CFB National Championship game

YoloinOhio

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/acc.shtml

It's not 'insecure' to point out that the SEC is a harder conference than the ACC. Playing in a harder conference increases your chance of a loss. Do you think Clemson would have gone undefeated in the SEC this year? Minimally, they would have had to beat both Florida and Alabama to get into the playoffs. There's a reason why Alabama with 1 loss was still a top 4 team, while other teams with 1 loss weren't considered, unless you think that the whole playoff system is built on SEC chauvinism.

That isn't true either. Michigan State and Oklahoma each had a loss.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for SEC dominance, yes, they're the best conference, but year in and year out over the last few seasons, I'd say that the top six talent programs are Alabama, Florida State, Clemson, Ohio State, USC, and LSU (with Oklahoma close behind). Why USC isn't better than it is with all of that talent is a bit of a mystery to me. They certainly put a lot of players in the pros. A good coach makes a huge difference though. Put Carroll back there, and they dominate.

I expect Michigan to catch up.

Edited by dave mcbride

That isn't true either. Michigan State and Oklahoma each had a loss.

There were other 1 loss teams besides MSU and OU

edit: this also helps my point; 1 loss teams NOT in the SEC got killed in the playoffs.

Edited by dorquemada

I think the only other ones were Iowa, OSU, and Houston. Houston never had a chance, and Iowa and OSU didn't win their conference.

edit: this also helps my point; 1 loss teams NOT in the SEC got killed in the playoffs.

Michigan State, god love 'em, should never have been in it. The Michigan game is the only reason they got that far. Otherwise, it would have been OSU (assuming they beat an overrated Iowa team, which I think they would have).

As for SEC dominance, yes, they're the best conference, but year in and year out over the last few seasons, I'd say that the top six talent programs are Alabama, Florida State, Clemson, Ohio State, USC, and LSU (with Oklahoma close behind). Why USC isn't better than it is with all of that talent is a bit of a mystery to me. They certainly put a lot of players in the pros. A good coach makes a huge difference though. Put Carroll back there, and they dominate.

I expect Michigan to catch up.

>>>>>I don't really care much about college ball, Bill - it's all about the draft for me. College football is too corrupt an institution for me to really support<<<<<

This is a quote from you in post #128. Dave, you sure do sound like a person who knows a bit about college football. :) :) :)

You mention LSU.....when the Tide beat them is when I thought we had a chance. They absolutely crushed Fournette. I am going to go WAY out on a limb here (and I wish Badol would chime in), but I think that a healthy Fournette is already one of the top 10 backs in college OR THE NFL. He is big, lightening fast, and has unreal moves. My contention is that no other defense could shut him down like the Tide did.

Btw, Ole Miss may have the best recruiting class this year. And, doesn't it seem as if most of the top programs have coaches that coached under Saban? Kirby Smart is a great coach and a great recruiter. He is going to boost up UGA, or so I strongly think.

So of course, having Saban as coach is HUGE, but he IS a part of the team. I really don't think that Clemson is as good as the Crimson Tide. At least not this year.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>I don't really care much about college ball, Bill - it's all about the draft for me. College football is too corrupt an institution for me to really support<<<<<

This is a quote from you in post #128. Dave, you sure do sound like a person who knows a bit about college football. :) :) :)

You mention LSU.....when the Tide beat them is when I thought we had a chance. They absolutely crushed Fournette. I am going to go WAY out on a limb here (and I wish Badol would chime in), but I think that a healthy Fournette is already one of the top 10 backs in college OR THE NFL. He is big, lightening fast, and has unreal moves. My contention is that no other defense could shut him down like the Tide did.

Btw, Ole Miss may have the best recruiting class this year. And, doesn't it seem as if most of the top programs have coaches that coached under Saban? Kirby Smart is a great coach and a great recruiter. He is going to boost up UGA, or so I strongly think.

So of course, having Saban as coach is HUGE, but he IS a part of the team. I really don't think that Clemson is as good as the Crimson Tide. At least not this year.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! Let me rephrase: I don't care about particular teams and don't have team loyalty. But I do care about the Bills. And the Bills get their talent from the corrupt institution known as college football, so I've gotta be informed!

Dantonio is a former Saban coach too. He's a great coach.

You're probably right about Fournette, but Badol would probably see him as a 3rd round pick given what he thinks about drafting RBs high. I agree with him.

Edited by dave mcbride

You're probably right about Fournette, but Badol would probably see him as a 3rd round pick given what he thinks about drafting RBs high. I agree with him.

So do I, approx. 99% of the time.

And, a lot can happen in terms of injuries and off the field issues before he is drafted. Short of anything like this, I think he could wind up being another Adrian Peterson or Eric Dickerson. He might even be stronger than these two, it's possible.

OSU was a 1 loss team this year and last year when they defeated a 1 loss Alabama. The point does not really hold.

It is about time to start separating Alabama from the SEC. The SEC did play well in the bowl games but Ole Miss was probably the only other SEC team worthy of a top 10 ranking. The other top 10 teams in no particular order: Alabama, Clemson, Stanford, Ohio State, Houston, Michigan State, Oklahoma, TCU and Iowa. They were followed by Michigan, ND, Baylor, Florida State, UNC and in 1 poll LSU. The SEC had the best team (Alabama), the number 9 or 10 team depending on the poll (Ole Miss) and the next highest team wasn't until LSU at 16 or 17 depending on the poll.