DB coach Donnie Henderson won't be returning to Bills

YoloinOhio

I'm going to challenge this notion that Bills fans seem to have by-and-large signed off on.

Leodis still can't turn and track the ball for a damn. He still gets beat deep and does inexplicable things.

This year Graham, Rambo, Duke and Meeks were all consistently inconsistent and proved to be major liabilities at some major points in important games.

So I'm wondering exactly which performance(s) in 2015 have Bills fans convinced that coaching--particularly from Henderson--made such a positive impact on.

Darby was a nice little surprise, but the number of players that took a step back--including Robey, who has yet to return to his rookie form--out number the successes we had in the defensive backfield last year and this year.

So if a coach is in the employ of the Bills, he's beyond reproach. But if said coach is dismissed or leaves, then said coach was vastly overrated and everything will be rainbows and unicorns now that he is gone.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if a coach is in the employ of the Bills, he's beyond reproach. But if said coach is dismissed or leaves, then said coach was vastly overrated and everything will be rainbows and unicorns now that he is gone.

I haven't the foggiest how you managed upon this conclusion.

im as anti-owner interfering with the day to day as anyone and think that it would be incredibly reasonable for him to say that i am not comfortable with you hiring your brother as your #2

Sure. If his brother had no NFL credentials and was last seen washing dishes as a restaurant busboy. In this case, gimme a break!

5th in plays per drive, 12th in points per drive. The offense definitely impacted their raw point numbers. Also bear in mind that the defensie was atrocious the year before.

Thanks for all the info Dave. Just some thoughts and maybe you can give me the numbers:

- if your defense has poor field position you're going to give up few yards per scoring drive because the opposing team has less distance to go to score.

- plays per drive can also be dependent on starting position for the opposing offense (less field means less plays generally)

I think the most telling stats would be points per drive and avg start position. If you rank high in pts per drive and rank low on avg start position then i think thats pretty telling bc your defense is being put in a tough spot and ur still doing a good job.

What have those numbers been throughout the years since 2012?

Statistically HUGHES and Dareus had great years in 2013 and 2014. Very similar... Try again...

The outlier is the talent on the team and the scheme fit like a glove in 2014. Every guy on the field was just asked to do what they are best at.

Ding Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner here. The team's personnel fit a 4-3 defense to a tee, and could have done the same this year.

I have no idea how this team is going to do

but

Donnie is a EXCELLENT coach and I dont like losing him.

And if Donnie is going....just let McKelvin go as well.....because Donnie is the ONLY thing that turned Leodis career around

I was remembering this too.... Mck went from can't make a play on a ball to save his life to getting his head around and playing some decent ball and Donnie was credited with that as well as getting Darby up to snuff so quickly. I also recall some friction between he and wrecks in ny, which led him to b Lo.

Oh well... Im sure 'ol windbags has an empty explanation on how this makes them even better than #1

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Thanks for all the info Dave. Just some thoughts and maybe you can give me the numbers:

- if your defense has poor field position you're going to give up few yards per scoring drive because the opposing team has less distance to go to score.

- plays per drive can also be dependent on starting position for the opposing offense (less field means less plays generally)

I think the most telling stats would be points per drive and avg start position. If you rank high in pts per drive and rank low on avg start position then i think thats pretty telling bc your defense is being put in a tough spot and ur still doing a good job.

What have those numbers been throughout the years since 2012?

2012:

Drive start: 29th

Time per drive: 14

plays per drive: 18

yards per drive: 22

points per drive 29

2013:

Drive start: 30

Time per drive: 7

plays per drive: 5

yards per drive: 2

points per drive 12

2014:

Drive start: 11 (STs were great last year; that probably factors in)

Time per drive: 5

plays per drive: 3

yards per drive: 3

points per drive 1

2015:

Drive start: 21

Time per drive: 3

yards per drive: 12

points per drive 14

They really dominated in 2014. They also weren't as bad this year as it seemed. As Yolo has pointed out a bunch of times, they had some terrible games but they had some good games too (i.e., the final game of the season vs. the Jets).

I think they can get it turned around if they solidify one LB spot and get a solid-to-good LDE who wants to play.

Edited by dave mcbride

Sure. If his brother had no NFL credentials and was last seen washing dishes as a restaurant busboy. In this case, gimme a break!

But he hasn't been good at his job as a DC. just yesterday, someone argued with me that RobR is not being hired to be the DC and I said it's only a matter of time. Little did I realize that the time span would be so short.

His claim to fame is being a DC for several years and his squad being half way decent against the pass for 2-3 years. Rest of the time, his run D and overall D have been terrible. Since he was let go, RobR was sitting around. He was not called for any DC position. Yet just days after he is inexplicably hired by Buffalo, it looks like the DC spot may open up for him.

What exactly are you defending in this situation?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

But he hasn't been good at his job as a DC. just yesterday, someone argued with me that RobR is not being hired to be the DC and I said it's only a matter of time. Little did I realize that the time span would be so short.

His claim to fame is being a DC for several years and his squad being half way decent against the pass for 2-3 years. Rest of the time, his run D and overall D have been terrible. Since he was let go, RobR was sitting around. He was not called for any DC position. Yet just days after he is inexplicably hired by Buffalo, it looks like the DC spot may open up for him.

What exactly are you defending in this situation?

Rex will be the DC irrespective of any titles. Now let's go have a :censored: snack!

2012:

Drive start: 29th

Time per drive: 14

plays per drive: 18

yards per drive: 22

points per drive 29

2013:

Drive start: 30

Time per drive: 7

yards per drive: 2

points per drive 12

2014:

Drive start: 11 (STs were great last year; that probably factors in)

Time per drive: 5

plays per drive: 3

yards per drive: 3

points per drive 1

2015:

Drive start: 21

Time per drive: 3

yards per drive: 12

points per drive 14

They really dominated in 2014. They also weren't as bad this year as it seemed. As Yolo has pointed out a bunch of times, they had some terrible games but they had some good games too (i.e., the final game of the season vs. the Jets).

I think they can get it turned around if they solidify one LB spot and get a solid-to-good LDE who wants to play.

Awesome, thanks for looking that stuff up! I agree about the LB position. I was hoping we could have brought David Harris over here from the Jets - I feel a veteran player like him, with experience in Rex's system, would have been a huge addition to this defense.

The Jets probably feared that too and that's why they appeared to overpay him a bit.

This off-season is turning into the following:

Toilet clogged at One Bills drive. %##$&& Rex!

Secretary orders wrong ink cartridge model. *#%*£¥ Rex!!!!

Gas prices go up. $%%$@* REX!!!

Chinese Stock Markets crash, yep...that's Ryan too!

@viccarucci

At news conference introducing him as #Bills' HC, Rex Ryan called Donnie Henderson "one of the finest coaches Ive ever been around."

Donnie will be 59 this year and I don't blame him at all for looking for a better opportunity to expand his horizons.

Henderson leaves, Thurmond is demoted to DB coach and Rex and Rob will collaborate on play calling.

Oddly I'm OK with all of this. I did not like Thurmond in the DC role. I think Rex and Rob can get the players on the same page...

Really would love a statement from either Whaley or the Pegula's, helping fans to understand wtf is going on with the Bills. Please... Someone make me feel better about this circus!

Or maybe they should send a bunch of binkies to the fan base?

Awesome, thanks for looking that stuff up! I agree about the LB position. I was hoping we could have brought David Harris over here from the Jets - I feel a veteran player like him, with experience in Rex's system, would have been a huge addition to this defense.The Jets probably feared that too and that's why they appeared to overpay him a bit.

They really have the talent to be very good. They need to have the want to. This year that was missing...they didn't want to play the D Rex wanted them to play. Under Schwartz they basically lined up and played and it was easy for them to know and do their job. This year they had to learn a lot of things and had to really be on top of what should be done in any situation with multiple checks, etc...it was more like hard work. So they went from playing and having fun to having to do hard work and they didn't want to do it...they wanted to go back to having it easy...