CFB National Championship game

YoloinOhio

Coker was barely sacked all year, in a conference chock full of good Ds. He was the 2nd choice at FSU behind Jameis Winston, which isn't exactly the same as not being a good QB. Alabama usually requires a certain level of game management from their QBs, and only the occasional big play. Coker delivered in spades all year, I'm not sure why you think he's no good, except maybe you lost money on the game last night

I watched I think like 5 Alabama games. I know he put up crazy stats against MSU, but MSU couldn't cover a paper bag in that game after they lost their top CB early on. He was also benched for a couple of games this season, as it so happens, and didn't get the starting gig last year despite expectations that he would. I don't like or dislike Alabama. As a pro prospect, he just doesn't look any good to me. As I said, he doesn't see the field well and clearly isn't a very precise thrower. Like most college QBs, he is able to hit wide open elite receivers. He also has size and his arm seems pretty decent. But the exact same could be said for EJ Manuel. He looks like a very mediocre qb to me.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of it has to do with what's on the line for them. It's easier (not easy...just easier) to maintain discipline when these kids are fighting tooth and nail to get into the NFL, and any type of suspension puts a magnifying glass on them. Once they're in the NFL and they have the money (especially the guys who are on their second contract), that fear goes away.

Also, the top schools have rosters that are filled with athleticism and talent. Sure, there's a drop-off between starters and backups, but it's not close to the NFL. Suspending and even kicking players off the team is way easier in CFB. Of course all bets go out the window when you're talking about the superstar types like Winston, who tend to get that "benefit of the doubt" more often than their teammates.

The targeting rules aren't really addressing what you're talking about. They address a specific act -- going at a player's head -- during a football game. Every NCAA player knows he can be disqualified from the game if he is found "guilty" of targeting -- which is reviewed upstairs.

The NFL could implement a similar rule immediately and put a stop to the nonsense like what Burfict does on a regular basis.

I don't watch much college football, so I was surprised at how different the college game looks.

Also, no 2 minute warning?

Nope, not in college. Instead, they stop the clock to get the chains set after every first down. It balances out nicely but doesn't allow for commercials.

Coker was barely sacked all year, in a conference chock full of good Ds. He was the 2nd choice at FSU behind Jameis Winston, which isn't exactly the same as not being a good QB. Alabama usually requires a certain level of game management from their QBs, and only the occasional big play. Coker delivered in spades all year, I'm not sure why you think he's no good, except maybe you lost money on the game last night

As a fan of the National Champion Crimson Tide you should know.....there is no arguing with a hater. :)

As a fan of the National Champion Crimson Tide you should know.....there is no arguing with a hater. :)

I'm not a hater, Bill. He just doesn't look very good to me as a pro prospect. I had no preconceived ideas about him prior to this season. If he turns out to be a good pro QB, I'll gladly eat crow.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think the Alabama kicker should be MVP of that game.

That onside kick was a thing of beauty, and done under tremendous pressure. He couldn't have thrown a more perfect pass than that lob kick.

Yeah, Alabama's ST overall is the gold standard and wins games. I'm an Ohio State fan and Bama's punter almost gave me an ulcer during last year's playoff. Kid was unconscious. One thing watching Saban and Urban has taught me is that in order to be a championship team you must emphasize and celebrate ST (**cough Carpenter**).

The one stat I saw on him made me cringe - https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/684814998820921344

"Clemson LB Ben Boulware has missed 24% of his tackle attempts this season, among the worst rates we've charted."

When you think about it, perfect Bills fit. :thumbsup:

he just makes so many that it makes up for the misses :D

Congrats Bama and great game. Clemson totally lit up the Bama D - special teams was the difference. In the film room they said that Clemson was 126 out of 128 teams on ST this season. Showed up last night.

Watson was amazing! Who is the favorite for the heisman next year, Fournette, mccaffrey or Watson?

was not a fan of the film room, was hoping it would be more like nfl matchup with play breakdowns and some drafting profiles, but I suppose that would be hard to do during the game.

Also worst time ever for the server to go down. I was in the middle of posting of how built Bama TE Howard is and some one to keep an eye on and then I was stuck in limbo :angry: , I waited 4 hrs but it still wasn't up, so just shut the computer downs after that.

Great game! Clemson just made too many mistakes to win though. And if they didn't have their QB (Deshaun..sp?), they probably would have lost by about 30.

But they really need to think about starting this game earlier (East coast should rule!....LOL). The game ended at 12:18am.....that is ridiculous.

ETA: Oh, and like I said in the Shout Box last night, I had no idea who Ciara was/is, but I thoroughly enjoyed eyeballing her rack, and all these do-gooders are probably just jealous! ;-)

your sexual exploitation of women is disgusting ... B-)

Clemson was the third youngest team in cfb I believe - they could very well be back next year IMO. Watson is too good. Dabo is a great recruiter too and they will be hungry.

I'll be rooting for Ole Miss next yr, just for Kelly of course.

didnt see any, they like to focus on the cheerleaders

most do except for those in the Jills thread

I don't watch much college football, so I was surprised at how different the college game looks.

Also, no 2 minute warning?

and more fun.

never have had 2 min warning as far as I know.

What were peoples opinions of Shaq Lawson from this game

Ragland frankly dissapointed me

Shaq was playing hurt with an MCL sprain so need to take that into consideration first. But I was impressed with Lawson. Looked explosive and thought the whole Clemson DL looked dominant, especially Kevin Dodd. Bama's RT really couldn't handle either Dodd or Lawson. Together they had 5 sacks and a bunch of TFL.

On the other side I was very impressed with Bama NT Jarron Reed.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Shaq was playing hurt with an MCL sprain so need to take that into consideration first. But I was impressed with Lawson. Looked explosive and thought the whole Clemson DL looked dominant, especially Kevin Dodd. Bama's RT really couldn't handle either Dodd or Lawson. Together they had 5 sacks and a bunch of TFL.

Dodd looked good didn't really notice Lawson, I thought he was out of the game.

just saw this - wow

Shaq Lawson (25.5) and Kevin Dodd (23.5) finish 1-2 in the nation in total tackles for loss. Doubt two teammates have done that.

very impressive, which means we wont get them.

drafting 19th sux, can't believe we won those last two games, way to play hard AFTER we were eliminated!! we could have picked 12th.

very impressive, which means we wont get them.

drafting 19th sux, can't believe we won those last two games, way to play hard AFTER we were eliminated!! we could have picked 12th.

but if you listen to the "experts" there are about 50 guys going in the 1st round. Lol

we shall get a good player where we draft

huh. Coker had a higher QBR than Watson, Derrick Henry outrushed the whole Clemson team (including Watson!) 158 to 145. OJ Howard set a championship game record with 207 yards receiving. if running what amounted to the Doug Flutie Broken Play Offense is what you define as better, than that's fine, but frankly the rate that Clemson players were getting knocked out of the game they wouldnt have had anyone left in another quarter of play. Watson could barely get up and clearly had hurt both his knees. They left it all on the field for sure.

This is a more accurate description of reality (Tom Ley):

"Watson wasn’t just busting up an all-world defense, he was exerting complete control over the game. He escaped blitzes, rifled perfect throws all over the field, and never once wavered, despite the defense and special teams unit repeatedly shooting their own dicks off. Watson was in the zone, and it showed on almost every throw he made"