Jerry Hughes or Vontaze Burflict - problems?

BuffaloBill

Who is a bigger penalty problem? I know many on the board wanted Burflict. He certainly has talent but is he a more problematic version of Hughes relative to penalties?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621200/article/vontaze-burfict-suspended-three-games-will-appeal

Well, just personally, I love Jerry Hughes and I think he plays with a ton of heart and effort and is a good teammate with net positive influence on the attitude of our defense. He takes some penalties, but I'm surprised to see him compared to a dirtbag like Burfict. I don't see him in that category of deliberately trying to injure people.

Well, just personally, I love Jerry Hughes and I think he plays with a ton of heart and effort and is a good teammate with net positive influence on the attitude of our defense. He takes some penalties, but I'm surprised to see him compared to a dirtbag like Burfict. I don't see him in that category of deliberately trying to injure people.

Yeah, I don't believe it's a fair comparison, at all.

Who is a bigger penalty problem? I know many on the board wanted Burflict. He certainly has talent but is he a more problematic version of Hughes relative to penalties?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621200/article/vontaze-burfict-suspended-three-games-will-appeal

They are both head cases but I think Hughes has slightly more self control... slightly

Both have a history of hurting their teams by being over-zealous. IMO, Hughes does it to get himself amped up and he does make great plays every game. Burfict appears to me to do it because he can't compete otherwise.

Btw, I think the Steeler WR faked getting knocked out. I expect him to have a 'miraculous' recovery in time to play this weekend.

id take burfict in a heartbeat. loved his game at ASU and at cinch. he took a couple penalties that are stupid but for a little context on that hit to brown think about the size difference between burfict and brown... he has 70LBs on him so anytime he gets hit by someone that size he is gonna look like a rag doll. its similar to what happened to shaq in the nba. refs admitted he was just bigger so when small guys hit him it wasn't bad so they wouldn't call fouls. was it a foul? yes but he was big so its ok.

you can bring up the other hit burfict had the week before in the end zone but he was within 5 yards. keep your head on a swivel.

I agree that Hughes doesn't intentionally hurt people. I like his game and attitude and he seemed to play a little more under control in the last quarter of the season. He could be a leader on the team if he can control his aggression better.

I haven't seen enough of Burflict to comment on his nature but that was a terrible hit and now Brown is under concussion protocol.

Hughes is solid. He is a bit of a lunatic, but this season was the first I've noticed him as a flag magnet. And he seems to have toned it down. He's all hustle to me and projects to be a nice 3-4 OLB imo.

Burfict just seems like a dirty thug that will eventually foul his way out of the game.

These guys are worlds apart

I don't get this comparison at all. Burfict is a dirty player, a headhunter, along the lines of a Suh type for deliberately trying to lay players out or aggravate their injuries.

Hughes goes hard and tries to make the most of his limited talent by being a quick-trigger guy, which means sometimes his trigger is too quick, and a play-hard-to-the-whistle guy, which means sometimes he plays past the whistle.

Many are saying that you can't compare the two because Berfict is dirty, whereas Hughes just makes mistakes. I'll take a different cut at the OP's question though. Relative to penalties they are relatively the same animal. Whether the Bengals get penalized after Burfict tries to spear a quarterback or the Bills get penalized after Hughes is running his mouth after a sack, they're both 15 yard penalties. Neither I would say is more problematic than the other in terms of the penalties themselves. If you reduce it to simply that, Hughes actually drew more penalties than Burfict for the season, so you would have to say he's more problematic. It breaks down like this before the playoffs:

Burfict - 1 Hands, 3 Roughness, 2 Holding. 39 Yards of total penalties.

Hughes - 1 Hands, 1 Facemask, 4 Roughness, 2 Unsportsmanlike, 2 Offsides, 4 Neutral Zone. 114 Yards of total penalties.

Hughes is a bigger problem giving opposing offenses first downs. Burfict is a potential bigger problem in having to sit out games because he's dirty.

Edited by Luxy312