Chip Offed...the old block

@jayglazer

In my convo w Chip he said next stop he just wants to coach & insists he does NOT want to be the personnel guy too. This is significant

He wouldn't get it anyway

A bit off topic but they were blasting Kiko on Philly talk radio this morning.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20151230_Chip_said_he_wasn_t_Eagles__GM__now_he_s_right.html

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I don't get: according to the reports, Kelly was fired because he refused to give up personnel control. But now he's saying that he doesn't want personnel control in his next job.

I continue to believe there is more to this story. Firing the guy with 4 days left in the regular season makes no sense unless something happened that made the two sides livid at each other (like Kelly's agent approaching Lurie about a buyout or a trade to Tennessee).

Here's what I don't get: according to the reports, Kelly was fired because he refused to give up personnel control. But now he's saying that he doesn't want personnel control in his next job.

I continue to believe there is more to this story. Firing the guy with 4 days left in the regular season makes no sense unless something happened that made the two sides livid at each other (like Kelly's agent approaching Lurie about a buyout or a trade to Tennessee).

I agree...maybe this will help a bit

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles

I'm curious what the pro-continuity crowd thinks about this move. He was in the process of building "his" team. Should he have been given more time?

Not to turn it into a Rex thread, but it's pertinent to this topic. I see what has been happening in Philly as a crystal ball for what the Bills are now experiencing. Each one of them (Rex and Chip) never came to their team demanding power over personnel. Chip had issues with his FO (sound familiar?) and demanded he be given the players he needed for "his system". Will the Bills follow the same path? While we won't likely see a fire sale like we did in Philly, Rex is going to want to mold a former top 5 defense with "his own players". Do we want to be in Philly's position in 2 more years?

He had success with a talented roster put together by different regime. When he tried to mold it according to his own vision , it was a total disaster .

The guy he replaced. Andy reid was fired after 14 years and a final 4-12 season. Those players got to 10-6 the following year with Kelly.

Was it the coach? or the players that get credit for that?

kelly effed up by taking the personel role. His coaching is a different thing. The hoody** hired him as a consultant. When he was

Still at Oregon. 26-21 as the beagles coach. His mistake again was taking too much power. As a coach? he makes Ryan look like the dumb arse he is.

The guy he replaced. Andy reid was fired after 14 years and a final 4-12 season. Those players got to 10-6 the following year with Kelly.

Was it the coach? or the players that get credit for that?

kelly effed up by taking the personel role. His coaching is a different thing. The hoody** hired him as a consultant. When he was

Still at Oregon. 26-21 as the beagles coach. His mistake again was taking too much power. As a coach? he makes Ryan look like the dumb arse he is.

I think you are overrating the coaching job he did. Reid's final year was one of those injury plagued seasons where everyone knows early on that a relatively long tenured coach is on his way out and it all rather collapsed. The 4-12 team he inherited was more talented than a 4-12 team. He never really worked out the defense and his offense regressed the more teams got NFL tape on him and the more he traded away stars he couldn't be bothered to manage. I told you I thought he would be gone and I am 100% convinced the Eagles have made the right move.

yep i remember that though it has not so much to do with coaching and his players, and his wins. Which is what I thought was the out of control comment was.

i think the AD at Oregon takes as much heat on that. They happened in the chip kelly "era" The punishment was minimal. At oregon Kelly was simply the head coach. i can see why people dislike Kelly so much here. he had even in Philly the best record since the Levy era in Buffalo. handed Rex his butt.

No doubt though he tore down a good team and made it worse. IMO he would make an awesome OC. pricey though.

i can see why people dislike Kelly so much here. he had even in Philly the best record since the Levy era in Buffalo. handed Rex his butt.

No doubt though he tore down a good team and made it worse. IMO he would make an awesome OC. pricey though.

1) I don't dislike Chip Kelly. I jus don't really rate him that highly.

2) Wade Phillips had a season in Buffalo better than any Chip has had in Philly.

3) The fact Chip handed Rex his ass means nothing... Rex is out of his depth as an NFL HC too.

4) I think his offense has been worked out. I really do. The core play book is the same 12 plays over and over and over. Just ran to opposite sides and at such tempo to stop the defense subbing. Defenses look to me to have worked it out. I really hope he goes to Tennessee as just the coach because I think people will then see that it is the coaching as much as the personnel stuff that has sunk Chip.

Edited by GunnerBill