2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if Gruden's just trying to make a splash, but I've been high on Cook since last year. I wouldn't mind if the Bills drafted him. He's definitely better than Lynch.

I think he is second behind Wentz. Goff is great in a clean pocket but woeful under pressure and outside of it whereas Cook can definitely make plays scrambling

I think he is second behind Wentz. Goff is great in a clean pocket but woeful under pressure and outside of it whereas Cook can definitely make plays scrambling

That's, like, the exact opposite of what I saw.

Goff's greatest strength is that he can negate pressure with quick, accurate throws and pinpoint ball placement. He does a very good job of maintaining accuracy when he has to shuffle his feet under pressure.

I agree regarding his accuracy on the run not being quite as good as Wentz's though.

Edited by thebandit27

Transcendent? He was good but let's stay in reality for a moment.

The book on Jones is at best an incomplete - that is why a lot of us don't want to spend an early pick. Could there be something there? Sure there could... but it is a huge projection at this stage. Almost no round between 2 and 5 would shock me for Cardale. But if a team is going to pull the trigger early in that range I'd rather it not be us.

He would be a nice late round project for the Bills. Bills have an extra fourth, bonus pick really. take a risk with it .

i don't know what round he will go in or how successful he will be in the NFL. But I do know that the reason he lost the starting job last year has nothing to do with how good of an NFL prospect JT Barrett is, because they do not run anything close to an NFL offense. Barrett was a better fit to run the RPO. He was hand picked to run that offense. Cardale was not even recruited by the current staff for the current system. He's a pro style QB with some mobility. Meyer wants to run his offense first and foremost with a running QB and when it didn't mesh with Cardale's strengths, he didn't feel feel he needed to try to make it work anymore with Barrett healthy.

I have read this before, thats is what makes it hard to project his future.

@RyanTalbotBills

The Bills are reportedly 'enamored' with Cardale Jones and @NateGearyWGR believes the interest is real http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1659238-bills-brass-enamored-cardale-jones

I just do not think that it can be justified to take Cardale Jones in the second round. He had a nice, not great, 3 game stretch at the end of 2014 when nobody had any film on him and he didn't have to carry a talent-laden Ohio State team. Defenses dared him to beat them.

It can be argued that he played very well in those 3 games against good competition, but what happened in 2015 against weak competition to begin the season? 8-5 TD/INT ratio on a very talented Ohio State team with Ezekial Elliot, Michael Thomas and Braxton Miller along with another 1st round pick in Taylor Decker on the OL against not great competition? That is just very hard to explain.

I hear the arguments that he was miscast in Meyer's option offense, but he still should have done better against the collection of teams that he faced this year - at least in my opinion.

I am not at all confident in EJ Manuel after his 3 years hear, but he has pretty much the same physical tools that Jones has and had a LOT more experience in college with better stats, too. I just can't see spending a mid-2nd round pick on Jones because he seems like such a long-shot to me. I would be hesitant to take him even in round 3. After that, I could get on board with the gamble.

Look at it another way, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins were FAR more accomplished in college than Jones was, yet they were 3rd and 4th round picks respectively.

I just do not think that it can be justified to take Cardale Jones in the second round. He had a nice, not great, 3 game stretch at the end of 2014 when nobody had any film on him and he didn't have to carry a talent-laden Ohio State team. Defenses dared him to beat them.

It can be argued that he played very well in those 3 games against good competition, but what happened in 2015 against weak competition to begin the season? 8-5 TD/INT ratio on a very talented Ohio State team with Ezekial Elliot, Michael Thomas and Braxton Miller along with another 1st round pick in Taylor Decker on the OL against not great competition? That is just very hard to explain.

I hear the arguments that he was miscast in Meyer's option offense, but he still should have done better against the collection of teams that he faced this year - at least in my opinion.

I am not at all confident in EJ Manuel after his 3 years hear, but he has pretty much the same physical tools that Jones has and had a LOT more experience in college with better stats, too. I just can't see spending a mid-2nd round pick on Jones because he seems like such a long-shot to me. I would be hesitant to take him even in round 3. After that, I could get on board with the gamble.

Look at it another way, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins were FAR more accomplished in college than Jones was, yet they were 3rd and 4th round picks respectively.

Some team will take a stab early at his boom potential. Not sure if the Bills should do it that early with him needing at least 1 season before he'll be NFL ready.

That's, like, the exact opposite of what I saw.

Goff's greatest strength is that he can negate pressure with quick, accurate throws and pinpoint ball placement. He does a very good job of maintaining accuracy when he has to shuffle his feet under pressure.

I agree regarding his accuracy on the run not being quite as good as Wentz's though.

by under pressure I should have said when he gets hit, in the pocket he is a wizard, outside not so much

@JoeBuscaglia

This is a fun one. A report says the #Bills are "enamored" w/ OSU QB Cardale Jones. Makes sense to me. Here's why: https://t.co/J1t1gcnb0r

:death:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

If the Bills really like Cardale Jones, the question is do you roll the dice and try to draft him with your 3rd round choice, or do they just select him with their 2nd round choice or some sort of a trade up in between their 2nd and 3rd?

If the Bills really like Cardale Jones, the question is do you roll the dice and try to draft him with your 3rd round choice, or do they just select him with their 2nd round choice or some sort of a trade up in between their 2nd and 3rd?

They would be betting on his boom potential. IMO, they shouldn't give up picks for him. Instead they should place a value on him and draft him if he falls where that value is.

They would be betting on his boom potential. IMO, they shouldn't give up picks for him. Instead they should place a value on him and draft him if he falls where that value is.

You mean, just like Buddy did with Russell Wilson? You make it sound like they are just applying a mathematical formula. It's far more subjective, especially when it comes to a QB. Jones will probably go higher than many think he "deserves", but if he succeeds, the team that took him will have scored a major coup and the teams that "stuck to their boards" will be rightly second-guessed.

You mean, just like Buddy did with Russell Wilson? You make it sound like they are just applying a mathematical formula. It's far more subjective, especially when it comes to a QB. Jones will probably go higher than many think he "deserves", but if he succeeds, the team that took him will have scored a major coup and the teams that "stuck to their boards" will be rightly second-guessed.

It has nothing to do with the Russell Wilson situation because neither one of us knows how high the Bills have him rated. I have already argued that Jones will go higher than many people think due to his enormous potential, but I still don't want the Bills to give up picks to get him.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

In an ideal world I would like to see the Bills trade down in the first and get an extra late 3rd that they could use on Jones if he is still there. They could still get a quality starting Dline or OL player in the late 1st and have that extra 3rd to pick up a developmental player like Jones with a boom or bust potential with a high ceiling. With the depth in the draft at positions of their needs this year the Bills could potentially get starters in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd with their picks, and use the extra 3rd on high ceiling, developmental risks/rewards players like Jones. As long as TT does not sustain a long term injury this year, they could let Lee try to develop him. Due to the cap EJ will still be here as a short term replacement if TT is injured. With a year of work with Lee the Bills would have a good idea by the draft next year what they have in Jones, and decide what to do. I don't see EJ still here next year, and if they think Jones has something they can have him as either a backup or keep developing him as a future starter.

It has nothing to do with the Russell Wilson situation because neither one of us knows how high the Bills have him rated. I have already argued that Jones will go higher than many people think due to his enormous potential, but I still don't want the Bills to give up picks to get him.

I did not say anything about giving up picks for him. But if he is there in the 3d it would be idiotic not to pick him because our "board" has him rated as a 4th.

I did not say anything about giving up picks for him. But if he is there in the 3d it would be idiotic not to pick him because our "board" has him rated as a 4th.

Tell that to OBD, not me. They'll rate or value him as they see fit and select accordingly. Apparently they like him since he was in town for a visit.