2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

Yes, we do indeed need to draft a QB

Taylor has not proven he can be a franchise QB, and EJ has proven that he most certainly cannot.

He hasn't? LOL.

OK

Unless we have a shot at a top 2 QB in this year's draft without trading up, I don't want another project QB. This is already said to be an extremely weak QB class, so you guys want to draft the 4th or 5th best QB in a weak QB class?

No thanks. There's way too many holes to fill on this team. OT, CB, LB, S, DE, NT, WR should all be considered before we even think about drafting a QB. Just sign a FA QB and have him compete with EJ for the backup role.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't? LOL.

OK

Unless we have a shot at a top 2 QB in this year's draft without trading up, I don't want another project QB. This is already said to be an extremely weak QB class, so you guys want to draft the 4th or 5th best QB in a weak QB class?

No thanks. There's way too many holes to fill on this team. OT, CB, LB, S, DE, NT, WR should all be considered before we even think about drafting a QB. Just sign a FA QB and have him compete with EJ for the backup role.

And then 2 years from now, if Tyrod is just average or below and we're in need of a QB, but don't have a top 5 pick, we'll be blaming Whaley for not having one in development...

He hasn't? LOL.

OK

That's correct--he hasn't.

If you want to anoint the guy after 14 starts, go for it.

Me? I've seen way, way, way too many QBs that are capable of playing well for short stints come and go in this league to call what Tyrod did in 2015 proof that he can be a starting QB long-term, let alone a franchise guy.

Case-in-point: Nick Foles in 2013--27 TDs and 2 INTs, 10-5 record as a starter. Nick Foles in 2015: Benched for Case Keenum.

It's definitely one of those years (because of TT).

The Bills won't be the 1st pick in the draft any time soon. You draft a guy now and let him learn behind the vet.

In my mind you really aren't truly competitive without a franchise QB. Every other position can be addressed in free agency . I think you always draft a QB every year that you don't have a top 12 paid QB on your roster (or a guy you are certain will be a top 12 paid guy). As long as your QB is cheap, you should have no problem "filling holes" in free agency. The only way to seriously upgrade QB is through the draft. It really is impossible to end up with too many good QBs on your roster.

My appologies, I can see that I wasn't exactly clear. I was not referring to finding a backup QB. I should have

said "QBs who become good starters for many years".

I have no problem with people wanting to draft a QB after pick 36 in order to find a serviceable backup. But people should keep in mind that a serviceable backup QB is not a good QB. Odds of finding a good QB after pick 36 are extremely slim.

Garrard was a starter.

He hasn't? LOL.

OK

I would go best player available BPA in all rounds. This team is closer than we think to being a 11 to 12 win team . Go BPA in each round, if its a QB, fine , take the QB. Frankly, I would lock up the team we have right now; go back out next year and go win 10+ games I think. We are at the BPA stage of development. Whaley/Rex did a great job last year bringing in 7 upgrade starters .. if we can get 2 or 3 for next year you have to like our chances..

Me? I've seen way, way, way too many QBs that are capable of playing well for short stints come and go in this league to call what Tyrod did in 2015 proof that he can be a starting QB long-term, let alone a franchise guy.

Case-in-point: Nick Foles in 2013--27 TDs and 2 INTs, 10-5 record as a starter. Nick Foles in 2015: Benched for Case Keenum.

Well, to be fair to Foles, he did switch offenses, OCs, and so forth. Not sold on Fisher. But the whole kit n' caboodle will be on the road outta here.

I'm witcha on Tyrod though. Does he bring excitement sometimes with his deep balls and his legs? Yes. But I watch condensed film in slomo and all 22 on every Bills game, and he also misses a lot. Not throws - he either throws or he's pretty accurate. He rolls out of the pocket sometimes buying time to make a low percentage or high risk throw, then either scrambling or taking a hit, when he could step up to a throwing lane and an easy throw over the middle. When he dumps off, he has the habit of throwing at shoelaces. He's fumbled quite a bit (yes, I know, most have been recovered). Whenever he passed >30 times a game, we lost.

I'm not trying to dump on the guy. Like I said, he brings excitement. He's earned the right to be the starter. It may be true that he's the best Bills QB since Flutie; that bar is almighty low. One of two things will happen. He'll show that the Jets game was no fluke, and he's taken a step, and he'll get paid and stay here. Or he won't, and teams with a year of tape on him will figure out how to shut him down, and we'll need a QB.

I would go best player available BPA in all rounds. This team is closer than we think to being a 11 to 12 win team . Go BPA in each round, if its a QB, fine , take the QB. Frankly, I would lock up the team we have right now; go back out next year and go win 10+ games I think. We are at the BPA stage of development. Whaley/Rex did a great job last year bringing in 7 upgrade starters .. if we can get 2 or 3 for next year you have to like our chances..

We can't lock up the team we have now, alas for that pesky Cap. Somebody must go, and it looks as though Mario W. is the sacrificial scapegoat.

Well, to be fair to Foles, he did switch offenses, OCs, and so forth. Not sold on Fisher. But the whole kit n' caboodle will be on the road outta here.

I'm witcha on Tyrod though. Does he bring excitement sometimes with his deep balls and his legs? Yes. But I watch condensed film in slomo and all 22 on every Bills game, and he also misses a lot. Not throws - he either throws or he's pretty accurate. He rolls out of the pocket sometimes buying time to make a low percentage or high risk throw, then either scrambling or taking a hit, when he could step up to a throwing lane and an easy throw over the middle. When he dumps off, he has the habit of throwing at shoelaces. He's fumbled quite a bit (yes, I know, most have been recovered). Whenever he passed >30 times a game, we lost.

I'm not trying to dump on the guy. Like I said, he brings excitement. He's earned the right to be the starter. It may be true that he's the best Bills QB since Flutie; that bar is almighty low. One of two things will happen. He'll show that the Jets game was no fluke, and he's taken a step, and he'll get paid and stay here. Or he won't, and teams with a year of tape on him will figure out how to shut him down, and we'll need a QB.

I agree with most of that.

Tyrod, for me, has definitely earned the right to go into the offseason as the starter. He will need to show improvement in certain areas (climbing the pocket, seeing the middle of the field, getting the ball out faster) or he'll eventually be solved by opposing DCs.

To me, this is the perfect time to draft a guy in rounds 2-3 that the team believes can develop. Now. Before you need him to play.

And then 2 years from now, if Tyrod is just average or below and we're in need of a QB, but don't have a top 5 pick, we'll be blaming Whaley for not having one in development...

OR we draft one now who becomes nothing and keep drafting one every single year. I don't see the point in that. Tyrod has shown more promise in less than a full year than any QB that has come out that tunnel since Kelly.

I believe in quality over quantity and this class is not good. But go ahead and waste a 2nd or 3rd rounder on someone who will be nothing but a journeyman backup. What do I know. lol

I'll anoint him our franchise guy right now. You'd be singing a completely different song if our defense played lights out and we made the playoffs. I'll guarantee you that.

I'm not saying he's elite. He's far from elite but if teams can go to the super bowl with Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Neil O'Donnell, Joe Namath, Kerry Collins, Brad Johnson, Stan Humphries, as their QBs, we can go with Tyrod if we put the right pieces around him. He's more than capable.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

OR we draft one now who becomes nothing and keep drafting one every single year. I don't see the point in that. Tyrod has shown more promise in less than a full year than any QB that has come out that tunnel since Kelly.

I believe in quality over quantity and this class is not good. But go ahead and waste a 2nd or 3rd rounder on someone who will be nothing but a journeyman backup. What do I know. lol

I'll anoint him our franchise guy right now. You'd be singing a completely different song if our defense played lights out and we made the playoffs. I'll guarantee you that.

I'm not saying he's elite. He's far from elite but if teams can go to the super bowl with Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Neil O'Donnell, Joe Namath, Kerry Collins, Brad Johnson, Stan Humphries, as their QBs, we can go with Tyrod if we put the right pieces around him. He's more than capable.

Actually, it's beyond pompous to tell me what I'd be saying under any circumstances

I'm entirely capable of making an evaluation based upon his play. In fact, if you're basing the evaluation on his record as a starter, then I believe it's flawed.

Every lowbrow QB you reference is from over 14 years ago. The NFL is a QB driven league now.

The goal is to have a QB with whom you can win a super bowl. The closest guy you can compare to the rag tag crop that you reference in the last 10 years is Flacco, and he was exceptional that postseason.

And as I said, if you're comfortable with him after 14 starts, then great. I'm not there yet, and therefore I'm 100% behind drafting another potential franchise guy.

Actually, it's beyond pompous to tell me what I'd be saying under any circumstances

I'm entirely capable of making an evaluation based upon his play. In fact, if you're basing the evaluation on his record as a starter, then I believe it's flawed.

Every lowbrow QB you reference is from over 14 years ago. The NFL is a QB driven league now.

The goal is to have a QB with whom you can win a super bowl. The closest guy you can compare to the rag tag crop that you reference in the last 10 years is Flacco, and he was exceptional that postseason.

And as I said, if you're comfortable with him after 14 starts, then great. I'm not there yet, and therefore I'm 100% behind drafting another potential franchise guy.

Of course the goal is to win a SB. But you also have to deal with the situation you are in. If the ideal qb is not available you then focus on upgrading your team on both sides of the ball. When you are in a position to acquire a high end qb prospect you do so.

Is TT a high end prospect? Probably not? How many elites qbs are their in the league? Maybe four or five at the most. So the next best option is to take what you have and put that qb (good to average) in the best postion he can be in so that he can succeed. You upgrade the OL, have a good running game and give the qb some playmakers to work with.

Andy Dalton isn't a great qb but he played at a high level before he got hurt. He became a very good qb this year and in recent years, because he was playing on an offensive unit that had a lot of talent. Carson Palmer has been playing at a high level the past couple of years. Without a doubt his physical abilities have diminished somewhat compared to his younger player days. Yet the Cardinals are a SB contending team because he is playing with a much more talented team compared to when he played in Cincinnatti and Oakland. Kirk Cousins is not, and probably will never be, an elite qb. But as his team improved his play improved to the point that the team is going to invest in him as their long term starter.

I'm a believer that TT can be a quality starter in this league. Am I sure that my assessment of him will materialize? No. No one can say for sure. What I can say is that next season we should have a good grasp on how good or not he will be as a qb.

Of course the goal is to win a SB. But you also have to deal with the situation you are in. If the ideal qb is not available you then focus on upgrading your team on both sides of the ball. When you are in a position to acquire a high end qb prospect you do so.

Is TT a high end prospect? Probably not? How many elites qbs are their in the league? Maybe four or five at the most. So the next best option is to take what you have and put that qb (good to average) in the best postion he can be in so that he can succeed. You upgrade the OL, have a good running game and give the qb some playmakers to work with.

Andy Dalton isn't a great qb but he played at a high level before he got hurt. He became a very good qb this year and in recent years, because he was playing on an offensive unit that had a lot of talent. Carson Palmer has been playing at a high level the past couple of years. Without a doubt his physical abilities have diminished somewhat compared to his younger player days. Yet the Cardinals are a SB contending team because he is playing with a much more talented team compared to when he played in Cincinnatti and Oakland. Kirk Cousins is not, and probably will never be, an elite qb. But as his team improved his play improved to the point that the team is going to invest in him as their long term starter.

I'm a believer that TT can be a quality starter in this league. Am I sure that my assessment of him will materialize? No. No one can say for sure. What I can say is that next season we should have a good grasp on how good or not he will be as a qb.

I've never disputed any of that.

My point is simply that you don't want to be in a position where you first have to go searching for your next potential franchise QB if Taylor doesn't turn out to be the guy.

You want to have a guy with that potential already in the fold.

My point is simply that you don't want to be in a position where you first have to go searching for your next potential franchise QB if Taylor doesn't turn out to be the guy.

He's also slight of frame and exposes himself to injury every game. Of course they need to strongly consider drafting a QB. Can we keep this thread to discussing QB prospects please? Appreciate your excellent analyses Bandido!

The problem/reality is that teams do go through elite qb prospect droughts that last for years because they are not in position to acquire that type of prospect.

The mistake that this organization made is that it waited too long to draft a qb and then it got to the point under Nix when it was decided it was imperative to select a qb in a barren qb years. Reaching for any position in a draft is a mistake, especially for the qb position.

Sometimes the best approach to take is to get a stop gap qb as we did with TT and as the Jets did with Fitz. It's not a perfect solution but enables you to reasonably compete and gives you more time to continue with your quest for an upgrade at the position. Sometimes you get lucky as the Cardinals did with Palmer and just maybe we might have gotten lucky with TT on an unexpected upswing.

It's been 3 years...

EJ didn't work. Tyrod is good, so they can draft a talented guy this and develop him. Not throw him to the wolves. This is what they need to do, since they're not going to have a #1 pick with an elite prospect waiting to sign.

I wouldn't be opposed going BPA either since we have needs in almost every position.

It's been 3 years...

EJ didn't work. Tyrod is good, so they can draft a talented guy this and develop him. Not throw him to the wolves. This is what they need to do, since they're not going to have a #1 pick with an elite prospect waiting to sign.

I'm all up for that, except there's no talented QB in this year's draft class. You people think I'm opposed to drafting a talented QB and sitting him for 2-3 years and let him develop. I'm all for it but not every QB is going to develop into an elite QB just by sitting on the bench. There's no talent at QB this year. People need to get over it

I wouldn't be opposed going BPA either since we have needs in almost every position.

I'm all up for that, except there's no talented QB in this year's draft class. You people think I'm opposed to drafting a talented QB and sitting him for 2-3 years and let him develop. I'm all for it but not every QB is going to develop into an elite QB just by sitting on the bench. There's no talent at QB this year. People need to get over it

if you expecting a Luck then no but there are plenty of potential starters in the Rivers/Roethisberger mold in; Cook, Goff, Lynch and Wentz. Hackenberg and Doughty have the tools it's just a matter of displaying it at the NFL level.