#2 QB next year

HT02

Not to mention that they save nothing by dumping EJ and replacing him. His contract is guaranteed. I would not be surprised at all to see them draft a QB early (rd2-4) and sign a scrap heap guy to come in and compete in camp with EJ and TT. Someone like TJ Yates or Ryan Lindley (just picking random names). If EJ is cut, I doubt it is done before camp cuts in August/Sept.

They just signed Dysert. He's probably that guy, unless he makes a big improvement.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

I think EJ has a $10 million option next year if he is on the roster March 1st. He is going to get cut.

They just signed Dysert. He's probably that guy, unless he makes a big improvement.

Just as a sidebar on young QBs they are all great until they actually have to play. I remember people on here a few years ago were hoping to draft Dysert. There were threads on all of those guys. Now he is in the system and this is probably the first time that he has been mentioned.

Josh Mccown may be available - they're doing a total rebuild. Foles? He has shown some ability before. Gabbert? He looked better than ever before.

There are no good options for QB2...

I thought EJ was only on year 4... Meaning we have until may to say we arent picking up year 5 - and he plays out year 4 guaranteed. He's still ours for next year i believe.

Edited by dneveu

Keep EJ for 2016. Never know when you'll need to force an offsides - seriously, he's as good as anyone else that's legitimately available, has a whole pre-and-season in Roman's system and he's already paid for.

Draft one in 3rd round, have Tyrod show him how to be an NFL starting QB just like Flacco showed TT.

Josh Mccown may be available - they're doing a total rebuild. Foles? He has shown some ability before. Gabbert? He looked better than ever before.

There are no good options for QB2...

I thought EJ was only on year 4... Meaning we have until may to say we arent picking up year 5. He's still ours for next year i believe.

A developmental draft pick with high upside is my good option. Wentz, Prescott, Brisett. Mobile guys with size and ability. Some people have no hope for Prescott's throwing ability, but idk.

Oh okay, I guess I would keep him them & let him compete for the backup position with another QB that they bring in.

Yeah, and if the Bills are happy with him next year, I imagine they'd give him a new contract, not go with that insane option. Or, EJ will go elsewhere to try to get back to being a starter (wouldn't surprise me).

A developmental draft pick with high upside is my good option. Wentz, Prescott, Brisett. Mobile guys with size and ability. Some people have no hope for Prescott's throwing ability, but idk.

The thing with Dak is continuation of growth. It's very clear that he's working incredibly hard on his craft, he takes it very seriously.

Sounds a little like the guy that started 14 games this year, doesn't it?

I'd still like a vet back there who can play if TT is hurt. He already missed 2 games last year, and i'd like a guy back there who can compete. Not a guy we have to change the gameplan for.

Just as a sidebar on young QBs they are all great until they actually have to play. I remember people on here a few years ago were hoping to draft Dysert. There were threads on all of those guys. Now he is in the system and this is probably the first time that he has been mentioned.

You hit it Kirby. The leap between college and the pros at the QB position is almost unimaginable. Pro LB's run like most college CB's...anticipation and accuracy are at a premium in the pros -- a great college QB can be a see and throw guy. What I was most impressed with TT this year is that he evolved to an anticipation thrower the last half of the year rather than a see and throw guy (like EJ)....most college QBs are see and throw guys...honestly, the best anticipation QB I saw this year in College was #10 from Ole Miss....

Edited by JoeF

Sign a vet.

Draft a rookie.

Let the chips fall where they may.

I fear Taylor is going to play himself out of a starting gig, one way or another.

Of course you do. You were optimistic about a guy who had played poorly and now you are pessimistic about a guy who has played well. Makes perfect sense to me.

Roman desperately wanted Matt Cassel as his backup qb. Not mobile.

Idk how true that is. I remember you saying Cassel would be our starter and that was dependent on the fact that Roman liked him, but "desperate?"

Cassell was just a good vet to have in the first year of establishing an offensive system, I think. But Taylor's good and Cassell doesn't fit (and also sucked), so they traded him.

Vic, is that you?

No it's common knowledge, nice to meet you.

Idk how true that is. I remember you saying Cassel would be our starter and that was dependent on the fact that Roman liked him, but "desperate?"

Cassell was just a good vet to have in the first year of establishing an offensive system, I think. But Taylor's good and Cassell doesn't fit (and also sucked), so they traded him.

Not true. I stated very clearly that prior to the third preseason game, Cassel was "Roman's guy." Couldn't even tell you what that means exactly but he was. I also shared with plenty of posters that Taylor had won the job prior to the fourth preseason game. It was clear that Taylor won the job but Roman still wanted Cassel as his backup.

The thing with Dak is continuation of growth. It's very clear that he's working incredibly hard on his craft, he takes it very seriously.

Sounds a little like the guy that started 14 games this year, doesn't it?

Good to know. I haven't payed much attention to him, but I'll be reviewing his games on draftbreakdown.com.

If he's dedicated, that's great. He could be patient and do well eventually in a system like Roman's. You're right, it does sound like I'm talking about T-Mobile.

No it's common knowledge, nice to meet you.

Not true. I stated very clearly that prior to the third preseason game, Cassel was "Roman's guy." Couldn't even tell you what that means exactly but he was. I also shared with plenty of posters that Taylor had won the job prior to the fourth preseason game. It was clear that Taylor won the job but Roman still wanted Cassel as his backup.

Yeah, I remember. I'm not sure what you meant and you're not even sure what you meant, apparently. I'm glad he's not "Roman's guy" anymore.

Good to know. I haven't payed much attention to him, but I'll be reviewing his games on draftbreakdown.com.

If he's dedicated, that's great. He could be patient and do well eventually in a system like Roman's. You're right, it does sound like I'm talking about T-Mobile.

Yeah, I remember. I'm not sure what you meant and you're not even sure what you meant, apparently. I'm glad he's not "Roman's guy" anymore.

Ha agreed.

I've not caught much of him this year but a few trusted people that have are raving about his improvement. The leap from sophomore to junior was really impressive. Dying to get stuck in to his senior games.

I'll always vouch for Dak Prescott as a human being. He is an outstanding guy and Bills fans would adore him.

I completely agree with you that Tyrod should be challenged for his roster spot, but maybe not this next offseason. Mostly I want to use a Rd1 or Rd2 on a QB and bring him in. EJ is fine as the QB2. I'd prefer to DEVELOP a QB. Tyrod gets next year though I'm not holding out too much hope that he'll see more of the field. You can't deny him the offseason as the QB1 that's how we got into this mess.

:lol:

We pretty much have the same position here, in my original post that started this topic I opened with "it's pretty safe to assume the Taylor will be back as the Bills starting QB next season". What am suggesting is that we should have plan B ready if Tyrod turns into a Trent Edwards/Ryan Fitzpatrick style disaster next year or gets knocked out for the season early on. It would be a disaster if we end up writing off 2016 in October because of one of those two scenerios.

You bring in competition..... Unless you have a Brady, Rogers, Manning, you have competition and whoever is better wins, and with TT running we all know he is going to get hurt. I'm not sure he will ever develop into a top 10 qb either, however has been an improvement and surprise.

I've not caught much of him this year but a few trusted people that have are raving about his improvement. The leap from sophomore to junior was really impressive. Dying to get stuck in to his senior games.

I'll always vouch for Dak Prescott as a human being. He is an outstanding guy and Bills fans would adore him.

Oh no...so the vocal minority would be calling for him to start by game 5 next year.

Not to mention that they save nothing by dumping EJ and replacing him. His contract is guaranteed. I would not be surprised at all to see them draft a QB early (rd2-4) and sign a scrap heap guy to come in and compete in camp with EJ and TT. Someone like TJ Yates or Ryan Lindley (just picking random names). If EJ is cut, I doubt it is done before camp cuts in August/Sept.

EJ is not an NFL caliber QB, he has no upside. Let him go and sign someone with even a remote possibility of winning a game in the NFL.

I've read here that EJ and Tyrod are equally good as long as they throw less than 20 passes. So why don't we trade Tyrod , who would likely net us more in a trade, and keep EJ on the roster while planning to have him throw less than 20 passes per game. Win win situation all around.

Christ. We have a guy who is a pro-bowl alternate, the best QB we've seen since Jim Kelly. and people actually literally write "lets trade him." Thank God we have a real GM. There were maybe five QBs this year who had a better season that Tyrod. Most of them are on their way to the Hall of Fame.

You bring in competition..... Unless you have a Brady, Rogers, Manning, you have competition and whoever is better wins, and with TT running we all know he is going to get hurt. I'm not sure he will ever develop into a top 10 qb either, however has been an improvement and surprise.

Agreed 100%!

I think Taylor has been gradually establishing himself as a leader. Why bring in someone to directly challenge him?

Doesn't that just cause unneeded drama? He won the competition this year, is mastering the offense and the rest of the team is behind him.

Draft a young guy to develop, not challenge for the starting spot. They grabbed Dysert and will probably draft someone like Dak Prescott to groom. Not that that's who I would pick, but at see them doing it.

It shouldn't IMO. If Tyrod is a true competitor he should welcome competition. If he gets upset over it then as far as I'm concerned he's a kitty.

I think you need a solid back up plan at QB with the potential of injury. The way Tyrod plays, his likelihood for injury is higher other QBs in the league. If we want to avoid another loss to a team like Jacksonville because Tyrod got hurt we need a better #2 and if that means bringing someone in who is good enough to challenge Tyrod I'm all for it.

I think EJ has a $10 million option next year if he is on the roster March 1st. He is going to get cut.

No. The team has a so called "5th year option" they can choose to activate which would add another year (2017) to the current 4 yr deal. They obviously will not do that. But I do expect that EJ will be kept atleast through camp and given every chance to compete with whomever else they bring in for the #2 spot. I fully expect Taylor to be the undisputed #1 QB (unless he suffers a terrible injury between now and week 1).

I've read here that EJ and Tyrod are equally good as long as they throw less than 20 passes. So why don't we trade Tyrod , who would likely net us more in a trade, and keep EJ on the roster while planning to have him throw less than 20 passes per game. Win win situation all around.

Have you watched EJ play? You have to be joking.

Christ. We have a guy who is a pro-bowl alternate, the best QB we've seen since Jim Kelly. and people actually literally write "lets trade him." Thank God we have a real GM. There were maybe five QBs this year who had a better season that Tyrod. Most of them are on their way to the Hall of Fame.

I agree that we shouldn't trade him but saying he was the 6th best QB in the league this year might be a bit of a strech...

It shouldn't IMO. If Tyrod is a true competitor he should welcome competition. If he gets upset over it then as far as I'm concerned he's a kitty.

I think you need a solid back up plan at QB with the potential of injury. The way Tyrod plays, his likelihood for injury is higher other QBs in the league. If we want to avoid another loss to a team like Jacksonville because Tyrod got hurt we need a better #2 and if that means bringing someone in who is good enough to challenge Tyrod I'm all for it.

Agreed! Unless you have a all-star caliber guy he should should have to earn his spot and in fact the competition should make him better.

draft a guy if you want, but assuming Roman is still here, I'd wager we'd make a play for Kaepernick

and to me, he fits the Bill(s) ... veteran who can back up and come in if Tyrod gets dinged (which he is scramble away from)

I know he's been bad lately, but Roman did navigate a Kaepernick-led team to the dance and NFC title games ...

Not so funny story about Zac Dysert. Was headed out to Park City, through Denver, to go skiing just after the Denver - Seattle Super Bowl in NYC. Sitting next to me is a pretty big guy wearing a SB hat with a SB pin on it. Asked him if he went to the game and if he had a good time. Kind of chuckles and says - Nah, kind of crappy. I asked him why? Told me his story about being on Denver team, blah, blah, blah. I embarrassedly apologized. He said not to worry about it. We wound up talking all the way to Denver (he asked what team I backed, Super Bowl games that I went to, Bills Super Bowls) like we were sitting at the local watering hole. Nice guy.

To throw a potential back up name out there - Braxton Miller.

Edited by BuffaloBud

I'm not concerned about how Tyrod would react. He's handled competition well already.

I'm concerned with teammates, front office people, and media/fans, all of whom effect team operations.

You have another guy legitimately pushing for a starting spot at QB and you create division, which will hinder the progress this offense made this year. Sammy and Tyrod are in a groove and are establishing themselves as leaders. Role with that. Bringing in a developmental guy would be ideal. A career backup is fine. No one who's expecting to compete for a starting job right away.

They needed a competition in 2015. Not in 2016.

I think Taylor has been gradually establishing himself as a leader. Why bring in someone to directly challenge him?

Doesn't that just cause unneeded drama? He won the competition this year, is mastering the offense and the rest of the team is behind him.

Draft a young guy to develop, not challenge for the starting spot. They grabbed Dysert and will probably draft someone like Dak Prescott to groom. Not that that's who I would pick, but at see them doing it.

I like when Taylor got in the middle of the fracas, grabbed Henderson and told him to go to the huddle.