Sammy Watkins has arrived

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the Bulldog (WGR550) got it..... The most important thing from the win.....

Something I do care about is how the Bills won this game. They managed to control the clock on a day where their top ranked rushing attack never really got going. They did this by repeatedly targeting and completing passes to their best player.

Sammy Watkins has had bigger days. He's made bigger plays and electrified fans with touchdowns. Tyrod Taylor has proven to be particularly adept at finding Watkins deep down the sidelines for big gains.

What we really hadn't seen from this Taylor Watkins combo prior to Sunday was the variety of routes we saw them connect on. There were slants and crosses and hooks and screens and what do you know? It worked like a charm. Despite being shadowed by the great Darrelle Revis most of the day, Watkins still managed to go off. 11 catches for 136 yards with no gain longer than 38 yards and that came not on a long ball but on a short crossing pattern.

This seems to me to be the way that teams treat their number one receivers in the NFL. They go to them frequently with a variety of routes and dare you to stop them. That Taylor and Watkins were able to do this on a cold and windy day would be impressive enough. That they did it on a day where there really were no other threats on the field for the Bills offense says even more. There was no support from the top ranked rushing attack in the league. Bills running backs combined to gain a total of 58 yards against the Jets.

So while the overall passing numbers for Taylor don't jump off the stat sheet and Watkins didn't get in the end zone, I'll take the signs of progress in the form of the variety they displayed in their connections into the off season. Ultimately if the Bills are going anywhere with Taylor as their quarterback it will be with more days like the one he and Watkins proved capable of against the Jets.

clap.gif

@MatthewFairburn

Sammy Watkins: All I care about is winning and these guys in this locker room. Everything else outside of that, I honestly don't care about.

@MatthewFairburn

Watkins: Shouldn't have guys like myself lashing out in the media. I shouldn't put my feelings or emotions in the media. That was addressed.

i believe the chart does include yesterday, but was later edited to show that was his full season stats.

Except for tds which he had 9 for the year and avg. 17.5. His 17.5 avg. per catch was 2nd most out of the top 50 wr (yards). On a side note Julio Jones had 204 targets to Sammy's 95, imagine the damage Sammy could have done with that many targets. He's the only guy in the league to have over a 1,000 and under 100 targets. Matter of fact he's the only guy in the league under 100 targets and over 850 yards.

@adamharstad (footballguys.com)

Its not often that, when digging deeper into some numbers, I wind up totally floored.

Digging into Sammys stats has me totally floored.

At first blush, Sammys last 9 games, (49/900/7), seem crazy, but not as crazy as Odell Beckhams last 9 in 2014, (81/1199/9).

But New York attempted 377 passes during Beckhams run. Buffalo attempted just 243(!!!) during Watkins.

Mr. @fbgchase tracks a stat called Adjusted Catch Yards per Team Pass Attempt. Yards, plus a bonus for TDs & FDs, divided by team attempts.

Over the full season, Antonio led NFL last year with 4.07 ACY/TmAtt. Over his scorched-earth 9-game run, Beckham had 4.61 ACY/TmAtt (!!!).

Over his nine game run to end the season this year, Sammy Watkins averaged 5.35 ACY/TmAtt. I dont even have words for that.

During his end-of-year run, Beckham accounted for 43.8% of New Yorks receiving yards. Watkins accounted for 49.3% of Buffalos.

Accounting for context, I think Watkins end-of-year run was every bit as crazy as Beckhams. And both came at just 22 years old.

Biggest concern for Sammy was that he was living on the deep ball in a way thats almost certainly not sustainable going forward.

But from a descriptive, (rather than predictive), standpoint holy hell. What a run.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Its not often that, when digging deeper into some numbers, I wind up totally floored.

At first blush, Sammys last 9 games, (49/900/7), seem crazy, but not as crazy as Odell Beckhams last 9 in 2014, (81/1199/9).

But New York attempted 377 passes during Beckhams run. Buffalo attempted just 243(!!!) during Watkins.

Mr. @fbgchase tracks a stat called Adjusted Catch Yards per Team Pass Attempt. Yards, plus a bonus for TDs & FDs, divided by team attempts.

Over the full season, Antonio led NFL last year with 4.07 ACY/TmAtt. Over his scorched-earth 9-game run, Beckham had 4.61 ACY/TmAtt (!!!).

Over his nine game run to end the season this year, Sammy Watkins averaged 5.35 ACY/TmAtt. I dont even have words for that.

During his end-of-year run, Beckham accounted for 43.8% of New Yorks receiving yards. Watkins accounted for 49.3% of Buffalos.

Accounting for context, I think Watkins end-of-year run was every bit as crazy as Beckhams. And both came at just 22 years old.

Biggest concern for Sammy was that he was living on the deep ball in a way thats almost certainly not sustainable going forward.

But from a descriptive, (rather than predictive), standpoint holy hell. What a run.

No I don't expect it to continue, but also if you saw the deep balls they were usually into coverage and no YAC. Beckham seemed to have at least 4-5 long catch and runs in open space (if anyone cares to check) as does Julio & Antonio. Conversely last year I remember Watkins too having those play too (with Orton @ QB) and certainly remember the one vs. NYJ where he was watching himself on the big screen and was tackled.

Now get him 150 Targets and let's see the results.

Edited by Billsfan1972

That's crazy impressive.

From the article........

The Bills are a much better offense when Watkins is heavily involved.

He is the type of talent that won’t be shut down by any defensive back in today’s NFL.

The only individuals who can prevent Watkins from producing are Watkins himself and whoever is responsible for throwing him the ball. Hopefully, this display at the end of the season will linger in the minds of the Bills coaching staff throughout the offseason. Rex Ryan can’t afford to ignore him as often as they did in 2015.

Amazing what others saw that Roman did not.......

Bowles had said after the game Sunday that many of Watkins' catches actually came against zone coverage and not against straight man-to-man coverage by Revis, though Monday the coach said the Jets played zone perhaps half the time against Watkins and the Bills.

Revis, who didn't meet to the media Sunday, spoke Monday and chalked up Watkins' performance as a great player making great plays.

"It's a battle back and forth," Revis said. "He's a great player. I had a great game plan for him and he made plays. He made plays and it was back and forth. I batted a couple balls down, but at the end of the day, overall, we didn't play well."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57774/darrelle-revis-todd-bowles-not-lacking-confidence-after-sammy-watkins-big-day