What will get you excited for next season?

Virgil

Well, we know who our GM, HC, and QB is. The hype of the Rex Show has worn off. This season was a disappointment. Now, on to the next season! What would you need to see to feel optimistic and hyped for the season opener?

1. Hire a legit defensive coordinator and let him do the job. I'm not saying Pettine, but that would be fantastic. Either way, someone that Rex can work with, but let him do his job on gameday. Let Rex be the HC. If Pettine is an option, then throw the money his way and make it happen. I would immediately be excited about our defense if this happened.
  2. Offer Mario a re-structure. If he walks, at least say we tried. Mario has been a productive part of this team and the defensive turnaround started when he signed. He had a bad year during a time when many weren't buying in and everyone on the Defense took a step back. To single him out makes no sense to me. Yes, he was vocal but I'm okay with that. He's a force in the right system and we need to admit this year sucked. Get past it and try to make it work. Again, if he's not in, then let him go.
  3. Re-sign Incognito and Glenn.
  4. Additions, either through the Draft or FA - 2nd WR, ILB, RT. If we can solidify those positions, while finding some depth at G, S, and whatever spots Rex needs for the D.
  5. Rex staying humble this offseason. I feel like NYC was a circus. When he lost there, it was easy to blow off the criticism. I honestly feel like Rex got taken down a peg here these past few weeks. This city embraced him in ways I think surprised him. Yes, we are crazy and irrational as well, but we are also one huge family. Losing here and seeing the reaction from the city had a different affect on him. Way moreso than I ever saw in NYC. I'm really hope this put him in his place and he can focus more on his job than the hype machine.

That's pretty much it

I am already excited for next year. We have a very very competitive team now. If we were healthy, I wish we had 3 or 4 more games this season. They are all on the same page now....We would win them all. Forget Mario, we need the cash for your # 3.

Rex is going to be Rex for the most part. Suck it up fans, he may change a bit, but the Ryans are loose cannons as a group. After years of Jauron and cry baby Mularky and pirate Williams and down home Chan, we got us a star.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing will get me excited for next year. I'm so burnt out on next year...

The only thing that can excite me is dominate football played all the way from Sept thru January.. and I'll let you know if I';m excited mid January

The draft. This team will fill its core holes in the draft.

I agree that the team will fill most holes through the draft, but I still get excited at free agency. Seeing what the Bills and every other team does gets the wheels turning.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I'm already excited for a few reasons:

1) We won't have a "QB rotation" in mini-camps and training camps this year, which will allow Tyrod all the reps with the "1s" and help him develop better chemistry with those players to start the year. Not to mention he probably will b working in the offseason with some of the guys as well. Along with him improving, developing, and learning from his first 14 games as a starter, I would imagine he takes a pretty good size step forward in terms of what he can do, and the offense along with it, which bodes well considering we finished respectable this season on offense.

2) There is almost no way possible we have as many key injuries throughout the season as we did this year. I am not sure if we even had the entire starting lineup on the field for one game this entire year. The injuries were constant and just almost to the point of being unbelievable. This after we had virtually no injuries the year before. Expect regression to the mean here.

3) The defense almost assuredly will get better. Ryan has never fielded a defense outside the top 11 until this year. We have way too much talent on that side of the ball for us to be 19th again. Look for us to be in 8-12 range next year. With the improvement in offense, we should be a fairly formidable team to play. Again regression to the mean at play with Ryan having an entire offseason to figure things out and potentially get rid of a few guys who don't want to "buy in"(aka Mario). Will his loss hurt? Obviously he is a supremely talented player, but one that seems to be more interested in his individual performances than in the teams success. So in some ways it might, but in other ways it might actally help as silly as that may sound and will push the negativity away from the team which may have been a factor in more guys having a similar attitude(ie, "why should I buy in when the highest paid guy on the team doesn't"?)

Edited by matter2003

I am already excited for next year. We have a very very competitive team now. If we were healthy, I wish we had 3 or 4 more games this season. They are all on the same page now....We would win them all. Forget Mario, we need the cash for your # 3.

Rex is going to be Rex for the most part. Suck it up fans, he may change a bit, but the Ryans are loose cannons as a group. After years of Jauron and cry baby Mularky and pirate Williams and down home Chan, we got us a star.

JMJ pray for us.

The only issues I have with your five items are:

#2 I think its time for Mario to go. He doesn't like to play in the style of defense and he has regularly showed how lazy he his at times.

#3 Glenn is going to be a big hit to the cap, I wouldn't be to upset if they judged his contract as too much money to commit to on of 5 positions on the OL.

#5 My disappointment with Ryan has less to do with his bravado than his toughness. Allowing Jerry Hughes to make an ass out of himself each week and hurt the team and not holding players accountable will continue to be a problem if he doesn't kick a little ass once in a while. He wants to be liked by everyone. He needs to channel a little more Bill Parcells or even his father. Toughen up Rex its okay if the players don't always like you.

Rex being better is a combination of #1 and #5. If he has a DC that can run that show and allow him to be just the HC, that's a big difference to me. Then, with #5, being a coach that doesn't motivate his opposing teams, I hope him to be better.

I'm not saying Rex is the answer. His past 5 years would lead me to believe that he's not. But we are stuck with him this year so I'm asking what would be the best of a bad situation.