You can say a lot about EJ......

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's Scott Norwood.

He lost us the Jags game with his meltdown. But if you play that game 10 times he doesn't do that more than once. He's a mid level backup that still has a chance to be a decent or good backup. There are not a lot of good backups in the league.

pretty much. He's won games in the league. I'm sure they will look to upgrade if possible but I think he will be in camp, at least.

He's Scott Norwood.

He lost us the Jags game with his meltdown. But if you play that game 10 times he doesn't do that more than once. He's a mid level backup that still has a chance to be a decent or good backup. There are not a lot of good backups in the league.

I'd agree with all that.

He's Scott Norwood.

I agree that he had a five-minute meltdown in the first half of the Jags game to put the Bills in a big hole. I'm not defending his play during that period. But nobody seems to want to acknowledge that he borught the team back in the second half and got them the lead by late in the fourth quarter, and it was the defense (with some help from the refs on a missed call) that lost the game, making Blake Bortles look like a Hall of Famer.

I agree that he had a five-minute meltdown in the first half of the Jags game to put the Bills in a big hole. I'm not defending his play during that period. But nobody seems to want to acknowledge that he borught the team back in the second half and got them the lead by late in the fourth quarter, and it was the defense (with some help from the refs on a missed call) that lost the game, making Blake Bortles look like a Hall of Famer.

Agreed. Even the two consecutive miscues were not all time miscues. The fumble could have happened to anyone. The guy was unblocked. The pick six Clay fell down. The JAg LB didn't have to cover him and made the easy pick. It's not excusing the staring down of the receiver but a lot of stuff happens on every play. He had his chance and he lost both games. So he deserved huge criticism. But he's not the worst backup or even close to it. We could do worse. Frankly I think we should draft a QB and keep EJ as the backup.

The only way I see him staying here is if they can't find a guy who is happy to come in and be the backup.... he and TT seem to get along and that could play into it... but I expect them to try and upgrade the backup position.

Are you wanting to see them bring in a Matt Moore/Hasselbeck/Cassel type vet? The guys that cost $2.5 - $5M per year? I don't, really.

I do think we should draft a young guy to develop, wherever we see the best value, but I don't see that as depending on a guy who is "happy to come in and be the backup", they don't know whether or not Taylor will take the needed step and we need alternatives at QB

I like a lot about EJM, and supported him up until the Jags Fiasco. That Jags game showed me that he still gets overwhelmed by the situation. The Jags game wasn't even that high pressure, could you imagine him in a game like today's, in Fitz's place?

Crumble...

I think the Jags game showed you more than was there to see. Yes, he had a meltdown in the 1st half, but he brought the team back and scored points in the 2nd half. If our D gets the stop (or the Zebras don't rob them of it), we might all be seeing that game differently. I see EJ kept his composure and kept fighting and scored in the 2nd half. That's kind of the anti-crumble, isn't it?

And it could be argued that Fitz crumbled there at the end, with 3 INTs to mar what was a very strong game to that point. Fitz is still a valuable QB, probably the best backup QB in the league.

Edited by Hopeful

Agreed. Even the two consecutive miscues were not all time miscues. The fumble could have happened to anyone. The guy was unblocked. The pick six Clay fell down. The JAg LB didn't have to cover him and made the easy pick. It's not excusing the staring down of the receiver but a lot of stuff happens on every play. He had his chance and he lost both games. So he deserved huge criticism. But he's not the worst backup or even close to it. We could do worse. Frankly I think we should draft a QB and keep EJ as the backup.

This would be my course of action, too. No more Matt Cassels

Are you wanting to see them bring in a Matt Moore/Hasselbeck/Cassel type vet? The guys that cost $2.5 - $5M per year? I don't, really.

I do think we should draft a young guy to develop, wherever we see the best value, but I don't see that as depending on a guy who is "happy to come in and be the backup", they don't know whether or not Taylor will take the needed step and we need alternatives at QB

I don't really know.... I think maybe they take another TT like gamble on a guy who has sat... I think they should draft a young guy - high if the draft falls the right way for someone they like.... or a mid-round development guy or maybe they find a cheap vet. Don't really have a name in mind.

I still don't think EJ is a lost cause, I think his development got absolutely screwed up his first two seasons. I think he took steps forward with his preseason performance, and even his two games this year (even with the meltdown against Jax), add to that his attitude and team first mentality, I am very much ok with him being our backup QB. If you look around the league at other backups you see A LOT worse, and anyone new would have to learn Roman's system. If we keep both Tyrod and EJ going into next year, we'll have a smoother functioning offense, imo.

I don't really know.... I think maybe they take another TT like gamble on a guy who has sat... I think they should draft a young guy - high if the draft falls the right way for someone they like.... or a mid-round development guy or maybe they find a cheap vet. Don't really have a name in mind.

We need players at so many other positions, I think it'd be a waste of a pick to gamble on a QB in the draft.

His play today was probably the best game of his career.

Kidding aside, I think we all love EJ as a person. He seems like a great guy. As for his play, I don't want him to start but you could do worse for a #2 QB (you could do better, too, but you could definitely do worse).

I think the Jags game showed you more than was there to see. Yes, he had a meltdown in the 1st half, but he brought the team back and scored points in the 2nd half. If our D gets the stop (or the Zebras don't rob them of it), we might all be seeing that game differently. I see EJ kept his composure and kept fighting and scored in the 2nd half. That's kind of the anti-crumble, isn't it?

And it could be argued that Fitz crumbled there at the end, with 3 INTs to mar what was a very strong game to that point. Fitz is still a valuable QB, probably the best backup QB in the league.

You sure are "hopeful".

The celebration was excessive but I agree with everyone- I have noted all year how positive his attitude seems to be every time they show him. He appears to be the epitome of a team player.

Fitz had one of his poorest performances of the year today. He is still a top 32 QB in the league and will be a starter somewhere next year, probably with the Jets.

He's Scott Norwood.

Why doesn't anyone give him any credit for the comeback?