Chris Polian Titans' GM?

Well he already knows the division having been in Indy and Jax. That would be a plus for him in the selection process. He would not retain Mularkey IMO. Mularkey was the first person his current boss Caldwell got rid of when he got to Jax. I don't see any way he sees him as a good choice. The Roman connection is a good one. Roman interviewed for OC in Jax last year, too. Chip could be in play. He said he just wants to coach now. And Chris isn't a guy who wants the spotlight at all. He's a behind the scenes type and would have chip do all the talking/appear to be in charge. Chris is a personnel guy more so than anything.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Well he already knows the division having been in Indy and Jax. That would be a plus for him in the selection process. He would not retain Mularkey IMO. Mularkey was the first person his current boss Caldwell got rid of when he got to Jax. I don't see any way he sees him as a good choice. The Roman connection is a good one. Roman interviewed for OC in Jax last year, too. Chip could be in play. He said he just wants to coach now. And Chris isn't a guy who wants the spotlight at all. He's a behind the scenes type and would have chip do all the talking/appear to be in charge. Chris is a personnel guy more so than anything.

Yolo, there were some reports that both Polians were control freaks at Indy. Is that a bad rap on Chris?

Personally, I thought Indy's personnel choices sucked and are no inducement to hire Chris P., but that's me.

Yolo, there were some reports that both Polians were control freaks at Indy. Is that a bad rap on Chris?

Personally, I thought Indy's personnel choices sucked and are no inducement to hire Chris P., but that's me.

bill was president/CEO and had quite the temper as we all know so can see that being the case - but he had all the control anyway. Chris is opposite personality. Very passive. I wouldn't want him as GM of my team, but given the right set up he will probably get another chance. I feel like he would be better off if he had some kind of czar or president above him. Not sure what their setup is. His brother works in football ops for the Titans though.

Detroit has a GM opening too, right? He hired jim Caldwell in Indy - could see that one too.

If he is hired Doug Marrone will be the next HC.

good point, I could see that Edited by YoloinOhio

Kind of like Kyle, Rex, Rob, etc....

Exactly except Rex actually proved himself for a few years. Rob Ryan has been getting DC jobs when he was one of the worst DCs for years.

Polian helped put together a 2-14 team and is getting more GM looks? The NFL loves nepotism.

i forgot to add that yes, his drafts were terrible. Just awful. Edited by YoloinOhio

Exactly except Rex actually proved himself for a few years. Rob Ryan has been getting DC jobs when he was one of the worst DCs for years.

Polian helped put together a 2-14 team and is getting more GM looks? The NFL loves nepotism.

I totally agree. Shoot I forgot Jay- we cant forget Jay C. Bis!!!!

i forgot to add that yes, his drafts were terrible. Just awful.

I'll admit to not tracking guys in the colts system terribly close but would you peg a guy like Hughes as a bad pick, for instance? That was a polian, right? Was it in part disconnect between him and coaches, or just bad talent acquisition?

I'll admit to not tracking guys in the colts system terribly close but would you peg a guy like Hughes as a bad pick, for instance? That was a polian, right? Was it in part disconnect between him and coaches, or just bad talent acquisition?

I think the OT they just gave a monster contract to was a Polian pick also.

polian drafted Hughes and while now we can see the pure talent evaluation was there, he never ended up getting on the field enough to contribute to the team while Polian was there. IMO that's a failed 1st rd pick.

He was behind freeney and Mathis so makes sense he might not play a lot, but then why take a pass rusher in the 1st?

Edited by YoloinOhio

polian drafted Hughes and while now we can see the pure talent evaluation was there, he never ended up getting on the field enough to contribute to the team while Polian was there. IMO that's a failed 1st rd pick.

He was behind freeney and Mathis so makes sense he might not play a lot, but then why take a pass rusher in the 1st?

More pass rushers is always good. Nothing wrong with BPA there even with 2 quality players.. Fresh rotations, package creativity, injury insurance and lomg term building as opposed to immediate holes

Was certainly a failed pick for them but was it Polians fault if coaches handled it poorly? Was just thinking out loud.

More pass rushers is always good. Nothing wrong with BPA there even with 2 quality players.. Fresh rotations, package creativity, injury insurance and lomg term building as opposed to immediate holes

Was certainly a failed pick for them but was it Polians fault if coaches handled it poorly? Was just thinking out loud.

it wasn't his "worst" pick but it depends on who he passed up to take him who could have actually contributed to the team. I blame him for the Hughes pick in the 1st about as much as I blame Nix for the spiller pick in the 1st. The talent was there to justify the 1st round pick, but was it the best choice for the Bills at the time and would that team have been better with a different player selected that year? the coaches are partly to blame for him not getting on the field enough, and heck maybe Hughes is partly to blame (I have heard that). But I don't give Polian a full pass on that one. Jmo of course.

I certainly think it's a premature evaluation because Chris got fired after only 2 years of Hughes. Not sure if Hughes would have started producing once freeney left. Grigson didn't want him and you can attribute that to them changing coaches/schemes at that point but Hughes is a guy who fits really any scheme and a former 1st rd pick for Sheppard? Weird trade. Anyway I can go on all day about Grigson.

Edited by YoloinOhio

You take him for the same reason we took Marcellus Wiley. You have aging pass rushers, you plan to compete every year, and you can't do that without being able to pressure the QB.

Had his successor not traded him he would have probably become a valuable asset for them.

Similar situation with Cockrell right now.