Big Changes to Defense for 2016

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex says...

"We’re going to do things much differently next year, and we’re going to be better because of it. In a way, I tried to merge a couple of things, you know, two systems and things like that. And quite honestly, it didn’t work, so we’re going to be all in, we’re going to play Buffalo Bill defense, and we’re not going to be fun to play."

What does Rex exactly mean and what are the ramifications?

It means he hasn't learned to stop running his mouth.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

It means that Rex isn't going to try to make guys like Bradham and Mario work in his scheme.

It means we'll see a lot of 30 front and some type of investment at safety.

Why do you say that?

I don't have a reason to believe one way or the other........seemed he was playing more 4 man DL late and had talked about wanting to use more 4-3 but couldn't because of the loss of Kyle Williams.

Why do you say that?

I don't have a reason to believe one way or the other........seemed he was playing more 4 man DL late and had talked about wanting to use more 4-3 but couldn't because of the loss of Kyle Williams.

Don't want to speak for los bandito, but I think he was referring to Rex saying yesterday on the radio that he was going back to his own defense rather than the hybrid he tried to play this year.

Which brings me to a question I'd like to ask you. If we were to sign, say, Harrison of the Jets to play nose, do you think Marcel and Kyle could play 3-4 DEs in Rex's system well?

Don't want to speak for los bandito, but I think he was referring to Rex saying yesterday on the radio that he was going back to his own defense rather than the hybrid he tried to play this year.

Which brings me to a question I'd like to ask you. If we were to sign, say, Harrison of the Jets to play nose, do you think Marcel and Kyle could play 3-4 DEs in Rex's system well?

Yeah, admittedly I'm reading into his comments, but it sure sounded that way to me.

Ok thanks I missed him saying that.

I know Dareus can play DE....he was a great 3-4 DE at Alabama........but not Kyle Williams.

KW is a stubby penetrator.......when he's looked bad in his career it's when he is being asked to play with two gap responsibility.

If Rex is going to play "his" D then he will have to compromise again to make it work with KW as a 3 down DE.

Harrison is a very good player but he's going to get a long term contract.

I am interested to see what is happening with Haloti Ngata.

He can play both NT and DE in Rex D.

Ngata would bring championship experience/leadership and he may be a reasonably priced vet who could come in on a short contract and not be a scheme specific cut in 2017 if Rex gets himself fired next year.

I think Kyle is still a very good player but as bad of a fit as anyone on this D for Rex scheme.

Rex says...

"We’re going to do things much differently next year, and we’re going to be better because of it. In a way, I tried to merge a couple of things, you know, two systems and things like that. And quite honestly, it didn’t work, so we’re going to be all in, we’re going to play Buffalo Bill defense, and we’re not going to be fun to play."

What does Rex exactly mean and what are the ramifications?

If this past season's defense was any indication, they're not going to be fun to watch either.

I know Dareus can play DE....he was a great 3-4 DE at Alabama........but not Kyle Williams.

KW is a stubby penetrator.......when he's looked bad in his career it's when he is being asked to play with two gap responsibility.

If Rex is going to play "his" D then he will have to compromise again to make it work with KW as a 3 down DE.

Ngata would bring championship experience/leadership and he may be a reasonably priced vet who could come in on a short contract and not be a scheme specific cut in 2017 if Rex gets himself fired next year.

I think Kyle is still a very good player but as bad of a fit as anyone on this D for Rex scheme.

Agreed that Kyle has no place in a true 30 front.

Bad fit for a great player

I'm fine with a guy like Knighton or Mebane at nose as well.

I think so, Kyle can do anything, and I think Dareus played End at Alabama

:thumbsup: