2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan is projected late rd as a good back up qb.

And I like Hogan in that role as a 5th or 6th rounder. Buffalo Barbarian doesn't believe in picking late round QBs. I think if someone you like is there at a value you like you take them.

I'd like to take a short earlier if someone slides but if not Hogan as a late pick I like.

I could see Hogan as a choice. Remember the Stanford connection there.

I don't believe that the Bills will take an earlier QB because they won't want to create a QB controversy. This may be the wrong approach in the long run, however. We have plenty of backup QBs; if Goff-Lynch is somehow there in RD1 (or if Dak is there in RD3), you pull the trigger regardless of controversy. Call it competition for Tyrod--and just do it.

1 19 Buffalo Josh Doctson WRF TCU

2 49 Buffalo Kyler Fackrell ILB Utah State

3 80 Buffalo Dak Prescott QB Mississippi St

4 114 Buffalo Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado

5 144 Buffalo Robert Aguayo PK Florida St

6 174 Buffalo T.J. Green FS Clemson

I could see Hogan as a developmental guy later on as well. I am sure they like his experience and familiarity with a pro style offense, especially one with Roman roots.

How early would you take Hogan?

I would not be surprised if, in RD4, the Jets take him over Doughty. Bad news for them, they'd have to leapfrog us to take him,

How early would you take Hogan?

I would not be surprised if, in RD4, the Jets take him over Doughty. Bad news for them, they'd have to leapfrog us to take him,

i would probably not take him that high. It seems with a defensive draft this deep we might be able to get a starter as late as the 4th. I would take him in the 5th-6th. Do you think the Jets would use another 4th on a QB after taking petty in the 4th last year? They have a ton of holes to fill.

I think poise in an interview won't answer the onfield leadership questions. Cook will still be one of the more overdrafted players this year. I'm starting my list with Diche, Dodd, and Cook.

Bills really think they have the QB Whisperer on their staff. http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/lee_david/49968f10-6ab2-488d-abc0-852291512e71

This means that:

(1) They still think they can make EJ into a starting QB.

(2) They can take a developmental QB late and mold him into a starting QB, providing competition for T2's backup.

Or both.

But if Paxton Lynch fell to them at #19, I don't think they would upset the apple cart by taking him. I think they wait until Day 2 or 3.

And I like Hogan in that role as a 5th or 6th rounder. Buffalo Barbarian doesn't believe in picking late round QBs. I think if someone you like is there at a value you like you take them.

I'd like to take a short earlier if someone slides but if not Hogan as a late pick I like.

It`s not that I don't think we should ever draft one late it's that I want a potential starter. This way either the draft pick or tt become the back up.

Who would bother to smokescreen a late round prospect?

I'm just trying to keep my hopes up.

I think poise in an interview won't answer the onfield leadership questions. Cook will still be one of the more overdrafted players this year. I'm starting my list with Diche, Dodd, and Cook.

Cook is a player regardless of imaginary immaturity.

Obviously, I wasn't 100 percent playing against Penn State, Iowa and Alabama," Cook said. "After the season, I talked to my agent Joel Segal and we felt like the best option was to go to California to start training and rehabbing, so that I'd be 100 percent for the Combine and Pro Day and that stuff.

It`s not that I don't think we should ever draft one late it's that I want a potential starter. This way either the draft pick or tt become the back up.

I think he will last well into day 3, but I see Hogan as a potential starter with a ceiling of say, Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. He started 4 years for a very successful program in a pro-style offense. He is quite mobile and extremely durable. Would it be cliche to describe a Stanford QB as smart? Seems like a guy who could be a capable backup in his first year. I'm wondering if someone will take him earlier than we all think.

I think he will last well into day 3, but I see Hogan as a potential starter with a ceiling of say, Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. He started 4 years for a very successful program in a pro-style offense. He is quite mobile and extremely durable. Would it be cliche to describe a Stanford QB as smart? Seems like a guy who could be a capable backup in his first year. I'm wondering if someone will take him earlier than we all think.

Respectfully disagree. I think he is a smart and high character but I see zero upside. I think his ceiling is backup qb at best. Smith and Dalton were stars in college. Hogan was a game manager.

IMO, Stanford might be one of the best situations for Qbs. Loaded team with great coaching. He doesn't have to win games like other qb prospects. He is along for the ride. JMo.

Respectfully disagree. I think he is a smart and high character but I see zero upside. I think his ceiling is backup qb at best. Smith and Dalton were stars in college. Hogan was a game manager.

IMO, Stanford might be one of the best situations for Qbs. Loaded team with great coaching. He doesn't have to win games like other qb prospects. He is along for the ride. JMo.

I thought the same thing after his first two or three years, but I think he has really improved. I also think his arm is underrated. We'll see.

I thought the same thing after his first two or three years, but I think he has really improved. I also think his arm is underrated. We'll see.

I think he is put in an amazing situation. They are a run first team with maybe the best player in the country and a great oline. I think he throws kinda sidearm too and worry about his arm strength.

But he does have seem to be a smart and high character guy. I just really think there isn't any upside and that's what I would want in a later round qb. You want a guy who can be developed. I think Hogan has been developed as much as possible and he hit his ceiling.

The below link is a WGR link with Howard Simon talking to Steve Mench about the draft. It is about a 10 minute link discussing this year's draft. In the last two minutes he was asked to compare Hackenberg to the qbs drafted in the year Manuel was drafted, including Barkley and Nassib. Mench made the point that it was an awful qb year. He felt that Hackenberg with all his question marks would have been rated at the top of that draft. The takeaway was the Manuel selection in the first round was not a smart selection.

The obvious moral of the story is reaching for a need rarely works out. Draft for talent and not for positions. Teams that stick to their board usually draft better.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/113517039/steve-mench-of-scouts-inc-talks-combine.htm

The below link is a WGR link with Howard Simon talking to Steve Mench about the draft. It is about a 10 minute link discussing this year's draft. In the last two minutes he was asked to compare Hackenberg to the qbs drafted in the year Manuel was drafted, including Barkley and Nassib. Mench made the point that it was an awful qb year. He felt that Hackenberg with all his question marks would have been rated at the top of that draft. The takeaway was the Manuel selection in the first round was not a smart selection.

The obvious moral of the story is reaching for a need rarely works out. Draft for talent and not for positions. Teams that stick to their board usually draft better.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/113517039/steve-mench-of-scouts-inc-talks-combine.htm

I mean it's one guy's opinion. Manuel was picked in the 1st because of all of his physical and mental tools. It's the same reason people might like CH.

Manuel never had the hype of CH but he never looked as bad in college as CH has the last 2 years. The best thing for CH will be to fall in the draft and have a chance to develop.

I'm somewhere between. Not sure I see Smith or Dalton talent... but a Fitzpatrick or Hoyer level ceiling of bottom end starter / top end back up I do see and if you get him in the 5th or 6th that is a good outcome.

Not a bad comparison. I kinda like Stanford and never really saw a NFL starter in Hogan. But who knows with Qbs?

Manuel never had the hype of CH but he never looked as bad in college as CH has the last 2 years.

Really?? I thought Hogan looked very good this year. As you have pointed out, he had a strong supporting cast and great coaching, but still . . .

I did not see EJ play much in college. I know he put up some pretty good numbers, but the level of competition was not great. And in the biggest game of his senior year, against Florida (one of the few games I saw), he was cover-your-eyes awful. He looked absolutely flustered and completely hopeless, kind of like how he looked against Houston last year.

Edited by mannc

Pre-Combine/Pre-FA Prediction: the pick at which each QB goes:

1 2 Cleveland Jared Goff QB California

1 13 Philadelphia Carson Wentz QB North Dakota St

1 15 Los Angeles Paxton Lynch QB Memphis

2 41 Chicago Connor Cook QB Michigan St

3 80 Buffalo Dak Prescott QB Mississippi St

4 115 NY Jets Kevin Hogan QB Stanford

4 116 Houston Brandon Doughty QB Western Kentucky

5 153 Kansas City Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State