DB coach Donnie Henderson won't be returning to Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Henderson is not good. One of the very few coaches that actually earned his paychecks

Last season. With the Ryan twins IMO next year will again be extremely disappointing. But could

Fast track the Ryan bros evenetual firing. Why hasn't Rex hired his Dad? poor health aside he at least

Has a football brain. The twins get jobs based on their father to this day

Is there anything anywhere in print from OBD other than Rex saying getting Rob is a good move?

What is going on at OBD? Wonder what Whaley's take on this is?

Imo

Henderson was a great coach here. Sucks that he is leaving. I imagine that it is because he wants a DC opportunity but maybe he just didn't want to share DB duties with too many coaches.

I would love Ed Reed if only for the fire he would bring. Who knows how well he can coach. A lot of great players make lousy coaches. I'm not at all saying he's one of them, only that just because you were a great player does not at all mean you can coach great. But his intensity I imagine carries over.

Make no mistake though, Rex knows he's in trouble and had a crappy year. He's taking over the defense. Not Rob, not Thurman. It's going to be Rex. This is likely his last coaching job, whether he is bad or good. He's not going out without his own guns a blazin'.

Make no mistake though, Rex knows he's in trouble and had a crappy year. He's taking over the defense. Not Rob, not Thurman. It's going to be Rex. This is likely his last coaching job, whether he is bad or good. He's not going out without his own guns a blazin'.

I truly believe there was an ultimatum. I am getting the sentiment that if he fails he wants to go out like you said "guns a blazin".

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Just reading between the lines, perhaps Henderson was in the ear of players like Mario, telling (or agreeing with) them that Schwartz's scheme had been better. Rex is trying to get everyone on the same page heading into next year. It may not work out, but you've got to give him the power to make these kinds of decisions. Again, if the results are disastrous (as FireChan and his army of TSW Walkers is predicting), Rex will be fired next offseason. I don't understand why basic assistant coaching changes have to portend total doom, in January...

Possible, certainly, but I would say unlikely. Henderson is a Rex Ryan guy. he worked with him in Baltimore and has traditionally run that Rex style of aggressive blitzing defense. I would be very surprised if he was now undermining the scheme.

I truly believe there was an ultimatum. I am getting the sentiment that if he fails he wants to go out like you said "guns a blazin".

There's no need for an ultimatum -- it's implied by the situation. Rex knows he's gone if next year goes like this year, Pegs doesn't need to tell him that.

When they hired the Rex Ryan circus they basically were saying let's take the only thing good about this team (defense and it's coaches) and blow it up. Well they blew it up and now we suck. Nice work

With the same core group of defensive players (KW, MW, MD, Gilmore, McKelvin and Hughes since 2013) this defense in the last 4 years has ranked in pts/game:

2012: 26th (27.2pts/g)

2013: 23rd (24.2pts/g)

2014: 4th (18.1pts/g)

2015: 15th (22.4 pts/g)

How about the following hypothesis: 2014 was an outlier where everything went right and the stars aligned and two players who were playing for contracts had monster years: Hughes and MD.

With the same core group of defensive players (KW, MW, MD, Gilmore, McKelvin and Hughes since 2013) this defense in the last 4 years has ranked in pts/game:

How about the following hypothesis: 2014 was an outlier where everything went right and the stars aligned and two players who were playing for contracts had monster years: Hughes and MD.

I really do think you are on to something here. Defense was equally as terrible as it was elite in the 4 years. 2 and 2. The one year with Pettine was a D that was elite in terms of advanced stats only. The 2 years prior the defense was way worse than it was under Rex year 1.

I think the proper outlook is that the defensive personnel is vastly overrated by fans and are blaming way too much on the coaching.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

hmm... is Donnie following Doug Marrone somewhere?

this following was taken from this old link..

http://www.wgr550.com/As-times-and-players-have-changed-Donnie-Henderson/21675701#

On that Jets staff was an offensive line coach named Doug Marrone. Henderson and Marrone formed a bond simply through talking about football every day. “Doug and I would sit and always talk football. Always.”

Five years later, after Marrone was hired as the head coach at Syracuse University, he picked up the phone and called his old football buddy and offered him a job. Henderson, who had since moved on to coordinate the Detroit Lions defense for a year, then worked as an assistant for the Jaguars and Cardinals, couldn't take it right away. But he was finally able to join his friend in 2012. By then, Marrone and his staff had turned the Orange program around and Marrone was becoming a candidate for several NFL jobs. The Bills hired him the following off-season. It was never a question if Henderson would follow Marrone to Buffalo – or anywhere.

“We always talked about it,” Henderson said of him and Marrone. “Wherever he was going to go I was going to go. That was just our relationship. I was pretty close with Doug, and still am.”

Nuh-uh....Rex Ryan sucks and ruined this premier defense....i read it on the google machine

2012: 26th (27.2pts/g)

2013: 23rd (24.2pts/g)

2014: 4th (18.1pts/g)

2015: 15th (22.4 pts/g)

hmm... is Donnie following Doug Marrone somewhere?

this following was taken from this old link..

http://www.wgr550.com/As-times-and-players-have-changed-Donnie-Henderson/21675701#

On that Jets staff was an offensive line coach named Doug Marrone. Henderson and Marrone formed a bond simply through talking about football every day. Doug and I would sit and always talk football. Always.

Five years later, after Marrone was hired as the head coach at Syracuse University, he picked up the phone and called his old football buddy and offered him a job. Henderson, who had since moved on to coordinate the Detroit Lions defense for a year, then worked as an assistant for the Jaguars and Cardinals, couldn't take it right away. But he was finally able to join his friend in 2012. By then, Marrone and his staff had turned the Orange program around and Marrone was becoming a candidate for several NFL jobs. The Bills hired him the following off-season. It was never a question if Henderson would follow Marrone to Buffalo or anywhere.

We always talked about it, Henderson said of him and Marrone. Wherever he was going to go I was going to go. That was just our relationship. I was pretty close with Doug, and still am.

Jax does have a DC opening I think