought points and yards would certainly be enough to prove his offense works in the NFL.

But if you want to see it your way he was 11th in 2013 on yds per play and 5th in 2014. Pretty good, no?

You can only consider whether his offense "works" in the NFL in the context of what it means for his defense. Is his O capable of putting up yards and points, sure, but is it capable of doing it without over exposing the defense? Look at the players they have had on the defense in Philly... now way they should have been bottom 3 in total defense all 3 years.... but the way they play offense caused it and as far as I am concerned it indicated the O in fact doesnt work.

Edited by GunnerBill

That is pretty decent. BTW, I think Kelly is a good coach. Certainly on the x's and o's side.

You can only consider whether his offense "works" in the NFL in the context of what it means for his defense. Is his D capable of putting up yards and points, sure, but is it capable of doing it without over exposing the defense? Look at the players they have had on the defense in Philly... now way they should have been bottom 3 in total defense all 3 years.... but the way they play offense caused it and as far as I am concerned it indicated the O in fact doesnt work.

That's a big stretch my friend. There's never been a fast playing offense that had good defensive play too?

That's a big stretch my friend. There's never been a fast playing offense that had good defensive play too?

That wasn't what I said. I said Kelly's fast playing offense has never had good defensive play despite having good defensive talent. You are the one making the leap from the specific to the generic.

They are also beating you up with cumulative defensive stats and saying you have to look at efficiency stats on offense.

I'm not. I didn't tell you to look at efficiency on offense that is other people's argument - not mine. The offense has put up yards and points.... though in reducing numbers each year.... the defense has consistently struggled.

Edited by GunnerBill

Not a big Kelly fan. He ran out of town top talent, couldn't figure it out with his players, and regressed. They won 10 games his first two years, but then only 7 in the weakest division in football.

His offense puts too much pressure on the defense. Take his scheme and think about how many top players retired or left SF. Now think about the Cardinals, and Seahawks. Even the Rams have a punishing defense.

He's going to magically turnaround a QB in Kaep who has been regressing for a couple of years because he can't get past his first read. I'm only happy as we play them next year.

It's sad as they had more draft picks than anyone else these last couple of years due to good negotiating, but wasted the picks.