Dennis Thurman should never, ever be allowed to speak

Beerball

Guys, we should be loving Thurman right now. This interview makes firing him much more palatable for Brandon et al. The buffalo media needs to swamp him with interviews digging for more gold.

That said, him saying "I have no idea what's going on" was clearly directed towards what's "going on" in the media / what players are saying. Not much better, I know.

That said, hoping for Rex to coexist with a real DC with a real D rather than an assistant teacher is a pipe dream.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the disappointment, I don't think getting rid of a coach after one season makes any sense. Next season is another story altogether. The heat is on.

So, since this is the first season with the new hierarchy in place (ownership on down) everyone is safe because they have only been in place one season. Can't agree with this at all.

Should we take continuity one step further? After all, it is the first season for all of these players too. I think they all deserve a do over too.

You really take this interview at face value? I don't. Thurman knows very well that the defense underperformed far too many times this season. Like I said, he's being his normally difficult, grumpy self when it comes to dealing with the media.

Hoodie has earned the right to treat the media with disdain. Dennis Thurman is no hoodie.

He does act like the Bully Rex likes to talk about though. He doesn't want to have to think about giving a somewhat thoughtful answer to a thoughtful question (maybe he doesn't have the ability to) so he becomes the bully and bows his back and plays dumb whilst spittle is flying from his mouth as he blusters.

Continuity...

Has Rex ever fired a coordinator before?

Rex definitely strikes me as a guy who believes in loyalty to his staff. And he definitely comes off as a 'mentor' to Thurman. What happens with Thurman when the season ends will be one of the most interesting developments.

You have to wonder if there were discussions of conditions with Pegula prior to the announcement that Rex was coming back. You would have to think "something has to change with the management of the defense" would be a key topic. Whether you believe Thurman is just a pawn (and Rex is really running the D show) or Thurman actually is running the D - getting rid of Thurman makes sense in both cases. If he really is running the D he sucks at it, if Rex is running the D I say to him if you stay you need to hire a real D coordinator, let him run the defense an put more energy and focus into the responsibilities of HC ( because you've sucked at that)

Great sound bite isnt it ? What has the FO done in the past decade to show they are smarter ? As a group, consensus on this board has been more right than wrong regarding many of the FO moves. In my mind, this quote has lost much of its wisdom due to the team's track record.

Well, to be fair to Marv, and to put his words in context, he was speaking at The Bills Head Coach at the time and he was referring to fans wanting to go for it more on 4th down.

Thurman should stay. it will hasten Ryan's departure,maybe as early as the 2017 season. Then yet another rebuild can begin.

it is hard to believe this inept staff is going to screw up yet another season in 16. rex should have been fired for his game day management alone. And his insane philophsy of letting the players apparently run the asylum. Apparently TP has no issues with this style of coaching.

#continuitymovingbackwords

Rex definitely strikes me as a guy who believes in loyalty to his staff. And he definitely comes off as a 'mentor' to Thurman. What happens with Thurman when the season ends will be one of the most interesting developments.

You have to wonder if there were discussions of conditions with Pegula prior to the announcement that Rex was coming back. You would have to think "something has to change with the management of the defense" would be a key topic. Whether you believe Thurman is just a pawn (and Rex is really running the D show) or Thurman actually is running the D - getting rid of Thurman makes sense in both cases. If he really is running the D he sucks at it, if Rex is running the D I say to him if you stay you need to hire a real D coordinator, let him run the defense an put more energy and focus into the responsibilities of HC ( because you've sucked at that)

You just said exactly what I was thinking. Monday will be an interesting day for sure. IMO Thurman is a piece of crap who is always spouting off. Rex bringing him here was a huge mistake, again IMO.

So, since this is the first season with the new hierarchy in place (ownership on down) everyone is safe because they have only been in place one season. Can't agree with this at all.

Should we take continuity one step further? After all, it is the first season for all of these players too. I think they all deserve a do over too.

Hoodie has earned the right to treat the media with disdain. Dennis Thurman is no hoodie.

He does act like the Bully Rex likes to talk about though. He doesn't want to have to think about giving a somewhat thoughtful answer to a thoughtful question (maybe he doesn't have the ability to) so he becomes the bully and bows his back and plays dumb whilst spittle is flying from his mouth as he blusters.

Continuity...

I get your points. So with Rex coming back, what do you want or better yet expect to happen to Thurman?

Thurman should stay. it will hasten Ryan's departure,maybe as early as the 2017 season. Then yet another rebuild can begin.

it is hard to believe this inept staff is going to screw up yet another season in 16. rex should have been fired for his game day management alone. And his insane philophsy of letting the players apparently run the asylum. Apparently TP has no issues with this style of coaching.

#continuitymovingbackwords

We hired the wrong coach- the problem is if you fire a coach after 1 year who wants to come here? Anyways thats how I see it. And im now stating again, I hated the Rex hire and still do.

Maybe our players are just too fukin stupid to run Rex's D.

I'm not arguing the D shouldn't have been adjusted to fit the players we have, but maybe you have to install it first to see who has the mental capacity to thrive in it.

RTB

I don't agree with this. I didn't want Rex gone but I think Thurman has done a bad job this year.

Thurman has done a bad job this year and because crap trickles down hill, it's landing on Thurman. Rex, I believe, will be asked to make changes to his staff. I would be surprised if Thurman and Crossman are back next year.

so Rex is a very "experienced" coach ....

amongst many game management issues, didn't immediately have in place a "challenge" system that worked......

we have a DC who is either a liar or clueless.

Not true. He won 5 of 6 challenges to begin the season. They needed to revamp it after the failures against KC at Arrowhead.

We hired the wrong coach- the problem is if you fire a coach after 1 year who wants to come here? Anyways thats how I see it. And im now stating again, I hated the Rex hire and still do.

This gets repeated here a lot. The only example is Cleveland. But I don't see any really good (not like Pettine was) HC prospect/candidate seeing Buffalo as anything like the Browns. Their roster sucks, their owner sucks, their new GM will suck.

I think these guys will look at the Rex hire as what it was, a mistake, and they would jump at the chance to correct that error for the Pegulas.

Well, to be fair to Marv, and to put his words in context, he was speaking at The Bills Head Coach at the time and he was referring to fans wanting to go for it more on 4th down.

And the fans are right about that more often than the coaches, too.

I get your points. So with Rex coming back, what do you want or better yet expect to happen to Thurman?

What I want, knowing Rex will be back...

He needs an assistant HC. The assistant HC must be detail oriented and he must have a strong feeling for game day/in game activities. Rex gets all wrapped up in himself and he isn't a HC on Sunday. The AHC must be the disciplinarian because Rex doesn't have the stomach for such things. The AHC must be given the leeway to impose discipline on players and he must get 100% backing from Rex. The AHC must be allowed to manage the games. As others have pointed out in many threads when you see Rex on the sidelines he's got his play sheet and he's making the defensive calls. Let him do that. Let the AHC manage timeouts, challenges, getting plays into the huddle on time. Ideally the AHC will have a strong offensive background. Let Rex do what he does, but force him to hire someone to watch his back.

He needs an assistant HC. The assistant HC must be detail oriented and he must have a strong feeling for game day/in game activities. Rex gets all wrapped up in himself and he isn't a HC on Sunday. The AHC must be the disciplinarian because Rex doesn't have the stomach for such things. The AHC must be given the leeway to impose discipline on players and he must get 100% backing from Rex. The AHC must be allowed to manage the games. As others have pointed out in many threads when you see Rex on the sidelines he's got his play sheet and he's making the defensive calls. Let him do that. Let the AHC manage timeouts, challenges, getting plays into the huddle on time. Ideally the AHC will have a strong offensive background. Let Rex do what he does, but force him to hire someone to watch his back.

This sounds like a prudent approach and I hope they will implement something along these lines with the right person.

CAn't slpit the HC job. Where is what you are describing done? If he needs all that help then he's not the HC in any way.

Let him run the ship completely for another year. Maybe Kim and Terry will wake up and realize they jumped too soon--that they were Rex's career lifeline, not the other way around.