Injuries are the #1 thing that derailed this season, Mario 2

TheFunPolice

Does it not bother you that we locked up a massive amount of cap dollars in a DL that is wasted with a Rex Ryan scheme?

It bothers me that we tied up a lot of dollars for players that aren't making plays in this defense. I understand that players like Marcel and Mario were put in a position to maximize their specialties last year. And I understand that they're not being put in similar situations with as much frequency this year. I find it very hard to believe that the scheme dictates they make zero plays doing anything other than what maximizes their strengths. I think it's more than likely that players like Marcel and Mario are not succeeding more often than not because of their own effort. And given the amount of we're paying them, that frustrates me.

Does it not bother you that Rex effectively stated that the defense was already built?

No. I couldn't give two ***** what Rex Ryan says when there's a microphone in his face.

Does it not bother you that "the plan"....to have a stellar D(already built) and add some star value to the O to make it competent in order to potentially have a 2-3 year window to make a run.....is now effectively blown up as we need to re-up the defensive talent because of Rex's scheme?

No. Because they followed that "plan"--to merge what made this defense successful last year with what made Rex successful in the past--and by Rex's own admission, it failed. Miserably. So they scrapped the old stuff and went with the new. Did NE2 look more like Schwartz D or Rex's Jets of old? That was a Rex Ryan defense through and through. Why we haven't seen something that looks like that since, I'll never know. The one thing I can tell you is that guys came out of that game nicked, and the floodgates opened the following week when, suddenly in KC, Darby was getting beat deep and the LB's were dropping like flies.

Meanwhile, the offense set out to exactly what it pledged. Be in the top 15, don't turn it over and run at will.

I'm bothered by the outcome of the season but the "plan"--specifically on defense--I believe unfolded precisely as I recalled above because:

1. They were having difficulty getting the old and the new to mesh.
  2. They got the new working, but it got derailed because of injuries.
  3. And now, here in the last third of the season, we've got malcontents willfully sabotaging their success.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what clues the offseason moves will provide about the "plan" moving forward, a "plan" which remains unannounced and quite frankly, undecided.

****, for all we know they could fire Rex and Crossman, promote Roman to HC, promote Anthony Lynn to OC and bring back Schwartz as the league's most handsomely compensated assistant head coach/director of defense (or some bull ****.)

And I actually wouldn't be all that pissed about this plan. Pissed that we wasted this season, but optimistic about the new direction.

I have never been so disheartened as a Bill's fan as I am now. We finally were going in the right direction....and then the hubris and disingenuousness of Rex derails the whole thing.

Yeah, you'll have to get over that. If we start winning, you'll have to learn to love it. :pirate:

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

92% of snaps and not appearing on the stat sheet. Precisely what are you defending as it pertains to Mario?

Wood, Graham and Watkins all made comments that were pretty clearly direct at Mario.

I 100% agree with you but.....What did they say? I haven't seen anything. Seriously.

Does it not bother you that we locked up a massive amount of cap dollars in a DL that is wasted with a Rex Ryan scheme?

It bothers me that we tied up a lot of dollars for players that aren't making plays in this defense. I understand that players like Marcel and Mario were put in a position to maximize their specialties last year. And I understand that they're not being put in similar situations with as much frequency this year. I find it very hard to believe that the scheme dictates they make zero plays doing anything other than what maximizes their strengths. I think it's more than likely that players like Marcel and Mario are not succeeding more often than not because of their own effort. And given the amount of we're paying them, that frustrates me.

Does it not bother you that Rex effectively stated that the defense was already built?

No. I couldn't give two ***** what Rex Ryan says when there's a microphone in his face.

Does it not bother you that "the plan"....to have a stellar D(already built) and add some star value to the O to make it competent in order to potentially have a 2-3 year window to make a run.....is now effectively blown up as we need to re-up the defensive talent because of Rex's scheme?

No. Because they followed that "plan"--to merge what made this defense successful last year with what made Rex successful in the past--and by Rex's own admission, it failed. Miserably. So they scrapped the old stuff and went with the new. Did NE2 look more like Schwartz D or Rex's Jets of old? That was a Rex Ryan defense through and through. Why we haven't seen something that looks like that since, I'll never know. The one thing I can tell you is that guys came out of that game nicked, and the floodgates opened the following week when, suddenly in KC, Darby was getting beat deep and the LB's were dropping like flies.

Meanwhile, the offense set out to exactly what it pledged. Be in the top 15, don't turn it over and run at will.

I'm bothered by the outcome of the season but the "plan"--specifically on defense--I believe unfolded precisely as I recalled above because:

1. They were having difficulty getting the old and the new to mesh.
  2. They got the new working, but it got derailed because of injuries.
  3. And now, here in the last third of the season, we've got malcontents willfully sabotaging their success.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what clues the offseason moves will provide about the "plan" moving forward, a "plan" which remains unannounced and quite frankly, undecided.

****, for all we know they could fire Rex and Crossman, promote Roman to HC, promote Anthony Lynn to OC and bring back Schwartz as the league's most handsomely compensated assistant head coach/director of defense (or some bull ****.)

And I actually wouldn't be all that pissed about this plan. Pissed that we wasted this season, but optimistic about the new direction.

I have never been so disheartened as a Bill's fan as I am now. We finally were going in the right direction....and then the hubris and disingenuousness of Rex derails the whole thing.

Yeah, you'll have to get over that. If we start winning, you'll have to learn to love it. :pirate:

Did NE2 look more like Schwartz D or Rex's Jets of old? That was a Rex Ryan defense through and through. Why we haven't seen something that looks like that since, I'll never know.

With a comment like this, I'll never know how you can have such strong convictions regarding RR "getting it fixed." This is a major major red flag.

This is a bizarre point. You're comparing apples and oranges, but you're not even giving the oranges a fair crack.

Eliminating this season, with both guys having 10 years in the league, Rex Ryan had top-10 defenses every year but one. And they were 11 that year.

I think we're talking about Rex's ability to coach a defense in this discussion, so let's not ignore the consistent success he's had. Mario Williams has been many things, consistent isn't among them.

Well, now, let's look at this. Your statement bolded above is pretty much exactly what Whaley said in a radio interview on WGR. Is it true? Yes, but....

There are two major rankings of NFL D's, yards per game, points per game. Both have their flaws as metrics, but guess which one is more tightly correlated to winning? :D

It is a true statement that Rex has had top-10 D every year but one - Using the stat Yards per Game.

Using the stat "Points per Game", we have: #1, #6, #20, #20, #19, #24. Whaley was cherry-picking the stat that is more favorable to Rex and his Ds, but less important to winning.

OK let's go back to the Ravens. The two years before Rex was promoted to DC, they were 6th on pts and 3rd then 6th on yds. During the Rex years, they were 22nd on pts and 6th on yds, then #1 on both, then 10th on pts, 6 on yds. So, his first year as DC, Rex took a D that was elite by any category, and had it give up a lot of points.

Now on a really top D, usually there's no difference, but when there is, it always begs the question "what's going on"? If I cared enough, I'd look under the hood and ask how did Rex's D really work during the years where there were big disparities. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't care enough.

The point is, it's only true that Rex has always had top-10 Ds except for 1 year, if you look at the metric "yds"

If you look at the metric "points given up", he has had D's in the top 1/4 of the league 3 out of 9 years as DC or HC. He has had top-10 Ds 4 out of 9 years. And he has had Ds in the bottom tier 5 out of 9 years.

So is he a defensive genius? Or does his D work when the stars align, the moon is over the formahaut, and just the right players are wearing his jersey?

I guess we'll find out.

I feel, somehow, adding Harvin to that list is important because he was critical in the early season wins which he played. The Colts game was huge.

If we keep Mario until June 1st we end up saving a lot. $7mm in dead money. Right now we are hurting terribly for cap space, in fact, we are $5mm over the cap right now for 2016.

So, how are we going to resign Incognito, Glenn and so many others? We are actually in a rough spot, considering we have Gilmore to resign in 2016.

Free agents in 2016:

Bradham

Glenn

Incognito

Ron Brooks

Carrington

Bryant

Butler

Hogan

Charles

Powell

Rambo

Schmidt

Mills

Gillislee

Tarpley

The ones in red are players who I feel we must resign. I would like to resign Bradham and his price should be lower. But the idea of losing Powell and Bradham, Brown going no where fast and Lawson long in the tooth we could have 3 (or 4, depending on how you want to view it) new LB's for next year.

So, where are we going to be able to reinvest in this **** Rex wants to run?

Get our system back. Keep Mario. Draft a new MLB. resign the guys in red. throw money at Bradham and Powell and see if they take it. Hope Mills is cheap. Bring in an RT for camp to compete. Draft BPA in the draft and it will shirley address positions of need.

But, your belief that we are going to be alright spending next year is insane; Whaley has a lot of work to do.

Surely you must be joking; and stop calling me Shirley......dangnabbit those tricky words - - - - :doh:

I feel your pain, Dibs. Yes, those things bother me greatly.

I have to love a post that uses "hubris" and "disingenuousness" in one sentence. Hubris, disingenuousness, and string theory in one evening. My cup is full. :beer:

There will be injuries again next year....and the year after that....and the year after that.

not like it was this year....the one thing that kept buffalo competitive in 2014 lack of injuries...one thing kept buffalo from being more competitive in 2015 amount of injuries wasn't just backups playing but back ups backups

There is lot more than Injuries and Mario.

This team was undisciplined. Too many penalties that put the offense and defense in holes that they could not recover. Responsibility soles rests on Ryan and his coaching staff, especially the stupid Taunting penalties by Jerry Hughes.

If the team did not have a true complementing 2nd WR, then it again falls on the coaching staff to have not recognized that early in the system. If Woods was NOT going to be the 2nd WR, then why have him on the team. This is a brain scratcher to me and again falls on the Coaching staff and the General Manager.

The defense had a lot of difficulty in learning this play book. They were not able to play their natural game. Preston Brown who had to make the calls, himself said so. Again, this falls on the Coaching staff for not recognizing this as an issue and adapting to it.

The offense had difficulty converting 3rd and short all year long. First downs that could have kept the drives going. This was indicating of a very average football team.

No Mario is not a cancer....This team flat out sucked. As Dixon clearly stated....this team played like a bunch of individuals....If they played with the team mentality they would have won with their talent.

#1 Injuries

#2 Mario being a locker room cancer

That's my top 2 things that derailed this season.

Let's talk injuries first.

Remember when Harvin was playing? He was a key factor early in the season. He was supposed to be that threat alongside McCoy, Sammy and Clay, with Woods and Hogan as complementary players. He made some nice plays early in the year and looked like a great pickup.

Harvin going down REALLY hurt the offense IMO. Suddenly it was Sammy and Clay. Then Sammy and Clay started getting banged up. Not having that true #2 WR was a serious blow to the offense, and Harvin was pretty much done very early in the year.

Then McCoy missed a lot of time early on with the hamstring. Suddenly our RBs were going down left and right. That hurt the running game and timing.

Before the season even got rolling we lost Powell and Wynn to season ending injuries in August. While these guys were not stars in the league, what they are is two solid depth players that would have seen a LOT of playing time. We lost them before the campaign even began. So it stands to reason that whoever was behind them in the rotation is another level of dropoff.

Then there is the issue of safety, which is a key position in Rex's defense. Our best young safety was lost in week 2 and never came back. We basically played without the guy who was supposed to anchor the back end all season.

Speaking of great players, what about Kyle Williams? He is a leader in the locker room and a very good DT. He went down about halfway through the season and it hurt.

Our young starting QB missing a couple of games did not help matters at all.

I'm probably forgetting a few. But these hurt a young team trying to gel in a new system. IMO Powell, Wynn, Harvin, Kyle Williams, and Aaron Williams hurt the most. That's a lot of solid to very good talent that missed all or most of the season. On a young team trying to get with a new system that is disaster.

This is not a team like NE* that has been in the same system, with the same coach and same QB for what seems like forever (it seems like it's been 100 years or so). We are in year #1 of a new system with a whole new staff and a 1st year QB. It's a lot to expect everything to go as planned when so many key men miss such enormous chunks of time.

Then there is Mario Williams, a $100 million dollar player, being a locker room cancer.

Too harsh? When guys like Sammy mention "cut him" and "do your job" (without naming anyone) you are seeing a simmering anger boil over, IMO.

That doesn't just happen out of the blue. I think it is a symptom of a long-simmering issue behind the scenes. Guys are starting to talk because they probably are about to snap hearing about the "system" and how they stink this year.

When one of your KEY men is half-assing it and whining about scheme it affects the guys around him. This is $100 million you have tied up in this headache.

I really like Mario as a player, but this immature behavior cannot be tolerated. Simply put, they can take the $7 dead money hit and use the $12 million in savings to sign two $6 million players that WANT to play this defense and are 100% in. Net result (along with Wynn, Kyle and Powell coming back) is going to be a MUCH better defense.

I have a lot of hope for 2016.

no, it was rex misusing his players and not being a real HC but rather a glorified DC.

Yes there will always be injuries, but this team doesn't have the depth or stability to overcome them.

Everyone is new and the schemes were new. The starting QB wasn't known until late August.

Then you have injuries to key men everywhere as you are trying to implement everything. That hurts a LOT.

When you have an established system that everyone understands (and buys into 100%) you have an easier time overcoming key injuries.

and that last point is what they will have next year. 2015 is all just fallout from changes in ownership/coaching/QB/RB/WR/TE + Defensive Exotica ... when your owner dies and you replace everyone, yeah, yr 1 will be a challenge. a year of mammoth change. and they are still looking at a .500 season. give the new guys a chance and stop asking to blow it all up again. what did you expect Rex to say a year ago? that we were rebuilding and it may take some time to gel? Of course not.. geez

here's what derailed our season

#1 - Coaching: defensive Scheme change

#2 - Penalties: nearly led the league

#3- Roster depth sucks

#4- Injuries: the bills are NOT even in the top 10 of Man Games Lost to Injury

Edited by papazoid

I count the excuse of injuries as BS !! Go look at where the Pats are at or where they are going !!

They have as many if not more injuries to starting personnel that are more than huge contributors to winning & they just keep on going .

If they would have stayed healthy this year i could have seen them going undefeated !! But even with all the injuries they had & all the starters that we had come back we still couldn't beat them which was BS !!

That game was one we should have won, the only true weapon they had was Gronk & even though they took him out of the equation we still fell short ...

So tell me more how the injuries are a legit excuse :thumbdown: !!

IMHO the ah way to complicated Defensive scheme that Rex & company employs has much more to do with the defensive collapse & the out come of the team having a losing record this year than anything else !

If the D played even close to what they did either of the last 2 seasons we would have 3+ more wins & even Whaley said in a interview on WGR that the very complicated defensive scheme had something to do with the D's ineptness this season ...

Well, now, let's look at this. Your statement bolded above is pretty much exactly what Whaley said in a radio interview on WGR. Is it true? Yes, but....

There are two major rankings of NFL D's, yards per game, points per game. Both have their flaws as metrics, but guess which one is more tightly correlated to winning? :D

It is a true statement that Rex has had top-10 D every year but one - Using the stat Yards per Game.

Using the stat "Points per Game", we have: #1, #6, #20, #20, #19, #24. Whaley was cherry-picking the stat that is more favorable to Rex and his Ds, but less important to winning.

OK let's go back to the Ravens. The two years before Rex was promoted to DC, they were 6th on pts and 3rd then 6th on yds. During the Rex years, they were 22nd on pts and 6th on yds, then #1 on both, then 10th on pts, 6 on yds. So, his first year as DC, Rex took a D that was elite by any category, and had it give up a lot of points.

Now on a really top D, usually there's no difference, but when there is, it always begs the question "what's going on"? If I cared enough, I'd look under the hood and ask how did Rex's D really work during the years where there were big disparities. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't care enough.

The point is, it's only true that Rex has always had top-10 Ds except for 1 year, if you look at the metric "yds"

If you look at the metric "points given up", he has had D's in the top 1/4 of the league 3 out of 9 years as DC or HC. He has had top-10 Ds 4 out of 9 years. And he has had Ds in the bottom tier 5 out of 9 years.

So is he a defensive genius? Or does his D work when the stars align, the moon is over the formahaut, and just the right players are wearing his jersey?

I guess we'll find out.

Yes this summarizes the "myth of wrecks"... I've previously challenged a poster who I can now only assume is actually Buddy Ryan with this same aguement, mainly, in points allowed Ryan's defenses were bad more than good and the Ravens, jets and now bills enjoyed better and more consistent success either before, after his tenure or both... Facts are there... Crickets.

Wrecks is indefensible and this solid NFL roster will now need a reboot, and we'll endure at least 2-3 more years of "rebuild" until enough water is under the bridge for pegs to swing the axe. That outta be past contract or career sunsets for a bunch of the elite talent on the roster...

9-7 in 2014 will be another peak in retrospect as this d-bag collects his money and dives in front of every camera around until he gets fired in 2017 for a 4 win season

here's what derailed our season

#1 - Coaching: defensive Scheme change

#2 - Penalties: nearly led the league

#3- Roster depth sucks

#4- Injuries: the bills are NOT even in the top 10 of Man Games Lost to Injury

no one has brought up penalties yet, wow. But it was a big part

Ok, injuries are not "an excuse" because the Patriots* who have one of the top 2 QBs of all time and one of the top 2-3 coaches of all-time have been able to go 3-3 in their last 6 games after injuries decimated their team.

That's right. 3-3. .500. A decade and a half into one HOF coach's system, one HOF QB running the offense year in and year out.

And that's the Patriots* who always win everything and are already cleaning up the trophy case for their 5th Lombardi.

But we're supposed to expect the Bills to overcome because "injuries are not an excuse."

Look, I agree that these are not the ONLY things that derailed this season. But when everyone is new, you name your starting QB in late August, and then key players start going down as you are trying to install everything it will have an effect.

Next time someone says to you "but the Patriots*" when you bring up injuries remind them that they've gone 3-3 since being hit with them.

Brady and Belichick > pretty much every other HC/QB combo ever.

Edited by TheFunPolice

There will be injuries again next year....and the year after that....and the year after that.

unfortunately we can't be like those lucky playoff teams who made it through the season without Injuries, Patriots, Broncos, Bengals, Texans, Packers, etc........

Rex is the only Cancer (if you don't like cancer you could use any STD or Aids in its place) on this team just like he was in NY/NJ. It's not a coincidence that he leaves and they are looking like a powerful team again on the verge of making the playoffs while his new team I'd taking 2 steps back when it only needed to continue what it was doing to leap ahead.

Unfortunately TP has decided that they need to see more from this moron so they won't be embarrassed by letting him go after one year and instead look like even bigger idiots by keeping him around and continuing to step backwards. Atleast the fans can continue to save their money for playoff tickets for another few years....

Ok, injuries are not "an excuse" because the Patriots* who have one of the top 2 QBs of all time and one of the top 2-3 coaches of all-time have been able to go 3-3 in their last 6 games after injuries decimated their team.

That's right. 3-3. .500. A decade and a half into one HOF coach's system, one HOF QB running the offense year in and year out.

And that's the Patriots* who always win everything and are already cleaning up the trophy case for their 5th Lombardi.

But we're supposed to expect the Bills to overcome because "injuries are not an excuse."

Look, I agree that these are not the ONLY things that derailed this season. But when everyone is new, you name your starting QB in late August, and then key players start going down as you are trying to install everything it will have an effect.

Next time someone says to you "but the Patriots*" when you bring up injuries remind them that they've gone 3-3 since being hit with them.

Brady and Belichick > pretty much every other HC/QB combo ever.

invade you didn't know, they have been battling injuries all season, not just the last few weeks to WRs and their oline, and are going into the playoffs again as the #1 team in the AFC. Yeah,keep using the Bills injuries as excuses, that's what's really keeping them from turning the corner. Not because their inept reject HC decided that the defence that was one of the top earldom the league last year with o e of the best dlines needed to be changed to his scheme negating the positives and strengths of the highly paid dline in place,and he coached them to have the most penalties in the league by a wide margin.

unfortunately we can't be like those lucky playoff teams who made it through the season without Injuries, Patriots, Broncos, Bengals, Texans, Packers, etc........

Rex is the only Cancer (if you don't like cancer you could use any STD or Aids in its place) on this team just like he was in NY/NJ. It's not a coincidence that he leaves and they are looking like a powerful team again on the verge of making the playoffs while his new team I'd taking 2 steps back when it only needed to continue what it was doing to leap ahead.

Unfortunately TP has decided that they need to see more from this moron so they won't be embarrassed by letting him go after one year and instead look like even bigger idiots by keeping him around and continuing to step backwards. Atleast the fans can continue to save their money for playoff tickets for another few years....

invade you didn't know, they have been battling injuries all season, not just the last few weeks to WRs and their oline, and are going into the playoffs again as the #1 team in the AFC. Yeah,keep using the Bills injuries as excuses, that's what's really keeping them from turning the corner. Not because their inept reject HC decided that the defence that was one of the top earldom the league last year with o e of the best dlines needed to be changed to his scheme negating the positives and strengths of the highly paid dline in place,and he coached them to have the most penalties in the league by a wide margin.

The Patriots did all their winning while they were healthy.

Since Edleman and co. have missed time, they've suffered. Ditto Dalton/Bengals. You're making his argument for him.

Edited by The Big Cat

and that last point is what they will have next year. 2015 is all just fallout from changes in ownership/coaching/QB/RB/WR/TE + Defensive Exotica ... when your owner dies and you replace everyone, yeah, yr 1 will be a challenge. a year of mammoth change. and they are still looking at a .500 season. give the new guys a chance and stop asking to blow it all up again. what did you expect Rex to say a year ago? that we were rebuilding and it may take some time to gel? Of course not.. geez

but that's not an excuse, there was no need for the level of change they are going to have to do just so they can save face and not fire Rex after one horrible season. There was no reason the defence had to be changed, and that blame goes more to whomever made the decision to bring Rex in knowing he would want to change it. This should have been an easy coaching transition, they only needed to find someone who was willing to leave the defence alone and concentrate on fixing the offence. This could have been a dream job for many offensive coaches, getting to walk into a team with a great defence and given the reigns to rebuild the offence how they wanted it. How many coaches can say they get to walk into that scenario?

Unfortunately the Bills did the exact opposite of what they should have done, like usual, and found the I e person who wanted to fix what wasn't broken just because it wasn't the way he normally would have it.

The Patriots did all their winning while they were healthy.

Since Edleman and co. have missed time, they've suffered. Ditto Dalton/Bengals. You're making his argument for him.

yeah, it's only been the last few weeks that the patriots have been scouring the dumpsters for RBs and Gronk and the WRs have only been getting injured the last couple games. Their online has been healthy all year aside from the last couple games,my mistake.

We've been bothered with way too many injuries, and its been that way since Rusty left.

I agree. I have maintained this since Mularkey fired him & hired a crony from his Pittsburgh days.

Rusty ultimately went to the Bears and their health immediately improved - I remember Urlacher commenting on it. (Reuben Brown was wrapping up his career there)

Earlier today I saw a Ch 2 discussion between Stu Boyer & Vic Carucci (on-line). Stu brought up this point. Off course I agreed but shouted where was this astute journalistic observation and question back in the Mularkey days?!?!?! I was disappointed in Carucci's reply, basically poo-pooing the notion.

I'd be interested if Reuben Brown would comment on this on one of his late night appearances on channel 2.