CFB National Championship game

YoloinOhio

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also, college coaches exercise more control over their players than NFL coaches just due to the nature of age, money, etc.

Maybe it's as simple as this: the pros are playing to put food on the table in a league where the average career lasts 3.5 years. They are playing for keeps.

Maybe it's as simple as this: the pros are playing to put food on the table in a league where the average career lasts 3.5 years. They are playing for keeps.

also, in college there are always 2 or 3 guys behind each player on the bench who are just as good waiting for their turn. Everything is a competition and new recruits coming in every year. Kids are always competing for playing time and stupid penalties, loss of composure, etc on field is much easier to bench in college because in NFL, the backups are almost always a big drop off due to salary cap.

Just chiming in here. Talent wise, Clemson looked significantly superior to me on both sides of the ball. They just had more breakdowns (ST, not covering the TE). It cost them the game.

yep. The best player on the field didn't win but it was an amazing performance from Watson. I mentioned last night that if I was a Clemson fan I would have a hard time getting over the fact that Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins and Martavis Bryant all had to play with Tajh Boyd, and Watson was throwing to a walk on. Renfroe had a nice game, but still, there were perfect passes dropped and it sucks when the top talent doesn't line up for the championship. Had Clemson #1 WR mike Williams not gotten hurt early in the season, we have seen a different outcome last night. Edited by YoloinOhio

yep. The best player on the field didn't win but it was an amazing performance from Watson. I mentioned last night that if I was a Clemson fan I would have a hard time getting over the fact that Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins and Martavis Bryant all had to play with Tajh Boyd, and Watson was throwing to a walk on. Renfroe had a nice game, but still, there were perfect passes dropped and it sucks when the top talent doesn't line up for the championship. Had Clemson #1 WR mike Williams not gotten hurt early in the season, we have seen a different outcome last night.

On the other hand, if Coker had realized he was in a game before the 3rd quarter, it might not have been so close. Clemson got the benefit of a REALLY flat performance for the first half.

Clemson gave up two TDs on blown coverage, a blocked field goal, a kickoff return for a TD, and got burned on an onside kick ... and still only lost by 5. If I was a Clemson fan I'd be absolutely miserable.

they lost their best cover corner early on and Kiffin attacked the safeties with the TE. I think Saban felt the hurt getting put on is own D by clenson's offense, didn't think they could stop them, and felt like he had to go to the onside kick. Usually if you feel you are going to win regardless you don't pull that risky play. It was very well executed too by the kicker and Saban trusted him to do it (btw that was same kicker from the Auburn kick 6). I like Dabo and Venables but they got out coached by Saban and Kiffin down the stretch. Edited by YoloinOhio

Clemson gave up two TDs on blown coverage, a blocked field goal, a kickoff return for a TD, and got burned on an onside kick ... and still only lost by 5. If I was a Clemson fan I'd be absolutely miserable.

Those weren't isolated incidents. On at least 2 of the sacks of Coker, he missed seeing WIDE OPEN receivers who would have had easy TDs and the Alabama D dropped 3 interceptions. My opinion is that Alabama would have scored another 20 points easily if Coker was on his normal game, and the normally surehanded D didnt have the dropsies. Clemson has been susceptible to big plays, it's not like Saban didn't know that. If your contention is that Clemson beat themselves, then every team who has ever lost beat themselves.

Those weren't isolated incidents. On at least 2 of the sacks of Coker, he missed seeing WIDE OPEN receivers who would have had easy TDs and the Alabama D dropped 3 interceptions. My opinion is that Alabama would have scored another 20 points easily if Coker was on his normal game, and the normally surehanded D didnt have the dropsies. Clemson has been susceptible to big plays, it's not like Saban didn't know that. If your contention is that Clemson beat themselves, then every team who has ever lost beat themselves.

No - Bama took the damn thing. The program, Saban, the whole thing is incredible. Congrats to the champs.

It is my contention that Clemson fans must be especially miserable today after being so close despite so many terrible things happening to their team over the course of the game.

I have no dog in this fight, but I thought that Clemson just looked like a better football team on both sides of the ball. The Alabama QB (Coker) isn't any good either--there's a reason why those plays weren't made. I doubt he even gets drafted. The blown coverages and ST plays killed Clemson. However, Alabama's vaunted D was a sieve -- they gave up close to 550 yards! I don't normally roll out the "they beat themselves," and perhaps that's not the right phrase. I don't think the more talented team won, however. The better coach did, though ...

Edited by dave mcbride

No - Bama took the damn thing. The program, Saban, the whole thing is incredible. Congrats to the champs.

It is my contention that Clemson fans must be especially miserable today after being so close despite so many terrible things happening to their team over the course of the game.

you're correct. Clemson clearly is a great team and must be hands on favorites for next year. They were fantastic all season but ran out of luck/guts/time last night. The most amazing stat they quoted was that they had won 51 games in a row where they lead entering the 4th quarter.

I have no dog in this fight, but I thought that Clemson just looked like a better football team on both sides of the ball. The Alabama QB (Coker) isn't any good either--there's a reason why those plays weren't made. I doubt he even gets drafted. The blown coverages and ST plays killed Clemson. However, Alabama's vaunted D was a sieve -- they gave up close to 550 yards!

they typically struggle vs spread option and tempo. They are designed to dominate vs traditional pro style offenses that are easier to defend. It is hard for them to replicate the spread and dual threat QB in practice, and saban doesn't recruit that type of QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

I have no dog in this fight, but I thought that Clemson just looked like a better football team on both sides of the ball. The Alabama QB (Coker) isn't any good either--there's a reason why those plays weren't made. I doubt he even gets drafted. The blown coverages and ST plays killed Clemson. However, Alabama's vaunted D was a sieve -- they gave up close to 550 yards! I don't normally roll out the "they beat themselves," and perhaps that's not the right phrase. I don't think the more talented team won, however. The better coach did, though ...

huh. Coker had a higher QBR than Watson, Derrick Henry outrushed the whole Clemson team (including Watson!) 158 to 145. OJ Howard set a championship game record with 207 yards receiving. if running what amounted to the Doug Flutie Broken Play Offense is what you define as better, than that's fine, but frankly the rate that Clemson players were getting knocked out of the game they wouldnt have had anyone left in another quarter of play. Watson could barely get up and clearly had hurt both his knees. They left it all on the field for sure.

huh. Coker had a higher QBR than Watson, Derrick Henry outrushed the whole Clemson team (including Watson!) 158 to 145. OJ Howard set a championship game record with 207 yards receiving. if running what amounted to the Doug Flutie Broken Play Offense is what you define as better, than that's fine, but frankly the rate that Clemson players were getting knocked out of the game they wouldnt have had anyone left in another quarter of play. Watson could barely get up and clearly had hurt both his knees. They left it all on the field for sure.

Coker isn't any good, regardless of the QBR. He doesn't see the field well (hence the sacks) and he isn't very accurate. The big question to me is why Alabama seem unable to recruit top-shelf QBs despite recruiting 5 star players at every other position. And Coker was a FSU castoff anyway.

Coker isn't any good, regardless of the QBR. He doesn't see the field well (hence the sacks) and he isn't very accurate. The big question to me is why Alabama seem unable to recruit top-shelf QBs despite recruiting 5 star players at every other position. And Coker was a FSU castoff anyway.

Coker was barely sacked all year, in a conference chock full of good Ds. He was the 2nd choice at FSU behind Jameis Winston, which isn't exactly the same as not being a good QB. Alabama usually requires a certain level of game management from their QBs, and only the occasional big play. Coker delivered in spades all year, I'm not sure why you think he's no good, except maybe you lost money on the game last night

Fantastic game and it again reminded me of why I prefer college football to the NFL.

A few thoughts on the game:

-Deshaun Watson is an absolute monster. He is going to be a great pro QB.

-I pass on Reggie Ragland. He looked too slow for the speed of that game.

-I'm not sold on Henry as a pro (at all). With that being said what an amazing year from him.

-Saban is the GOAT. That onside kick seeled it for me.

-I love Dabo and his energy. I would send my kids to play for either of these guys 8 days a week.

-The game was played hard but clean. I saw a tweet last night that said "I've watched 2 games this week Pitt-Cincy and the National Championship and one was played by men, the other children." It summed up my feelings.

I'm getting to that point too. The rules and replay system are just more enjoyable. Not saying that it is perfect, just feels like the game is more player and team oriented and less league and referee tilted.

Edited by The Thurmanator